"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-08-2008, 11:48 AM   #11
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
If I find some kind of a blemish, I usually cut it out. In the store, I am looking for fresh. I will take fresh with a small blemish over tired looking unblemished.

So far as germs, everything has them. In fact, I have read that with all the waterless hand cleaners and germ focus that immune systems are not fully "uo to speed" (my words). Our bodies have the ability to throw off a great deal of germs to portect us.

I would be more skeptical of food that is to be eaten raw, than something I am going to cook.

And Yup! I am male, we are the species that will pick something off the floor and eat it. And, we are still here. Jest kiddin' - AC

Old 07-08-2008, 11:50 AM   #12
Head Chef

Further to previous post, while I like dirt I must confess a distatse for blemished things...bruised are rejected in store, and I used to prefer to no bug marked etc thing, but thank goodness for Italy! I got used to seeing normal 'bemishes' and remembered that these things with a more natural appearance TASTE so much better, perhaps to do with natural way grown (I'm sure bug-lunched -here marks and splits in the skin don't actually improve the taste, just provide evidnce that the produce was grown in a way that lets nature maximise taste.)

Old 07-08-2008, 12:55 PM   #13
Head Chef

I agree that we are getting to be TOO clean. Our bodies are not building up the proper immunities. IMO

I always buy fruit that looks more natural and bright. The brighter the color, the better it is for you (that is, if you're looking at fruits and vegetables WITHOUT wax).

To answer the question, I have noticed cuts that resemble fingernails and the skin has been penetrated. That said though, I do not reject fruit that looks as if it was scratched by a racoon or some other small animal during growth (you can tell the difference because it has the appearance of "stitches"). I much prefer fruit like that than to a perfect fruit grown in a green house without even touching nature.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:55 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Just watch out for the bird dookie.
LMBO!!!!

I don't get upset... just keep searching till I find my perfect produce!!!
Old 07-08-2008, 02:29 PM   #15
Sous Chef

I always figured Salmonella and E. Coli could be spread to our veggies because they are grown on manure. It can easily get on leaves, can't it? Although I do love the summer when I can eat from my own garden and I know exactly where everything has/has not been sprayed with.

And to make sure I stick with the topic, I don't examine my fruit real closely, but I usually won't pick any that have any kind of bruise or cut. If I accidentally get one, I just cut it off or cook it (depending on what it is).

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:39 PM   #16
Head Chef

I have never noticed a fingernail mark on any produce I have bought. If I noticed it on something I was cutting up to use, I'd likely just cut it out. I have noticed, however, that when I am cutting up fresh fruit (mangos, for example), the pieces sometime bear my own fingernail marks (I have very strong nails). I am meticulous about keeping my hands clean in the kitchen, but have wondered if this is off-putting to anyone eating at our home...
Old 07-08-2008, 03:44 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks, itk. now every time i see a small arc mark in a piece of fruit, i'm gonna think of all of the disguting claws that have previosly handled the fruit.

you can be sure i'll wash everything for now on as well.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:25 PM   #18
Executive Chef

buckytom, I know you pay attention to the food you prepare. You have a family you don't wan t anything to happen to, especially something from someone's fingernail. I just seem to notice this on most of the produce and just wondered what everyone else thought. Goes to show you I must be thinking too hard or worrying too much. My crowd does complain if there are still stems on my string beans and skins on the potatoes. Personally, I feel as though I take best precaution I possibly can.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:14 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
I've never ever noticed a fingernail mark on any fresh produce.
Dents, cuts and blemishes, sure.
Doesn't bother me in the least.
I eat food that falls on the floor, too. ;)
5 second rule??

I have noticed fingernail marks on my fruit before, but very seldom. Once in a great while I will see a woman dig a fingernail into a piece of fruit and am guessing she is checking for ripeness although I do not think that is the best way to do it.
Some women just have long fingernails, so I think it is probable that in the course of handling the fruit and picking thru it for the ones she wants she may inadvertently leave a mark or two.
I always make sure the fruit I get has no marks, bruises, or cuts of any kind on it first before buying. It just seems to me that if I get one that does it ends up starting to go bad just when it is ripening and half of it ends up inedible.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:05 AM   #20
Sous Chef

I have a confession...

I went grocery shopping yesterday and was picking out some plums. As I reached down to pick up a particularly juicy looking one I felt my fingernail dig into one of the plums below it. I tried to find the blemished fruit but alas--it was nowhere to be found. I couldn't afford to buy the whole box, so now In the Kitchen or BT or someone will have to endure the horrible germs found under my fingernails. I'M SO SORRY! I SWEAR IT WAS AN ACCIDENT!

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote