"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-27-2010, 06:02 PM   #1
Master Chef

Your Kitchen

Don't know where to put this. Staff; feel free to move it:

What is your favorite thing about your kitchen, and what is your least favorite? We've often done lines about what we would love in an ideal kitchen, but tell us what you have that you absolutely love, and what you hate!

Old 02-27-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
Master Chef

I love having an island in my kitchen. The thing I hate the most would be my refrigerator. It's too small and I got the biggest one that would fit in the space allowed for it. Also it's a side by side, I'll never buy another one as long as I live.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:22 PM   #3
Senior Cook

My kitchen is physically huge. I have tons of counter space, plenty of cabinets and never feel crowded. This is particularly important because I'm addicted to kitchen electrics.

The worst thing is that it's old. The cabinets and counter are a little over thirty years old, and most of the appliances are at least a decade old. The seventies era vinyl floor is starting to disintegrate and the plastic covers over the soffit lights are yellowing.

Thankfully, remodeling is in the five year plan for the house.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:27 PM   #4
Everymom

I LOVE my kitchen, I love my beautiful cabinets, my counters and the layout. Its really made the most of my awkward shaped kitchen. What I would change it not my kitchen, but rather, my dining area. My kitchen/dining area is one long skinny area. I'd love to blow out a wall and extend the kitchen along one side so my dining area isn't so cramped. C'est la vie.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:36 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

We re-did our kitchen about a year ago. I love the granite counters but...I'd love more of them. It makes me crazy to have to pick up this and that to get into lower cabnits, push things around to use the electric beaters..And I detest the refrigerator..We got rid of a side by side I loved for one with the freezer on top, I can't tell you how many times I've bonked my head of the freezer door trying to get something from the refrigerator itself.. Other than that refrigerator I love my kitchen, just wish there was more of it
kadesma
Old 02-27-2010, 06:50 PM   #6
Master Chef

I like my kitchen tho I wish it could be larger. What I dislike is the counters are a little high for a short person (me) Also could use more storage and counter space, bigger oven.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:00 PM   #7
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Well,I love 2 things.. the pantry and the color scheme. I repained the kitchen and cabinets and put up molding as a design test before we spent the $$$ on a remodel. I hate the layout , only on person can be in there at any one time.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:31 AM   #8
Master Chef

I love that I have every single appliance that you could ask for. I hate the size of my kitchen! I live in an apartment, and I can't do a thing about it at the moment.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:57 AM   #9
Master Chef

I live in an 1854 house, the kitchen itself probably dates from 1900 or so. The cabinetry is weird. I know that the cabinets/counters were probably put in in 1970 or so, but are actually easily 1950 vintage (according to someone who came in to repair them) or older, so whoever owned the house must have salvaged them from another old house. What I love the most is that if there is sun out there at all, it is sunny and has, in spite of needing beaucoups of work, has a homey, country feel. There are a lot of negatives, though, and one is that it is at the opposite end of the house from the water heater, and in the summer I actually have to let a gallon of water go away before I can get hot water. I've never had the nerve to measure it when it is-30 outside. In the summer I don't let the water go down the drain, I gather it and pour it into the (two steps away) garden. In the winter, though, I only need a couple quarts of water every day or two (for watering plants, that is), so it does go down the drain. But what is truly aggravating is that unless I want to wait for the water to warm up, 90% of the time I have to wash my hands in frigid water in the winter!
Old 02-28-2010, 11:49 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Apartment kitchen

I like my galley-style kitchen but could use more counters, more drawers, and more cabinets.
I love my brand-new Kenmore bottom freezer refrigerator.