"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-01-2010, 02:25 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Bean
I love it, though you have to have another space! How in the world do you keep your chocolate ice cream cold?
Yes there is another general cooking space ~~~ The Chocolate Ice Cream is kept cold in a small refrigerator/freezer powered by Solar panels on top of the Chuck Wagon......

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:22 PM   #22
Master Chef

i'm thankful for the spaciousness. the counters could be bigger, though!

Old 03-01-2010, 05:58 PM   #23
Master Chef

ladycook, I had to laugh. I'm 5'9" and have often thought that if I had the money, I'd raise my counters by easily 6", maybe more. I'm always hunched over my cutting board or other prep areas, no matter where I've lived. If it is an all-day cooking marathon, I take lots of ibuprofen for back problems. I know most kitchens are designed for the average women's height in, what, 1954? As a tall woman, it is tiring to bend over these counters when it is more than a short prep meal. this place is the first that I've had room for a kitchen table, and I still cant remember (and it's been 10 years) that I actually can sit down and do some of the prep work and save my sorry back from having to bend over. Ah, well, we all have our crosses to bear!
Old 03-01-2010, 08:25 PM   #24
Assistant Cook

My Kitchenaid .
Old 03-01-2010, 10:26 PM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
ladycook, I had to laugh. I'm 5'9" and have often thought that if I had the money, I'd raise my counters by easily 6", maybe more. I'm always hunched over my cutting board or other prep areas, no matter where I've lived. If it is an all-day cooking marathon, I take lots of ibuprofen for back problems. I know most kitchens are designed for the average women's height in, what, 1954? As a tall woman, it is tiring to bend over these counters when it is more than a short prep meal. this place is the first that I've had room for a kitchen table, and I still cant remember (and it's been 10 years) that I actually can sit down and do some of the prep work and save my sorry back from having to bend over. Ah, well, we all have our crosses to bear!
I've had to take ibuprofen too after a few hours of cooking.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:14 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

i love that my kitchen is compact. i hate that my kitchen is compact. not enough counter space. toaster, coffee pot and small juicer take up some room. the cupboards are way to high for me, the second shelf impossible for me to reach. there is a pantry in the kitchen that is handy. same thing though, can't reach the second shelf . there are some drawers in the bottom. i have mostly measuring things in there, cups , spoons etc.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:09 AM   #27
Senior Cook

I love clean kitchen and full of grocery for me to cook what i want to cook ..Love see oven . Love to cook cakes .
Old 03-02-2010, 09:22 AM   #28
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
. the cupboards are way to high for me, the second shelf impossible for me to reach. there is a pantry in the kitchen that is handy. same thing though, can't reach the second shelf . there are some drawers in the bottom. i have mostly measuring things in there, cups , spoons etc.
There's no winning that one. I'm too tall to reach things in the back of the base cabinets. I practically have to lay on the floor to get in. My first wife was only 5' tall, and could barely reach the first shelf of the hanging cabinets....so we kept a step stool handy.

When we remodel, I'm adamant about moving the cabinets up at least six or eight inches. Right now, neither the stand mixers or the big food processor will fit under them, my view of the counter is partially obstructed by the cabinets and they keep the counters darker than I like by blocking the light. I plan to raise them and put strip lights on the underside. To fix the base cabinet issues, I'm going to put everything on drawer glides.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:33 PM   #29
Head Chef

Hands down the thing I love the most about my kitchen is the circa 1920s/30s gas range-- warming racks, separate broiler, great heat control (once you're used to it!). I'd like more counter space, but it's adequate--makes me think long and hard about anything new that has to live there. I guess what I'd like the most is more room for the kitchen table and more shelves/cabinets.