Your Leaves.. You pick em up!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OHHHHH I love how you think!!!!! I can see that is gonna go over real well... might win me the most loved neighbor award! I love the idea.... I guess I could do it one day while they are at work. It would be so obvious tho!!!

Devious!!!!:LOL:
Oh yeah, I forgot that part. You definitely want to make sure it's when the neighbor is at work. Better yet, have your son do it when the neighbor is at work. Then, if anyone says anything, just shake your head and say "Kids".:)

I'm not sure if it's the law around me, but over here it's pretty much understood that you can only cut branches that overhang your property if they are interfering with something. Like if you had to duck under them to mow, or if they were brushing against your house. It's a courtesy thing that you don't draw an imaginary line up from your property line and whack the braches off your neighbor's tree. Even if you want to (lol)

To the post: I only rake where I have to, like around buildings or inside fencing in the dogs' yards. I distribute them just far enough west of my buildings to have them carry on their merry way.... hopefully into NY (lol). I mow the rest. If I had an area like Suzi's I would mow the leaves and turn them into mulch. I'm not in an area where people rake or they have leaf pickup day. Not that I remember anyway. There might be someone who rakes and bags them in those clear bags for P/U. I know if we want we can trailer them (and branches) to the township building where they will turn them into mulch. There's always someone driving down the road with a load of yardwork on a trailer.

8 or 9 bags!!!! I'll tell you what I would do. I would rake them into a big pile, go all the way across the street, take a good run at em' and dive into the pile!! :LOL::LOL:

I don't ever want to grow up!!

Oh yeah, I forgot that part. You definitely want to make sure it's when the neighbor is at work. Better yet, have your son do it when the neighbor is at work. Then, if anyone says anything, just shake your head and say "Kids".:)

If only I had a son!!! Maybe I could pay someone else's son???? Any takers???

I'm not sure if it's the law around me, but over here it's pretty much understood that you can only cut branches that overhang your property if they are interfering with something.

To the post: I only rake where I have to.

As for the overhanging branches... the tree is too pretty to mutiliate it like that. And even if I did cut the branches off, I would still end up with the leaves.

I have to rake, the leaves get two to three inches deep, and since I just had a new lawn laid down this past spring... it is to young to deal with the mulch/clippings...... or am I mistaken????

8 or 9 bags!!!! I'll tell you what I would do. I would rake them into a big pile, go all the way across the street, take a good run at em' and dive into the pile!! :LOL::LOL:

I don't ever want to grow up!!

I have thought about that actually!!!! I remember doing that as a kid! DING DING DING.... something for the "I remember" thread!

Hey Sattie - I think you can just take 'em over and dump them in Smoke King's yard.:LOL:

Girl... you are full of great ideas!!!!!!!

As for the overhanging branches... the tree is too pretty to mutiliate it like that. And even if I did cut the branches off, I would still end up with the leaves.

Good for you! It almost sounded like some people were advocating mutilating trees to remove some branches. :huh:

All the homes on my street are fairly close, yet we all have a few trees on our lots....some more than others.

I get your frustration and even get that this is mostly tongue in cheek.. which is why my initial thought was to pick them up and return them to your neighbour.

But, upon further consideration, I realize this is the type of thing that keeps neighbours from talking after a few years. I see it this way: The trees, in general, make the entire street look nice and we all benefit from the shade they provide in the summer, the birds they attract in the spring and the rainbow of colours this time of year. I would never suggest that you cut any portion of the tree, regardless of where it hangs. That kind of trauma could damage the tree permanently with no promise of the remaining leaves not blowing into your yard; not to mention how horrible the resulting branch mutilation would make the rest of the tree look.

8-9 bags is alot. Hopefully, writing about it here, and discovering that other people feel your pain will make the clean up easire for you. If you can bear it, bake a batch of leaf shaped cookies and bring them over to your neighbour. Tell him that he so thoughtfully gives you so many each year that you wanted to return the gesture. If nothing else, you'll get the last laugh.

I love to rake leaves, by the way...need any help? The fragrance is maddeningly wonderful, coupled with the thought of irish coffee upon completion of the task.

Good for you! It almost sounded like some people were advocating mutilating trees to remove some branches. :huh:
I appreciate nature to much to do something that selfish over leaves. Plus I don't even think it would help to cut the branches in this case.

I love to rake leaves, by the way...need any help? The fragrance is maddeningly wonderful, coupled with the thought of irish coffee upon completion of the task.

Yeah, Vera! The smell of the leaves always makes me want to take a great leap into a huge raked pile. Even at my age, I would do it in a heartbeat.

As for raking leaves, our house has been around since 1880 and is surrounded by 100-year-old oak trees. The leaves they produce is beyond belief. I can't imagine the original homeowners raking leaves. Of course, the trees were smaller then. The Pilgrims probably didn't either.

Having said that, the soil anywhere near the house is as black as coal and will grow nearly anything. Can you say "mulch?"

Yes, the leaves blow around but our neighbors do what they do and we do what we do and no one seems to have an issue with each other's methods.

Ah...the wonderful aroma of fall!!

All the homes on my street are fairly close, yet we all have a few trees on our lots....some more than others.

I get your frustration and even get that this is mostly tongue in cheek.. which is why my initial thought was to pick them up and return them to your neighbour.

But, upon further consideration, I realize this is the type of thing that keeps neighbours from talking after a few years. I see it this way: The trees, in general, make the entire street look nice and we all benefit from the shade they provide in the summer, the birds they attract in the spring and the rainbow of colours this time of year. I would never suggest that you cut any portion of the tree, regardless of where it hangs. That kind of trauma could damage the tree permanently with no promise of the remaining leaves not blowing into your yard; not to mention how horrible the resulting branch mutilation would make the rest of the tree look.

8-9 bags is alot. Hopefully, writing about it here, and discovering that other people feel your pain will make the clean up easire for you. If you can bear it, bake a batch of leaf shaped cookies and bring them over to your neighbour. Tell him that he so thoughtfully gives you so many each year that you wanted to return the gesture. If nothing else, you'll get the last laugh.

VB.. you are right... I could have posted this in the "Venting" thread easily enough. 8 bags is alot... it is amazing how 1 seemingly small tree can make such a mess. I'm thinking... specially after reading the posts in this thread: Can I just pile those leaves in my landscaping beds on top of the cedar mulch? As long as it will not damage the plants... I think it would be a good idea to use it as mulch. Suppose I have to chop it up a bit.

I love the idea of cooking the leaf-shaped cookies. No, I don't want to cause grief with my neighbors. (Although it would be nice if they were to offer to help!!!) I look out for my neighbors... no matter how upset I get with them.

And I agree that the trees help make the neighborhood... that is why I stated that I would never do that to a tree unless it poses some sort of threat. (I will say that I have cut back that awful grapevine my neighbor behind me planted.... that crap takes over everything!!!!

Our street has atleast two trees per lot and it is impossible to decern who's leaves come from who. Do other people have trees on your block? Is it possible some of the leaves come from other trees nearby?

In our other house we lived in was close to neighbors, they were always racking their leaves. One fall off the tree they were out there. I never racked them till they were all down. They use to drop lil hints. Wow your leaves are falling, or your going to have a big while when you rack. The thing is i ended up never racking them, once all have fallen I would mow over them instead. They were not happy when they saw me. More lil hints came out. Like your not going to leave them there and i would say the snow will be covering them up soon. I also told them if you don't like my leaves you rack them up - they never did- But come spring when they are fertlizing their lawn I had a very green lawn, and when planting my flowers, my flowers were always the healthiest on the street. No chemicals at all. They also suck up all the grass in the summer when cutting their lawn, the lawn losings its nutrients.
So my turn --I dropped lil hint Like the leaves sure make a nice fertilizer. They never again bothered me. I did however sweep my sidewalk so when rain no ne would slip on them. When spring came the mowed leaves disappeared back into the lawn.

We moved many years ago and I don't have as many trees.

In our other house we lived in was close to neighbors, they were always racking their leaves. One fall off the tree they were out there. I never racked them till they were all down. They use to drop lil hints. Wow your leaves are falling, or your going to have a big while when you rack. The thing is i ended up never racking them, once all have fallen I would mow over them instead. They were not happy when they saw me. More lil hints came out. Like your not going to leave them there and i would say the snow will be covering them up soon. I also told them if you don't like my leaves you rack them up - they never did- But come spring when they are fertlizing their lawn I had a very green lawn, and when planting my flowers, my flowers were always the healthiest on the street. No chemicals at all. They also suck up all the grass in the summer when cutting their lawn, the lawn losings its nutrients.
So my turn --I dropped lil hint Like the leaves sure make a nice fertilizer. They never again bothered me. I did however sweep my sidewalk so when rain no ne would slip on them. When spring came the mowed leaves disappeared back into the lawn.

We moved many years ago and I don't have as many trees.

Yea, I'm wondering if I can mulch some of the leaves and leave on my lawn. (However, the people that laid my sod informed me that it was to young to handle clippings/mulch.) Anyone have any insight on this?

Thanks letscook! And DTB.... plams would be great! Easy clean up!

:LOL: I wish I had those 9 bags of leaves I would mow them and start the lasagna garden I want to have. We have mostly pine and pinon trees.

Those pinon trees... do they smell anything like the oils I find here? I love that scent!

Those pinon trees... do they smell anything like the oils I find here? I love that scent!
:) The trees themselves don't really have a smell but the sap on them has a strong pine scent. The cones also make great fire starters. Pinon wood burns very hot and doesn't pop like some other woods.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom