Your favorite aromas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvs

Master Chef
your favorite kitchen aromas, i mean.

has this question been posted before? if so, i apologize.

anyhow, my favorite of all is anything with sage. i adore that aroma. it's just lovely.

i might not drink coffee, but i could hang around and smell it all day long, either brewing or better yet, freshly-ground coffee beans.

and bread baking, i almost forgot that one. yummmmm.....

how 'bout you? what are your favorites?

Last edited:
Steeping grains while brewing (It's that grainy-sweet smell you get when you drive by a brewery)

Hickory smoke from a smoker

Apple pie in the oven

Thanksgiving morning in the kitchen when the turkey is cooking...

John

When I'm baking a traditional Christmas cake or christmas puddings are steaming away....

A traditional roast beef and yorkshire pudding 'roast dinner'

Coffee brewing

Bread baking

Scotch broth, simmering away and getting tastier and tastier with every hour....

Freshly baked bread.......or a nice roast in the oven....mmmm makes me hungry and its only 720 in the morn....

There are too many that I would pick. Off the top of my head these are the ones I am thinking of, but this is in no way a complete list.

Coffee
Garlic
Meats browning
Apple pie baking
cinnamon
Fresh baked bread
Wood smoke
All the Thanksgiving smells
I even love the smell after the dishwasher finishes washing
Fresh herbs
The smell of ripe fruits

Here's my personal Top Ten favorite aromas (Ever notice that an Aroma is a good thing, a Smell is a bad thing and a Scent is a perfume?)

1. Coffee Roasting! We have a place downtown that roast's their own beans. I could float away to heaven on the scent.

2. Coffee Brewing.

3. Bread Baking

4. Onion Baking in the oven. (Especially if it's cold and snowy. It just screams Christmas to me)

5. Cake Mix when you first open the box.

{Edited to add: "Whoops! I got of the subject (blush)" }

Non-Kitchen Aroma's

6. Crayons when you first open the box.

7. A new school book.

8. A bag of Halloween Candy.

9. The smell of the air after a frost has settled on fallen leaves.

10. The smell of leaves burning in the autumn.

11. (okay I lied) The smell of fresh cut grass.

~ Raven ~

GB said:
There are too many that I would pick. Off the top of my head these are the ones I am thinking of, but this is in no way a complete list.

Coffee
Garlic
Meats browning
Apple pie baking
cinnamon
Fresh baked bread
Wood smoke
All the Thanksgiving smells
I even love the smell after the dishwasher finishes washing
Fresh herbs
The smell of ripe fruits

Really??? How odd...I've never noticed for I am the dishwasher!

i love the aromas you guys mentioned.
ronjohn, i was gonna say Thanksgiving dinner, too, lol. yum, roast turkey and gravy and crescent rolls.....:-p
raven, you wrote it just right. new crayons and new school books used to be the best thing. any new book is such a good smell but i think especially if it has those glossy pages it's the best. even the smell of all the old books in the library is one i like.
since we're speaking of both kitchen and non-kitchen aromas, my favorite non-kitchen ones are Baby Magic, my beloved nag champa, sage-scented candles, plumeria body oil, and the smell of burnt-out matches, of all things, lol.:-p and is there anything like freshly-washed-and-bleached bedsheets? or the scent that comes from that vent outside your house when someone's doing laundry? and Christmas trees!

I used to like the old mimeograph copies we used to get in school, too... :wacko:

John

luvs_food said:
even the smell of all the old books in the library is one i like.

Oooh yes, I love that musty smell of the Archives at the library. I could live there.

I know this sounds wierd, but the smell of old mouldering cardboard screams CHIRSTMAS to me.

Everyone in my house was allergic to live trees so we had an artificial one that only came out once a year, the rest of the year it was sealed in an ancient cardboard box and stuffed in the attic. :mrgreen:

~ Raven ~

Lets see, the aroma of ravioli sauce simmering on the stove, the smell of garlic and onions even on my hands after working with them, yeast after it is mixed to make a sponge, and the bread baking,the tartness of a good vinegar as you mix a vinegrette,a ripe melon as you cut into it. Ripe peaches and apricots.. popcorn popping, the smell of the tom and jerry my dad use to brew up on christmas .That yummy smell when you tuck your nose into one of your grandbabies necks.. Towels full of that fresh sunshine smell as you take them down to fold..NOT the dryer sheets, but hung in the sun:LOL: The smell of love when your dear ones hug you..

kadesma:)

I grew up on a farm in Iowa, so some of my favorites are a little different.

I love the smell of:
  • freshly plowed fields
  • freshly cut lucerne (hay) and haystacks
  • the clean, fresh smell following rain
  • the smell of the seasons - each season has a distinctive smell
  • musty barns
  • leather (saddles, boots - - check your local Western Wear store)
In the kitchen:
  • bread baking
  • popcorn
  • coffee
  • vanilla
  • cilantro (& other herbs/spices)
  • nutmeg

GB said:
I love how you smell after you finish washing the dishes Tanis :mrgreen:

Thank you!!!
I would start listing all the things I love to smell, but the best is just after a rain....the burning leaves, ahhh anything out doors....sage brush......sunlight....dont say it can you can smell it! No different then the smell of ***.....i know i shouldnt say that either but you can!!!

ok......gg before i get smacked

I'm in the middle of cooking a huge batch of tomato sauce since I harvested my first big arm load of ripe tomatoes this am so at the moment, I'd have to say that. Every room in the house smells like basil, garlic, wine and tomatoes! Yum!

I'd have to say basil, cilantro, lemon, coffee, bread baking, pasta sauce(tomatoe), pot roast, bacon, turkey. Non kitchen aromas...men's cologne, puppies, rain, bed sheets fresh from the dryer, and the ocean.

Back
Top Bottom