"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-29-2008, 11:47 AM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
I'm the store manager of the Ace hardware store in my town.

What about you, Angie?

Lee

I'm a Barber by trade but don't practice other than family. I work in Co-op....basically one of our clients is a high end luxury car company. They have a program where if their dealerships follow the advertising guidelines, corporate will pay for 50% of the ads. So, dealers or ad agencies (from all over the states) send in their ads to us. I look at them and let them know if they are following the guidelines or if changes have to be made...all the way down from the prices to the words ("hot deals" is NOT acceptable to this company).

Once the ads have ran, the dealers or ad agencies send us in their claims for the ads. Our telecommuters then process the claim portions. They pay for the ads if they are within the guidelines!

Old 06-29-2008, 12:55 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

I used to be a sheetmetal worker, mostly commercial HVAC and industrial fabrication. I retired from that trade seven years ago, moved to the country and opened up a boarding facility for housepets.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:08 PM   #23
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
Sounds like a fun job with lots of room to play. What is a typical day for you? How many people do you feed etc?
Well, it does not have all the notoriety of being in a freestanding restaurant, but the quality of life is great!

There is more then enough room to play, the sky is the limit. I handle all of the employee dining, in house catering, and partner functions. Money seems to be of no issue, so they like when we do it up. Also, I get to bump shoulders with a lot of the movers and shakers in D.C. and cook for some really interesting people.

A typical day is from 6:30am-3/3:30pm, 5 days a week, paid holidays off, and an honest to god weekend! We do have few night time functions but they are normally done by 7ish, so no biggie.

We, on average, feed about 600 people a day in the dining room, and do in house catering for anywhere from 50-600 depending on the day. We stay busy though, no doubt about it. For the cafe, we have a different menu for every day, written on a weekly basis, and selections really run the gambit. I have a grill station, a saute station, a panini station, a daily fare station, a 64 item salad bar, a salad fusion station, my Chefs creations station, and a whole host of novelties/sundries that we stock...and then there is the catering, a whole 'nother world.

So, even though the schedule is awesome for a Chef, it is a very full time job and very demanding. It allows me all the creative freedom I want, it is a daily challenge, and I get a quality of life that I have never had with 15years in the bizz.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:23 PM   #24
Master Chef

jobs i take er either catering or kitchen work. i don't often work, though.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:44 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

before i retired, i managed a large hallmark gift store. too many hours, did the buying, the hiring, the firing and the training.

kept books and handled all the money.

i liked it but around any holiday , it got crazy. days and days without a day off, and twelve to fourteen hour days.

i retired and then was primary caregiver for granddaughter from birth to about eight years old.

i love, love, love retirement. took a while to not feel guilty doing whatever i like. lol but i got used to it.lol

babe
Old 06-29-2008, 02:08 PM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I used to be a sheetmetal worker, mostly commercial HVAC and industrial fabrication. I retired from that trade seven years ago, moved to the country and opened up a boarding facility for housepets.

I would love that!!
Old 06-29-2008, 02:27 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Bakery Clerk. No I don't do the baking. I have the fun job of waiting on customers, slicing bread, setting up displays etc...
Old 06-29-2008, 02:32 PM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by middie View Post
Bakery Clerk. No I don't do the baking. I have the fun job of waiting on customers, slicing bread, setting up displays etc...
Hey, you are the one that will keep customers coming back! I don't care how much I like something, if I get bad service, I'm not going back.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:52 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Two jobs really. One was my part of our business here in town, which was interior design specializing in window treatments. Buck repaired/restored antiques of all types and built custom furniture. I'm nowhere near as skilled in doing that as he was, so will have to focus on my part more.

Also am a self-syndicated newspaper columnist, which is interesting and keeps my mind working.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:31 PM   #30
Senior Cook

I give away money
I work in the Scholarships Office at a University, working with sponsors to set up awards, choose the recipients, and get the money to them. It's a lot of fun, and you meet some amazing students!