Your favorite song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wanna be

Senior Cook
I am new here and I do'nt mean to brag but I have a one gig IPOD Shuffel And I cant find enough songs that I like enough to fill it even half way.Lynyrd Skynyrd and AC/DC are my favorite bands. And Sweet home Alabama is a song that I never get tired of.I would like to see some of your favorite songs and give me some ideas on what else to put on this thing.

I think it depends on my mood. I grew up with all kinds of music. My dad had a Country Western band when I was a kid. So if I wasn't listening to him singing Hank Williams, Johnny Cash and Hank Snow, I was listening to pop (which pop back in the 60's sounds like country now to me) or some rock. I love Sweet Home Alabama also. Right now in my car I have Queen's Greatest Hits in the CD player. Next it might be Garth Brooks or even Micheal Buble'. I like most, but (C)rap I can't tolerate. And I even love to pop Barry Manilow in the CD player once in a while.

P.S. I was a member of the Osmond Brothers and the Partridge Family Fan Clubs when I was a kid, but if you tell anyone I'll deny it.:ermm:

Too loud!!!!

I have been to very few concerts in my life and my first and most memorable was Donnie and Marie.I have allways been old for my age and I absoulutly hated the volume.These were hardly the monsters of rock and I could'nt hang.I have allways liked classic country from the late 60's through the early 90's.With the 70's being my favorite in both country and rock.Lots of great music back then.Nothing like today,terrible,no talent stuff.

Check out some early Bruce Springsteen. If you like classic country you can find a lot of the old stuff on Amazon for download. You also might enjoy Jonathan Edwards. Remember Sunshine go away today? That's his. His other songs are good too. John Denver is also a good 70's artist. Alabama has some good country hits as well. You can do some searches for 70's music and find all sorts of stuff. I have had good results using Amazon for downloading and buying CD's. Better than Rhapsody.

Check out some early Bruce Springsteen. If you like classic country you can find a lot of the old stuff on Amazon for download. You also might enjoy Jonathan Edwards. Remember Sunshine go away today? That's his. His other songs are good too. John Denver is also a good 70's artist. Alabama has some good country hits as well. You can do some searches for 70's music and find all sorts of stuff. I have had good results using Amazon for downloading and buying CD's. Better than Rhapsody.

Amazon is where I find most of mine. Never used Rhapsody.

I have been to very few concerts in my life and my first and most memorable was Donnie and Marie.I have allways been old for my age and I absoulutly hated the volume.These were hardly the monsters of rock and I could'nt hang.I have allways liked classic country from the late 60's through the early 90's.With the 70's being my favorite in both country and rock.Lots of great music back then.Nothing like today,terrible,no talent stuff.

I'm not a concert goer either. Only been to two, first one was about 1986, saw Reba McIntire open for George Jones. Someone had an extra ticket for that one, but really enjoyed the concert. The second one I went to was Vanessa Williams, a christmas concert. Enjoyed it also. But usually avoid concerts due to the loudness and I find during the live shows the singers sound like crap compared to a controlled studio situation.

Most Concerts are too expensive for me! I've been to some though. John Denver more than once, Eddie Rabbitt more than once, Seals and Croft, Jimmy Buffett, Trans Siberian Orchestra, Oak Ridge Boys. During college I lived in the Cleveland area and they have Blossom Music Center. The lawn seats are cheap so we'd get those and sit out under the stars during the summer. It was great! Also, the Ohio State Fair in Columbus always had headliner entertainment at their grandstand for free. You paid your admission to the fair and got the show at no extra charge. It was great. Any of these artists you might enjoy as well. They all tend to the country side of music so you might find them pleasing.

Most Concerts are too expensive for me! I've been to some though. John Denver more than once, Eddie Rabbitt more than once, Seals and Croft, Jimmy Buffett, Trans Siberian Orchestra, Oak Ridge Boys. During college I lived in the Cleveland area and they have Blossom Music Center. The lawn seats are cheap so we'd get those and sit out under the stars during the summer. It was great! Also, the Ohio State Fair in Columbus always had headliner entertainment at their grandstand for free. You paid your admission to the fair and got the show at no extra charge. It was great. Any of these artists you might enjoy as well. They all tend to the country side of music so you might find them pleasing.

I haven't heard the name Eddie Rabbitt in forever. I sure do miss him. My dad use to play in the taverns the same time he did, but it was before he hit it big with Every Which Way But Loose. Also before he gave up drugs and booze.

I have been to more concerts than I can count. I have seen the band Phish over 100 times alone, not to mention the other bands I have seen live (hundreds of them). I have a very wide ranges of tastes when it comes to music anywhere from rock to punk to classical to show tunes to reggae to jazz to folk to...well you name it and I probably listen to it in some form or another.

If you are into things like Lynyrd Skynyrd and AC/DC then you might want to check out some Allman Brothers stuff. An Evening with the Allman Brothers Band (both first and second sets) is a great place to jump in. The energy in these discs is great.

For quieter stuff have you checked out Alison Krauss and Union Station? She is considered bluegrass (except by some bluegrass aficionados), but regardless of what pigeonhole you put her in, her music is amazing. Check out Alison Krauss + Union Station
Live - 2 CD Set (2002). You will be blown away if you like a beautiful singing voice with amazing song writing and musicianship that is phenomenal. You may also want to check out her CD called Raising Sand. This was a project that she did with Robert Plant (yes the same of Led Zeppelin fame) that was quiet outside of her normal stuff. This CD is absolutely amazing. To hear two such amazing musicians who have such different musical backgrounds come together and play something that is not normal to either of their styles and make it work the way they do is just magical.

My current favorite is Iron and Wine. It is very mellow stuff, but mind blowingly beautiful. It is because of Iron and Wine that I have gotten up the nerve to try to learn how to play guitar again. If you are into deep lyrics then Iron and Wine is for you. Here is a sample of lyrics:

Love Song of the Buzzard

In the failing light of the afternoon
Lucy in the shade of the dogwood blooms
Yesterday the solace of a poison fish
Tomorrow i'll be kissing on her blood red lips

And no one is the saviour they would like to be
The lovesong of the buzzard in the dogwood tree
With a train of horses laughing through the traffic line
And the cradles unimaginative sense of time

Springtime and the promise of an open fist
A tattoo of a flower on a broken wrist
Lucy tells me jokingly to wipe her brow
With a pocket map to heaven and the sun goes down

Similar in feel, but much different in sound is The Tallest Man On Earth. This is some great folksy stuff, very reminiscent of Bob Dylan (another great that should be on everyone's iPod). The songwriting skill of this man is evident the second you hear his stuff.

Medeski Martin & Wood is a jazz trio who will redefine what you know as jazz. They are not your dads jazz trio. They go way out there expanding the boundaries like you would not believe. If you think you did not like jazz before then give these guys a shot and if you already liked jazz then MMW will make you see it in a whole new light. They range from very mellow ambient stuff to in your face rockin hard emotional stuff and everywhere in between. The first album I ever heard by MMW and my favorite is called Shack Man. I have to confess that the first time I head this album I hated it with a passion. I could not understand how anyone could like music like that. At the time I refused to even call it music. I took the CD and put it away and didn't touch it for another 2 or 3 years. Something made me pull it out again and try once more though and thank G-d I did because all of a sudden I "got it" and now if I were going to be stranded on a desert island and had the chance to pick a few CDs to take with me this one would be on the short list every time. It is the perfect summer album for driving down the highway with the sun beating down on you. Musical perfection!

Another great album to check out with MMW is called A Go Go. This is actually a John Scofield album with MMW doing the backup. This album would also be on my short list for the island. This is one that you will be grooving to the second you put it in. I could not recommend is album more. It is simply amazing.

My music list would not be complete without listing Phish and the Grateful Dead. I am listing them her together even though there music is absolutely nothing alike. While they both share similar influences (although they have their own individual influences as well) what they come up with is nothing alike to each other. Both are incredible though if you give them a chance. Don't let pre-conceived notions get in the way of experiencing great new music. I can not count the times people who have never really listened to either band just don't give them a chance because they think you need to be high to like there stuff. Nothing could be further from the truth. The Grateful dead have some amazing lyrics and some of the most hauntingly beautiful tunes ever recorded. Phish's lyrics won't win any poetry contests, but they are fun, but the music will endure because it is some of the most amazing notes to ever hit humans ears. My favorite song in the world is Harry Hood by Phish. The best version ever is from 12/31/93 NYE Worcester Centrum, MA. If I ever had to describe with the words beautiful, bliss, elation, gorgeous, and luscious meant to someone who did not speak English I would put on that version of that song. Without knowing the language they would know what those words meant. If you are unable to find a live copy of that show (very easy to do and I can help you if you want. It is free and legal to download), then you can always buy Phish's album called A Live One. It has a version of Harry Hood on it that is great. Like the MMW album Shack Man, the version of Harry Hood on A Live One took me a number of listening before I "got it", but once I did it hit me over the head like a sledgehammer. Put this song on and turn the volume up as loud as it will go, then turn it up even louder. You will lose a year off your hearing, but it will be worth it.

I could go on and on. I have over a terabyte of music at home with over 400 artists and I add to that list constantly. If you think I am passionate about food, well you have not seen me around music :)

Wow! GB.

I now know where to go with all questions concerning music.I think that's really cool to be able to appreciate all kinds of music.I do like Alison Krauss she has a great voice.I dont have any Allman bros, that was a great suggestion and Ill have to check them out on i tunes.You should really check these i pod shuffels out. They would probably hold your music library ten times over!!Just kidding.One terabyte of memory would be like 1000 shuffels would'nt it?Thats pretty cool.

I think you will really be impressed with The Allman Bros. Everyone knows their popular songs, but those do not do justice to their other less mainstream stuff. No to mention that live they are so much different than in studio. Both are good, but live is much better. That double album I recommended is an amazing collection of songs. The second disc is my favorite of the two, but both are great.

Another artist to check out is Bon Iver (pronounced Bon EE-ver). He is a singer/songwriter who has a very unique sound. He crafts his songs very carefully and with purpose and you can really tell that as you listed. His Album For Emma Forever Age is a masterpiece that I will be listening to until the day I die.

GB...

I won't quote your earlier post, because it take up too much space....

But I share your passion for music. Note my avatar.

Naming a favorite song is impossible.

My tastes are all over the map, but particularly leaning toward jazz, jazz fusion and vocal standards, lot of esoteric guitar stuff as well (think Jeff Back, Joe Satriani).

Not much country in the mix, rap/hip hop isn't on my radar at all, nor contemporary pop, although if I took the time to listen, I might find a few nuggets here and there.

Over the years I have owned a bunch of keyboards/synthesizers, currently have 4 guitars.

OK here are a few...

The Allman Brothers Band - Soulshine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMxHBcqAFro

The Tallest Man On Earth - The Gardener
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYVnRyZWs70

Phish - Harry Hood. This is just the second half of the song. Youtube has a 10 minute limit and Harry Hood is often longer than that so it is broken up into two parts on the site, but I am only posting part 2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyCtz9k8niw

Bon Iver - Stacks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePatJIwB-sI

Iron and Wine - Naked As We Came
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=iron+and+wine&search=Search

Grateful Dead - Peggy-O
http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...&search=Search&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&spell=1

Medeski Martin & Wood - Bubblehouse - This is a long one, but try to listen to the whole thing if you can.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gm94MxHhbM

John Scofield (with Medeski Martin & Wood) - A Go Go
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N9F5SgotoQ

Here is another Medeski Martin & Wood tune. This one is a million % different from the other tune by them I posted above. this is from their kids album. They decided that they wanted to create a kids album that appealed not just to kids, but to adults to. Their idea was that "kids" music was dumbed down for the kids when it didn't need to be. Kids are perfectly capable of enjoying "adult" music. With that in mind they set out to create a kids album that adults would not cringe at every time the kids requested it. I can say without a doubt that they succeeded. My kids LOVE this album and so do I.

This first song is called Lets Go Everywhere and is just a very fun catchy song.
YouTube - Medeski, Martin & Wood - Let's Go Everywhere

And this song is just a great story that my daughter absolutely can not get enough of. This song is called The Squalb. The video is not an official video. It was created by a fan, but the music is straight from the album.
YouTube - The Squalb

This band is called Yonder Mountain String Band. They are considered NewGrass music (bluegrass, but more modern). They have an incredible energy. The quality of this recording is not the best, but it will give you a taste. It takes a little while for the song to start. If you can't wait then skip ahead to 1:30ish. That is where it really starts.

Yonder Mountain String Band - Boatman
YouTube - YMSB Boatman.mov

Back
Top Bottom