Your Kitchen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vanilla Bean said:
I love it, though you have to have another space! How in the world do you keep your chocolate ice cream cold? :LOL:

Yes there is another general cooking space ~~~ The Chocolate Ice Cream is kept cold in a small refrigerator/freezer powered by Solar panels on top of the Chuck Wagon......:ermm:

ladycook, I had to laugh. I'm 5'9" and have often thought that if I had the money, I'd raise my counters by easily 6", maybe more. I'm always hunched over my cutting board or other prep areas, no matter where I've lived. If it is an all-day cooking marathon, I take lots of ibuprofen for back problems. I know most kitchens are designed for the average women's height in, what, 1954? As a tall woman, it is tiring to bend over these counters when it is more than a short prep meal. this place is the first that I've had room for a kitchen table, and I still cant remember (and it's been 10 years) that I actually can sit down and do some of the prep work and save my sorry back from having to bend over. Ah, well, we all have our crosses to bear!

ladycook, I had to laugh. I'm 5'9" and have often thought that if I had the money, I'd raise my counters by easily 6", maybe more. I'm always hunched over my cutting board or other prep areas, no matter where I've lived. If it is an all-day cooking marathon, I take lots of ibuprofen for back problems. I know most kitchens are designed for the average women's height in, what, 1954? As a tall woman, it is tiring to bend over these counters when it is more than a short prep meal. this place is the first that I've had room for a kitchen table, and I still cant remember (and it's been 10 years) that I actually can sit down and do some of the prep work and save my sorry back from having to bend over. Ah, well, we all have our crosses to bear!

I've had to take ibuprofen too after a few hours of cooking.

i love that my kitchen is compact. i hate that my kitchen is compact. not enough counter space. toaster, coffee pot and small juicer take up some room. the cupboards are way to high for me, the second shelf impossible for me to reach. there is a pantry in the kitchen that is handy. same thing though, can't reach the second shelf . there are some drawers in the bottom. i have mostly measuring things in there, cups , spoons etc.

. the cupboards are way to high for me, the second shelf impossible for me to reach. there is a pantry in the kitchen that is handy. same thing though, can't reach the second shelf . there are some drawers in the bottom. i have mostly measuring things in there, cups , spoons etc.

There's no winning that one. I'm too tall to reach things in the back of the base cabinets. I practically have to lay on the floor to get in. My first wife was only 5' tall, and could barely reach the first shelf of the hanging cabinets....so we kept a step stool handy.

When we remodel, I'm adamant about moving the cabinets up at least six or eight inches. Right now, neither the stand mixers or the big food processor will fit under them, my view of the counter is partially obstructed by the cabinets and they keep the counters darker than I like by blocking the light. I plan to raise them and put strip lights on the underside. To fix the base cabinet issues, I'm going to put everything on drawer glides.

Hands down the thing I love the most about my kitchen is the circa 1920s/30s gas range-- warming racks, separate broiler, great heat control (once you're used to it!). I'd like more counter space, but it's adequate--makes me think long and hard about anything new that has to live there. I guess what I'd like the most is more room for the kitchen table and more shelves/cabinets.

Back
Top Bottom