"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 08-06-2012, 03:59 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I have a few regular spots I like to go, but for the most part my third place is part of my first place - the back yard! Most evenings in the summer we just enjoy sitting out on the deck or patio, having a glass of wine, and watching the world go by.
We too love sitting outside on the patio overlooking our lovely garden having some drinks...very relaxing indeed

All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:04 AM   #12
Executive Chef
3rd Place

Thank you for the interesting post subject ...

1st: Rental Loft Madrid Capital ( this is temporary )
2nd: Magazine Office - professional activities
3rd: Our Port side Spot with Adriatic seascape & ancient Fort views, close to our Condo, Puglia ...
4th: The Sea - worldwide

Have a lovely summer.
Margaux Cintrano
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GIRONA.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	14992   Click image for larger version

Views:	72
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	14993  

Margi Cintrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:39 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
Wow, what lovely photos Margi
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:42 AM   #14
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
I do have a life outside my home, I read, even if I had a place to hang out, I would take a book with me. I guess I don't NEED other people, but I do NEED Shrek. If I need "me time," I'm likely to go window shopping or just head for the woods.
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:15 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
Almost every Wednesday evening for the past 11 years, I've been going out to dinner with friends. We used to go to a different restaurant every week, but the gang has changed, there's a core of three close friends, and we usually go to a local watering hole that has half-price drinks during happy hour (5-7 p.m. every day) and 50-cent tacos on Wednesdays. We're going to switch to Thursdays, because one friend wants to start going to a yoga class on Wednesdays. The Thursday special at Red Dog is half-price pizzas
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #16
Certified Cake Maniac
Disabilities and life during the past several years turned my profession (caterer, baker and cake decorator) into a hobby (the cake part). During the time my Dad was with us my first, second and third places were home with him and as much time as I could squeeze in with DH.

But now, I would say my time is spread out this way:
1. My home as a whole and time with hubby
2. Time in my office/studio (still "under construction") perfecting my craft
3. With my youth group - cooking for them, driving them to events teaching them, just being with them!
"Variety is not just the spice of life, it is the key to life" - Chef Michael Smith

LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #17
Head Chef
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I know I started a line like this many moons ago (it may have even been before DC), but something I just wrote brought it to the front of my mind yet again:

Your first place is your home; where you live. Your second place is your job, where you go every day to make payments on the first place (!)

What is your third place?

I have always had a "happy hour" place. Long about 5-6 p.m. on Fridays, Everywhere I've lived, you can find me at a favored bar, sipping some wine. I met my husband at such a place. Right now, if you come to my town, anyone knows to look for me at 5, and I have about a dozen like-minded friends who will be there with us.

There are a few men who are at the library when it opens (11 a.m.), and they sit together mostly in silence, reading all the newspapers.

I've yet to find a town that doesn't have a McD's group of retired men sitting over breakfast/coffee, hashing over the latest.

We all love our spouses, but no one can be everything for another, 24/7. Where do you go to socialize on a regular basis?
My second or third place (w/i the last year or so, since freak surgery & trying to recover) has been bed, the supermarket, doing errands, & trying to take care of my home.

In my 20s & early 30s, I met my friends at upscale restaurants or jazz places for Happy Hour. Mostly places where other folks in the "industry" hung out. We knew the musicians and/or folks working in the same industry, & had a common bond. The spread sometimes was pretty good, some serving oysters on silver platters, etc; and others having inexpensive cocktails or pitchers of margaritas & build your own deli sandwiches -- or whatever the chef wanted to put out there.

I can "chat" with almost anyone, but don't care for small talk with strangers. I enjoyed taking classes at a local community college.

I'm single & not out there "looking" to meet anyone. Starbucks seems to be very popular - though I'm not a coffee drinker or interested in "hanging out." An older friend attends a senior center. They go on numerous trips, i.e. Vegas, the theatre, etc.

There are so many things to do & places to go from museums to the theatre - can't narrow it down to a third place.
Cerise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #18
Sous Chef
My third place used to be drinks/ dinner with friends but once I got married I realized how jealous my husband actually is so the socializing was too much effort. I now have my third place is wherever my son is.
"Omit and substitute! That's how recipes should be written. Please don't ever get so hung up on published recipes that you forget that you can omit and substitute."
Jeff Smith, The Frugal Gourmet
Merlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
My socializing is on a 3 days a week basis with friends at dialysis, DH goes to meet buddies at the coffee shop near our old pharmacy and then on Friday's he has breakfast for an old partner and other 2 pharmacist's . We love each other dearly and love being together, but there are times we need alone time. There are times I get cranky and need to do something on my own. Now that I can drive again it's get outtah Dodge time on Saturdays when I go grocery shopping all by my lonesome that really brings a smile to my face. Having the babies here on the weekend for Ma's Sunday is the best day of my week. So all in all we each do something that makes us happy and that we can share and smile at with each other.
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:23 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
my third place is in my head. thinking of the book, i will read next. how the current craft is going and what i will make next. i have many memories of my husband and they are in my head. sometimes, it is sad thinking and sometime a joy. none of these things require any companion.

"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote