Your most embarrassing cooking moments.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KellyM

Senior Cook
I just confessed in another thread, and it got me to thinking; confession is good for the soul, and hearing other people's confessions is good for the ego!

So what cooking blunders have you committed? I've done some doozies, but this is the one that comes to mind just now.

I had cooked up some bacon that morning, and for some reason just never got around to removing and cleaning the pan. Just lazy that day, I guess, especially since I then went on to break my own rule of never cooking in a dirty kitchen. I was only going to make coffee, though.

I went to boil some water, and turned it on high. (I use a french press to make coffee.) I can only say in my defense that it was a new stove, and I wasn't yet familiar with the controls. (I know, I know, how hard can it be? :ermm: )

Well, I walked out of the room for a couple of minutes, and when I returned to check on the water, the bacon grease was on fire! A column of flame a foot tall and a foot wide was sitting there on my oven.

Well, I got the fire quenched, and figured the pan was ruined, (I envisioned great, peeling blisters of teflon) but it came through fine. I'm really glad the house did as well. Color me sheepish.

I have more; I'll post a couple after you do. Show me yours and I'll show you mine.

Kelly

not really "cooking", but once I put SALT in a gallon of home made ice cream instead of sugar. (I DID have the containers labled, but neglected to look! I ASSumed it was the same place I last put it, but when hubby moves stuff.. yea yea that's it.. i'll blame him!! LOL)
I never taste tested it, so when i got to church with it i just dropped it off in the fellowship hall kitchen....... after services, one of the older ladies pulled me asside and told me that she didnt think I would want my ice cream out there with all the others and then had me taste it. I was SOOOO embarassed.

LOL! Great story! Thanks for sharing it.

I'm curious, though. Was there any problem with the ice cream setting?

Kelly

no, it was soft just like it would have been with sugar... normally after churning it, you'd put it in the freezer for a few hours before serving, but most people down south here cant wait that long LOL.

i guess this is an embarrasing cooking type story, but when i had my first apartment in my early 20's, i was seen very often in either my skivvys or birthday suit in my kitchen overlooking a courtyard of a garden apartment complex.
i bought one of those thin bamboo-like roll up blinds for the kitchen window, not noticing that while it looked nice and blocked most of your vision to the outside, it was perfectly see thru from the outside if the lights were on in the kitchen.

many mornings i'd roll out of bed, clothing optional, and go to the kitchen to suck down a carton of juice, trying to stave off the oncoming hangover.
a girlfriend (that tried very hard to become a roommate) also did the same thing, as nekkid as a jaybird.

it was months later that i was out in the courtyard, talking to a neighbor that i looked up and saw her in all her glory, getting something out of the fridge.

i'd always wondered why the old bugger was so nice to us, and why his wife and her friends always blushed and giggled a little when i'd pass them in the yard.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom