"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-29-2009, 10:52 AM   #11
Master Chef

My first album was Bobby Sherman! He was such a hunk! The Monkees first album was right in there too. They got a lot of play time in my room on my little portable record player.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:18 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
My first album was Bobby Sherman! He was such a hunk! The Monkees first album was right in there too. They got a lot of play time in my room on my little portable record player.
Had Bobby Sherman: Easy Come, Easy Go & his Getting Together Albums.
What a dreamboat he was.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:01 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
OK, I think it was Beth who got me to wondering. This really doesn't even apply to the younger generation, who can down-load at will and whim. For us oldies (I'm 54), what was the first album you bought, and what kind of investment did it mean? I think for me it was Don McLean's American Pie sometime around 1971 give or take. I think it cost $3.50 or so at the BX, and at the time I made 50 cents/hour babysitting AND had a savings account.
The first 8-track I've listen to before they went by-by was Bruce spring steen, The first first Music CD was AC/DC Heat Seaker.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:23 PM   #14
Head Chef

Christmas, 1969. I was 10.

My parents bought a record player with flip-down turntable and detachable side speakers. As I recall it was orange in color and the speaker boxes had lights over the top half of them that pulsed and changed with the sound. Too groovy.

Anywayz, they also bought 2 albums for us children to play. One was Jingle Jangle by The Archies. Cool. Fun. Danceable. The other was a Cheech & Chong comedy record. They had clearly not listened to Cheech & Chong before. LOL. The look on their faces when we played it was priceless.

The first 8-Track tapes that I remember purchasing with my own money to play in my own car were: "Endless Summer"-Beach Boys, "Paranoid"-Black Sabbath, "Story"-Frankie Valli & the Four Seasons.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:29 PM   #15
Senior Cook

My first that I paid for was Rubber Soul by the Beatles. Can't remember the price
Old 07-31-2009, 10:52 AM   #16
Sous Chef

If it's a first song, I remember my first song was AC/DC'S Black & back and I've heard it on a radio in a pop up camper for the first time. I think was about 8-10 when I heard it.

the whole family was in 4h showing and selling chickens back then, Also this is the time when Mario brothers came out on the nes, Yes that was a long time ago but it's one of those memories that stuck in my head as a favorite memory of all time.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:07 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

Loved all of Elvis songs and still do. Played his records on the Juke Box in the drug store where we had an old fashioned soda fountian. Shows my age, I was a teenager then in the wonderful 50's
Old 08-09-2009, 01:56 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

my first album is the debut album of the stylistics. i listen to "you are everything" all day