Your New Years food and weather?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mel!

Sous Chef
What are they?
We have snow here.
I am making fondu, ole bullen, chocolate truffles, french fries the way the Dutch make them for nostalgic boyfriend and some coffee and brandy cream liquer.
We also have a heap of chips and candy and champagne.
Mel

I like the sound of your celebrations Mel. I usually do a seafood fondue for NYE. This year though, I roasted a ham with a cranberry/mustard/honey glaze and served it with roasted baby potatoes, and roasted green and white asparagus, followed by (shop-bought) tiramisu and all washed down with a bottle of bubbly.

It was cool this morning but got quite hot in the afternoon. The Easterly has not kicked in (which brings warm weather) but is quite cooling at the moment. I've just re-opened the house again after frantically running around shutting all the doors and windows at midnight. My neighbour likes to celebrate with a big bang and blows up empty cool drink bottles with his oxy-acetyline gear and my cats nearly had a collective heart attack. I'm sitting here waiting for one of them to recover enough from the shock so that he can resurface and I can give him his medicine!!! Teach me for being slack!!

I can hear all the emergency sirens going down the major street near me. Just hope it isn't another arson attack...

well I currently have a rather large beef brisket in the pot with beer, onions, bay leaves, liquid smoke, mustard powder and salt, simmering nicely, when done I`ll take it out and let it cool in the fridge overnight, then slice it and put it on German Pumpernickel, that will be for Jan 1`st meal.

tonight it`s being kept simple, just a plain smorgosbord of cold cuts and cheeses and pickles and crackers etc...

the weather is set to get Colder and on Tue - Thurs it is set to Snow here :)

Is midnight over where u are already Bilby? We have 6 hours to go. :)
So did u break your new years resolution yet?

It's only a little after 11 a.m. here in western Kentucky. It's a beautiful, clear day. The sun is brightly shining and there's not a cloud in the brilliant blue sky. Just a wisp of a breeze now and then. The temp, even though it's sunny, is only about 40F. Supposed to be clear and cold tonight. Temp is predicted to to drop to about 20F tonight.

Buck and I will welcome 2008 alone, but we'll do it as we always do...with fondue made from his Swiss grandfather's recipe, homemade baguette cut into cubes and a nice big bottle of bubbly.

The "noise" we'll probably hear are the bulldozers tearing down what is left of our courthouse after last Wednesday's early morning fire. The courthouse is not many yards from our house and Buck drove down to see what was happening this morning. He said there were all sorts of lights set up and generators so the workmen could work through the night. There's been a constant "crashing and banging" since the fire.

Tomorrow will be a lazy day and we'll finish with ribeye steaks with gorgonzola/mushroom/onion cream sauce, twice baked potatoes and a nice bottle of wine.

Wednesday, we'll have to get back to "the real world."

"Happy New Year, everyone!!!:clap::clap::clap:

It's a beautiful sunny day in So. California. Food/dinner will be a surprise. Been dropping hints for Gladstone's (as I'm in the mood for Shee Crab soup & lobster. (Would love to go to an early dinner, watch the waves roll in & the sunset.)

Gladstone's of Malibu

Or Cut

Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills - Dining

Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills - Photo gallery

Wouldn't mind staying in for a Pizza either.

(Had my fill of fondue and spinach salad several days ago. Posted links to WS fondues & AB's Spinach salad.)

Tomorrow, will see if it's possible to get near the Rose Bowl & munch along the way.

Tournament of Roses

Happy New Year.

Last edited:
Nothing special eating wise tonight, but we are suppose to get between 5-9 inches of snow by tomorrow night ! :ohmy:

Have a safe and Happy New Year All !!!

Tonight I think we will stay in and have cocktail shrimp, homemade crab cakes, and fondue with bread. Oh yeah and a ton of champagne! Happy New Year everyone!!!

I am making Tilapia with tortellini in cheese sauce for lunch.

We have a little less than 12 hours to go. It's overcast here & humid but a cold front is coming through in the next day & we may have a low of 53 degrees very cold for Isla Mujeres, MX. We have family visiting & 6 kids under 7 so we are having a bbq at home with brats, saurkraut, onions, peppers, onion rings, fries, a salad & dark chocolate frosted brownies. Tomorrow night, we will do an adult only dinner at a Mediterranean restaurant downtown. Happy New Year!

Is midnight over where u are already Bilby? We have 6 hours to go. :)
So did u break your new years resolution yet?
I don't make them any more!! Too many got lost on the wayside the Very next day!! :LOL: However, this year, I didn't say them, just acted on them and started by hacking into my wardrobe and getting rid of clothes that I don't have a hope in fitting back into within this lifetime and those clothes that even if they fit, don't fit my style any more. Stuck em all into the washing machine and have cleaned them ready to take to the Salvos or Red Cross.

Jan 1, 2008 is almost over and I have been sitting eating oven baked rolls filled with the left over ham, cream cheese and asparagus and supping on the left over bubbly. I heard a few heavy drops of rain a few mins ago on the tin patio roof and got all excited for a sec but I guess the clouds have deemed my suburb unworthy for tonight.

There was a rather large party that got out of control in my neighbouring suburb so that is probably where the sirens were headed. Still had a big fire in the southern suburbs but that's to be expected when there are arsonists on the prowl.

No clue on the food for the day... let you know when I get it figured out. But the weather is chilly, extreme clear/sunny, and should warm up a bit as the day wears on.

Am going to visit my son and his bride later. They suggested a German restaurant. As I eat little German food, I have no idea what I'll order.

Tonight it is supposed to freeze for the third time this year, not exactly a hardship, but I dragged freeze-sensitive potted plants inside and have covered others. Several plants in my garden will not survive a frost.

DH is really getting into cooking, since I'm recovering from surgery :) Tonight we're having chicken Parmesan with salad and spaghetti, with chocolate pudding for dessert, topped with a mixture of whipped cream and mascarpone cheese.

We had a very nice day today - sunny and mild, temps in the '50s. Happy New Year, everyone :)

I made tourtiere and beets and a tossed mixed green salad. Pretty good, if I do say so myself.

yesterday afternoon was pretty comfortable in the city, in the low 40's.

my family came in to meet me at work (and get me out early :mrgreen:), so we went over to f.a.o. shwartz, then to rock center to see the tree, then down to chinatown/little italy for shopping and dinner.

dinner was at vincent's. everything was excellent, except the meatballs. mine are better. :cool:
we had calamari marinara over linguini, grilled swordfish in herb butter with a side of liguini and hot sauce, and meatballs and spaghetti.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom