"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-20-2008, 05:38 PM   #11
Senior Cook

I flew in a Long Ranger from Lansing, IL to Atlanta once. Had to stop in KY for fuel. It was a fantastic experience. I am very good friends with the owner of a helicopter company in Lansing. He flies all the Nascar owners & drivers to and from the course.

I have about 10 hours in a Piper Warrior II but that is scattered throughout the past 20 years. I'm in the process of interviewing schools now to get into a flight training program to be a commercial pilot. Right now I'm looking ar Embry Riddle and a few others. WOW is it expensive to go to pilot school!!!

Old 03-20-2008, 06:36 PM   #12
Sous Chef

When I flew to Korea we flew over Alaska and Northern Canada. I was asleep woke up to the site of snow capped mountains. It looked just like a relief map.

When I was in Colorado I got to fly in a Blackhawk. (Perks of being a Company Commander's driver) They told the pilot to "make us hurl." They banked hard a few times went straight up and without warning did a dive that made us weightless. We screamed so loud! (I was with another driver that was female.) We were giggling so hard and yelling "Do it again!!!!!!" Needless to say the pilots were very dissapointed that they didn't make us sick.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:10 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmac View Post
Who enjoys flying? I do!
Hmmmm, there's a saying;
If you think riding in an airplane is flying, then you must think riding in a boat is swimming. Think about it

Yeah, I like flying. In airplanes, out of airplanes using gravity (which is technically "falling" . I don't like riding through turbulance when flying commercial though..... it spills my drink.

I went through the motions of learning how to fly a plane. I started with one place that got put on hiatus because one of their instructors crashed one plane, then a stu crashed another plane (not me, BTW). Started at another place where I used to jump at that taught me a LOT, it's really cool the way the ATC pass you off on the radio when landing at a real airport, but the airplane sucked. Way too little power compared to what I was used to and I was putting in a lot of hours trying to get used to it. BTW, all my solos and cross countries were done by this time. I even took the FAA written and passed it and the err, physical . Just neeed to do the check ride to pass the pratical part, but I hated that underpowered plane. Oh well. Next thing you know I needed sinus surgery and I could not go up in planes for quite a while. Either to fly or jump out of.

I jumped out of a helicopter once. That was a very differnt experience because he was hovering. You don't have any airspeed and it's harder to control yourself at first. I jumped from 23,000 ft before too, but that's a whole nuther story.....
Old 03-21-2008, 12:14 AM   #14
Master Chef

Love flying.... hate the sudden stop at the end!

Seriously,
I did a lot of commercial flying for a previous company I worked for, other than the takeoffs... boringggggg!!!!! Granted the first time around it was cool looking out the window and all, but that was about it. I did love how they gunned it on take off and it would push you back in your seat. Then if you were sitting near the front you could feel the front lift off just before the back wheels lifted and you got that sudden sinking feeling in your stomach as the plane rose up in the air.

I would love the chance to fly in a helicopter or a small single or twin engine aircraft. For some reason I always liked Cesnas, Beachcraft, and Pipers even though I have never ridden in any of them. I guess I just liked the designs.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:20 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I jumped from 23,000 ft before too, but that's a whole nuther story.....
As in HALO jumping? I had a friend that did that too.

I have less than 100 hours on my log and frankly, that's all my nerves could take! The stall at 3,000 feet rattled my cage. I'll be forever grateful for the phrase "relax your back"

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:19 AM   #16
Master Chef

Ok, I guess I'm going to be the sourpuss here. I've grown from really liking flying 13 years ago to detesting it in this day and age of cutbacks and poor service as a result. I don't think that it's the steward and stewardesses fault it's just that many airlines have cut down on service personnel. In response to "Your flight experience"----I'd have to admit that it's really gone downhill in the last 5 years. More stress and hassle to get thru airports ( add 24 hours of travelling internationally to get from point A to point B) . I've come to loathe travelling by air--if I only had to travel once a year my attitude might be different- Sorry to be so negative.........
Old 03-21-2008, 07:59 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

I'm a private pilot (not current anymore), flew 152s and 172s. Just got too expensive to keep flying for fun.

I'm a controller now though, so I get to watch airplanes all day.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:16 AM   #18
Senior Cook

I understand what you mean, Expat. Flying is definitely not what it used to be. It used to be "romantic" and adventurous and exciting. Now it's just a chore for most people, and it's a shame. Flying *IS* amazing, and it's sad that it has such a negative image in modern times. I was fortunate in being in a position where I could enjoy flying for what it really is. Even so, I do enjoy flying on airliners - always get a window seat!
Old 03-21-2008, 10:15 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
As in HALO jumping? I had a friend that did that too.

I have less than 100 hours on my log and frankly, that's all my nerves could take! The stall at 3,000 feet rattled my cage. I'll be forever grateful for the phrase "relax your back"
High altitude/low opening.... no. No military jumping experience.
The drop zone I used to "work" at on weekends had a King Air come in a few weekends a year. It was outfitted with oxygen and would offer one high altitude jump/day.

On flying planes; I remember looking at my altimeter and seeing it read a little lower than what I thought I was flying at..... This happened on my long cross country, from up here by Erie to Johnstown, PA. The revs were low, too. And of course I was over what mountains PA has down there.... You guessed it, carburetor icing. I'll never forget the shudder the plane made as I cleared the ice
Of course I'll never forget zoning out at 23,000' either, but that was more funny than anything.