"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-04-2008, 10:43 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post

I love to rake leaves, by the way...need any help? The fragrance is maddeningly wonderful, coupled with the thought of irish coffee upon completion of the task.

Yeah, Vera! The smell of the leaves always makes me want to take a great leap into a huge raked pile. Even at my age, I would do it in a heartbeat.

As for raking leaves, our house has been around since 1880 and is surrounded by 100-year-old oak trees. The leaves they produce is beyond belief. I can't imagine the original homeowners raking leaves. Of course, the trees were smaller then. The Pilgrims probably didn't either.

Having said that, the soil anywhere near the house is as black as coal and will grow nearly anything. Can you say "mulch?"

Yes, the leaves blow around but our neighbors do what they do and we do what we do and no one seems to have an issue with each other's methods.

Ah...the wonderful aroma of fall!!

Old 11-04-2008, 11:03 PM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
All the homes on my street are fairly close, yet we all have a few trees on our lots....some more than others.

I get your frustration and even get that this is mostly tongue in cheek.. which is why my initial thought was to pick them up and return them to your neighbour.

But, upon further consideration, I realize this is the type of thing that keeps neighbours from talking after a few years. I see it this way: The trees, in general, make the entire street look nice and we all benefit from the shade they provide in the summer, the birds they attract in the spring and the rainbow of colours this time of year. I would never suggest that you cut any portion of the tree, regardless of where it hangs. That kind of trauma could damage the tree permanently with no promise of the remaining leaves not blowing into your yard; not to mention how horrible the resulting branch mutilation would make the rest of the tree look.

8-9 bags is alot. Hopefully, writing about it here, and discovering that other people feel your pain will make the clean up easire for you. If you can bear it, bake a batch of leaf shaped cookies and bring them over to your neighbour. Tell him that he so thoughtfully gives you so many each year that you wanted to return the gesture. If nothing else, you'll get the last laugh.

I love to rake leaves, by the way...need any help? The fragrance is maddeningly wonderful, coupled with the thought of irish coffee upon completion of the task.
VB.. you are right... I could have posted this in the "Venting" thread easily enough. 8 bags is alot... it is amazing how 1 seemingly small tree can make such a mess. I'm thinking... specially after reading the posts in this thread: Can I just pile those leaves in my landscaping beds on top of the cedar mulch? As long as it will not damage the plants... I think it would be a good idea to use it as mulch. Suppose I have to chop it up a bit.

I love the idea of cooking the leaf-shaped cookies. No, I don't want to cause grief with my neighbors. (Although it would be nice if they were to offer to help!!!) I look out for my neighbors... no matter how upset I get with them.

And I agree that the trees help make the neighborhood... that is why I stated that I would never do that to a tree unless it poses some sort of threat. (I will say that I have cut back that awful grapevine my neighbor behind me planted.... that crap takes over everything!!!!

Old 11-04-2008, 11:17 PM   #33
Senior Cook

Our street has atleast two trees per lot and it is impossible to decern who's leaves come from who. Do other people have trees on your block? Is it possible some of the leaves come from other trees nearby?
Old 11-04-2008, 11:18 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Made your head hurt? Imagine if you had to read the original law book!
Some of us were meant to be lawyers and some of us were meant to sell wine TO the lawyers

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:58 PM   #35
Sous Chef

Just palm trees here, and they do the pick up when they trim them. Having raked for 45 years in the midwest, I don't miss 'em at all.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:46 AM   #36
Head Chef

In our other house we lived in was close to neighbors, they were always racking their leaves. One fall off the tree they were out there. I never racked them till they were all down. They use to drop lil hints. Wow your leaves are falling, or your going to have a big while when you rack. The thing is i ended up never racking them, once all have fallen I would mow over them instead. They were not happy when they saw me. More lil hints came out. Like your not going to leave them there and i would say the snow will be covering them up soon. I also told them if you don't like my leaves you rack them up - they never did- But come spring when they are fertlizing their lawn I had a very green lawn, and when planting my flowers, my flowers were always the healthiest on the street. No chemicals at all. They also suck up all the grass in the summer when cutting their lawn, the lawn losings its nutrients.
So my turn --I dropped lil hint Like the leaves sure make a nice fertilizer. They never again bothered me. I did however sweep my sidewalk so when rain no ne would slip on them. When spring came the mowed leaves disappeared back into the lawn.

We moved many years ago and I don't have as many trees.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:37 AM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook View Post
In our other house we lived in was close to neighbors, they were always racking their leaves. One fall off the tree they were out there. I never racked them till they were all down. They use to drop lil hints. Wow your leaves are falling, or your going to have a big while when you rack. The thing is i ended up never racking them, once all have fallen I would mow over them instead. They were not happy when they saw me. More lil hints came out. Like your not going to leave them there and i would say the snow will be covering them up soon. I also told them if you don't like my leaves you rack them up - they never did- But come spring when they are fertlizing their lawn I had a very green lawn, and when planting my flowers, my flowers were always the healthiest on the street. No chemicals at all. They also suck up all the grass in the summer when cutting their lawn, the lawn losings its nutrients.
So my turn --I dropped lil hint Like the leaves sure make a nice fertilizer. They never again bothered me. I did however sweep my sidewalk so when rain no ne would slip on them. When spring came the mowed leaves disappeared back into the lawn.

We moved many years ago and I don't have as many trees.
Yea, I'm wondering if I can mulch some of the leaves and leave on my lawn. (However, the people that laid my sod informed me that it was to young to handle clippings/mulch.) Anyone have any insight on this?

Thanks letscook! And DTB.... plams would be great! Easy clean up!
Old 11-05-2008, 09:44 AM   #38
Executive Chef

I wish I had those 9 bags of leaves I would mow them and start the lasagna garden I want to have. We have mostly pine and pinon trees.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:50 AM   #39
Master Chef

Those pinon trees... do they smell anything like the oils I find here? I love that scent!
Old 11-05-2008, 09:59 AM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
Those pinon trees... do they smell anything like the oils I find here? I love that scent!
The trees themselves don't really have a smell but the sap on them has a strong pine scent. The cones also make great fire starters. Pinon wood burns very hot and doesn't pop like some other woods.