"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-04-2008, 04:58 PM   #21
Chief Eating Officer

Thank

Old 11-04-2008, 05:14 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
OHHHHH I love how you think!!!!! I can see that is gonna go over real well... might win me the most loved neighbor award! I love the idea.... I guess I could do it one day while they are at work. It would be so obvious tho!!!

Devious!!!!
Oh yeah, I forgot that part. You definitely want to make sure it's when the neighbor is at work. Better yet, have your son do it when the neighbor is at work. Then, if anyone says anything, just shake your head and say "Kids".

Old 11-04-2008, 05:17 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm not sure if it's the law around me, but over here it's pretty much understood that you can only cut branches that overhang your property if they are interfering with something. Like if you had to duck under them to mow, or if they were brushing against your house. It's a courtesy thing that you don't draw an imaginary line up from your property line and whack the braches off your neighbor's tree. Even if you want to (lol)

To the post: I only rake where I have to, like around buildings or inside fencing in the dogs' yards. I distribute them just far enough west of my buildings to have them carry on their merry way.... hopefully into NY (lol). I mow the rest. If I had an area like Suzi's I would mow the leaves and turn them into mulch. I'm not in an area where people rake or they have leaf pickup day. Not that I remember anyway. There might be someone who rakes and bags them in those clear bags for P/U. I know if we want we can trailer them (and branches) to the township building where they will turn them into mulch. There's always someone driving down the road with a load of yardwork on a trailer.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:46 PM   #24
Sous Chef

8 or 9 bags!!!! I'll tell you what I would do. I would rake them into a big pile, go all the way across the street, take a good run at em' and dive into the pile!!

I don't ever want to grow up!!
Old 11-04-2008, 05:48 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke king View Post
8 or 9 bags!!!! I'll tell you what I would do. I would rake them into a big pile, go all the way across the street, take a good run at em' and dive into the pile!!

Hey Sattie - I think you can just take 'em over and dump them in Smoke King's yard.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:15 PM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot that part. You definitely want to make sure it's when the neighbor is at work. Better yet, have your son do it when the neighbor is at work. Then, if anyone says anything, just shake your head and say "Kids".
If only I had a son!!! Maybe I could pay someone else's son???? Any takers???

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I'm not sure if it's the law around me, but over here it's pretty much understood that you can only cut branches that overhang your property if they are interfering with something.

To the post: I only rake where I have to.
As for the overhanging branches... the tree is too pretty to mutiliate it like that. And even if I did cut the branches off, I would still end up with the leaves.

I have to rake, the leaves get two to three inches deep, and since I just had a new lawn laid down this past spring... it is to young to deal with the mulch/clippings...... or am I mistaken????

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke king View Post

I have thought about that actually!!!! I remember doing that as a kid! DING DING DING.... something for the "I remember" thread!

Quote:
Hey Sattie - I think you can just take 'em over and dump them in Smoke King's yard.
Girl... you are full of great ideas!!!!!!!
Old 11-04-2008, 07:05 PM   #27
Sous Chef

Quote:

YaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaY!

Old 11-04-2008, 07:44 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
As for the overhanging branches... the tree is too pretty to mutiliate it like that. And even if I did cut the branches off, I would still end up with the leaves.
Good for you! It almost sounded like some people were advocating mutilating trees to remove some branches.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:34 PM   #29
Executive Chef

All the homes on my street are fairly close, yet we all have a few trees on our lots....some more than others.

I get your frustration and even get that this is mostly tongue in cheek.. which is why my initial thought was to pick them up and return them to your neighbour.

But, upon further consideration, I realize this is the type of thing that keeps neighbours from talking after a few years. I see it this way: The trees, in general, make the entire street look nice and we all benefit from the shade they provide in the summer, the birds they attract in the spring and the rainbow of colours this time of year. I would never suggest that you cut any portion of the tree, regardless of where it hangs. That kind of trauma could damage the tree permanently with no promise of the remaining leaves not blowing into your yard; not to mention how horrible the resulting branch mutilation would make the rest of the tree look.

8-9 bags is alot. Hopefully, writing about it here, and discovering that other people feel your pain will make the clean up easire for you. If you can bear it, bake a batch of leaf shaped cookies and bring them over to your neighbour. Tell him that he so thoughtfully gives you so many each year that you wanted to return the gesture. If nothing else, you'll get the last laugh.

I love to rake leaves, by the way...need any help? The fragrance is maddeningly wonderful, coupled with the thought of irish coffee upon completion of the task.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:35 PM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Good for you! It almost sounded like some people were advocating mutilating trees to remove some branches.
I appreciate nature to much to do something that selfish over leaves. Plus I don't even think it would help to cut the branches in this case.