"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-11-2007, 11:30 AM   #11
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Dirt can't hide from intensified Tide!

I prefer the Tide with the color-safe bleach, but regular Tide, and all the other flavors of Tide, are the best on the market as far as getting things clean. Liquid or powder doesn't matter.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:35 AM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

In tests that rate detergents, Tide in one form or another usually is head and shoulders above all the others.

That being said, unless you have family members who regularly get clothes VERY dirty with ground in dirt, grass stains, etc., most detergents eill work just fine.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:31 PM   #13
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I use generics in some things, but I have not had any luck with generic laundry detergents. If I use them too long the clothes seem to get dingier, and I have had the agitator on the washing machine turn orange from some of them.

I do buy what is on sale, but only within a few brands. I really like liquid Tide, but I also use Era, Whisk, Cheer, Bold, Surf, and Gain. As with shampoo, I think it is good to change now and then, but I do only use name brands.

Barbara
Old 11-11-2007, 01:43 PM   #14
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
As with shampoo, I think it is good to change now and then, but I do only use name brands.

Barbara
I've been using Tide exclusively even longer than I have been using Tres Emme exclusively. I've tried most available brands of both laundry detergent and shampoo, and I have learned to stick with what works best.

In fact, I first bought Tres Emme shampoo not only becuase you get a quart for the same price or less than you pay for 16 ounces of any other sahmpoo, but also because it was the only name brand on the shelf who's instructions did not specify "Lather, Rinse, and Repeat. I figured if it can't get the job done the first time, I'm not interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
That being said, unless you have family members who regularly get clothes VERY dirty with ground in dirt, grass stains, etc., most detergents eill work just fine.
When I first started doing my own laundry I had a son who could mange to get dirty in a cacoon (he could also manage to lose a sock without taking his shoes off, but that's for another time). That, plus a budding ice hockey career (stinky equipment and uniforms) and an adversion to bloody noses when the humidity dropped or the elevation changed dramatically, caused me to switch to Tide with bleach permanently. I've had women marvel at how easily I can get blood out of stuff!. There's just me now, but like I said, I have a tendency to stick with what I find works best, so whenever I see Tide on sale, regardless whether it's liquid or powder, I buy it and stash it in the garage. I currently have one box and two bottles down there.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:15 PM   #15
Cook

one reason your arms itched was because tide has use alot of alkili in there farmula.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:26 PM   #16
Head Chef

tide with bleach is about all we buy ..
Old 11-11-2007, 03:56 PM   #17
Everymom

I'm a Tide girl too. I tend to use quite a bit less than it suggests though. When I worked in retail, the P&G salesman used to tell us that you only need about a 1/4 of the soap that they suggest you use. (Which accounts for many allergic reactions) So...I hardly use any detergent at all. I DO use OxiClean to boost whites, or bleach sometimes, and I also like the new dual action Spray and Wash stain remover thingy.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:06 PM   #18
Cook

I like to use liquid wisk in the red bottle, to get out stains. that is what we use in boot camp in the navy. And it worked great.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:29 AM   #19
Sous Chef

I only use the same one. Omo liquid :)
Old 11-12-2007, 12:43 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I'm a Tide girl too. I tend to use quite a bit less than it suggests though. When I worked in retail, the P&G salesman used to tell us that you only need about a 1/4 of the soap that they suggest you use. (Which accounts for many allergic reactions) So...I hardly use any detergent at all. I DO use OxiClean to boost whites, or bleach sometimes, and I also like the new dual action Spray and Wash stain remover thingy.
Yes, Alix, I use less than is recommended. I did so even when our children were "dirt factories." Read that working for lawn services and being car mechanics. Even resorted to black hand towels in the downstairs bathroom because of the automotive "challenge."

Since we have 4 sons, our laundry was quite a challenge. Although, I have to say, it was one Tide always met with success. I've never had to use special spot additives, etc.

As long as I washed their duds with Tide and added my trusty Arm & Hammer baking soda, everything came out good as new. Too many years later, I'm still getting the same results.