Your Thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
I would like to know if anyone gets upset when they see a fingernail mark on their fruit or vegetables? I buy fair amount of fresh produce. When slicing them I notice a fingernail impression which I naturally cut out. This is offensive to me as it is our food and I am not questioning anything wrong. Just that when the people that have to pick them they do leave an impression on the item. Do you think this is any way that this salmonella could be spreading? All these different things that are happening and the causes are baffling the general public. I always have felt that there are certainly bacteria or something else under the fingernails.

You all may think I have a hang up on nails since I discussed problem with my foot and the toenail, however I have always wanted to ask all of you and hope you know I am serious about this. I never have noticed this on my produce before.

Thanks for being sincere. I have asked so many questions in the past and you are all so helpful and patient.

I don't get upset, but I do cut that part out.

TBH, this salmonella thing with veg seems quite dramatically contained to US....yet people pick and eat veg everywhere, have there been big instances I've not heard about with similar produce elsewhere?

I think its important to remember food grows in dirt and that though I know food can be produced in sterile conditions hydroponically its fine for it to grow in dirt exposed to all sorts of nasties too. I know alot of asthma and allergies have shown relation to overclean houses, I wonder if a similar thing is going on in food too? That we simply don't eat enough dirt? I have to admit I pick and eat direct from the garden without washing stuff sometimes (mainly soft fruits and asparagus when we had it).

I do not think those scars you see are fingernail marks. i suppose they could be sometimes, but I have always just thought they were scars that the fruit picked up along the way from various things.

I don't get upset I just put it back and take one that is nearer the middle of the stack. Fingernail marks mean someone has obviously stuck a nail into the fruit or veggie to feel it's ripeness or whatever. Fingernails are dirty and carry a great deal of bacteria. I have no way of knowing how clean the poker's nails are nor do I care. The bacteria can spread throughout the fruit or veggie so cutting that part out is not an option for me. . I carefully examine all of the produce I buy. And I eat nothing without completely washing it first.

I've never ever noticed a fingernail mark on any fresh produce.
Dents, cuts and blemishes, sure.
Doesn't bother me in the least.
I eat food that falls on the floor, too. ;)

This is something I wanted others opinions about. I appreciate them. As lulu said maybe expect things to be too clean. Reason I want everyone washing their hands is they do hold lot of germs that person doesn't see. Like Howard Hughes at the end of his life got paranoid about germs. With so many people, you question whether others feel the same way about what they eat? My own brother has been known to pick things out of the pile and sample them. He is the one who always tells me about pesticides and different chemicals they use to prevent bugs. I also think it is wonderful to eat something right out of the garden that you yourself picked. Nothing like it. Those days are gone today. If it isn't in a can or frozen, getting it fresh is challenge.

I thank you for just accepting my questions. I have always gotten responses which I wonder if the average individual would take time to respond. I will just continue to remove the mark when I see them, no matter what it is. thanks

I shop at: my local Amish farm market : produce is cared for, fresh picked that day or sometimes while you wait. A local Gourmet market:(Jansens) surprisingly big and well stocked. Everything is placed gently and kept first rate. Whole foods: (when I'm in the area as it is close to 45min away by hiway) again, produce is lovingly cared for and placed, never dumped by the box or heaped up. My local big super market (Giant Food)
well there is one produce guy (a youngster by my perspective) who really cares about his produce and knows me and makes sure I get the best he has.

Yes I want unblemished produce. I prefer it dirty, (which means less handling by machines and storage facilities) and unwrapped when possible. I do make friends with the folks who work at the stores as they know when stuff comes in and how fresh it is. And they do want to show off their best stuff to people who care.

When buying fruits and vegetables, I am what most people call a "toucher". I examine fruits and veg for marks, dents and the like and choose the best without any marks on them. I want to use the whole fruit, a whole cucumber, for instance, not have to cut out any dark parts. I am concern the same when after having choosen my fruit and veg that when I come to a checkout, the operator will not be as careful as I am in handling them so I go to the self-yourself checkout instead if I have fruit and veg. It is one way I can keep my own sanity and eccentricities and not have to let others grin and bear me when I disapprove of their unthinking actions.

If I find some kind of a blemish, I usually cut it out. In the store, I am looking for fresh. I will take fresh with a small blemish over tired looking unblemished.

So far as germs, everything has them. In fact, I have read that with all the waterless hand cleaners and germ focus that immune systems are not fully "uo to speed" (my words). Our bodies have the ability to throw off a great deal of germs to portect us.

I would be more skeptical of food that is to be eaten raw, than something I am going to cook.

And Yup! I am male, we are the species that will pick something off the floor and eat it. :rolleyes: And, we are still here. :rolleyes: Jest kiddin' - AC

Further to previous post, while I like dirt I must confess a distatse for blemished things...bruised are rejected in store, and I used to prefer to no bug marked etc thing, but thank goodness for Italy! I got used to seeing normal 'bemishes' and remembered that these things with a more natural appearance TASTE so much better, perhaps to do with natural way grown (I'm sure bug-lunched -here marks and splits in the skin don't actually improve the taste, just provide evidnce that the produce was grown in a way that lets nature maximise taste.)

I agree that we are getting to be TOO clean. Our bodies are not building up the proper immunities. IMO

I always buy fruit that looks more natural and bright. The brighter the color, the better it is for you (that is, if you're looking at fruits and vegetables WITHOUT wax).

To answer the question, I have noticed cuts that resemble fingernails and the skin has been penetrated. That said though, I do not reject fruit that looks as if it was scratched by a racoon or some other small animal during growth (you can tell the difference because it has the appearance of "stitches"). I much prefer fruit like that than to a perfect fruit grown in a green house without even touching nature.

I always figured Salmonella and E. Coli could be spread to our veggies because they are grown on manure. It can easily get on leaves, can't it? Although I do love the summer when I can eat from my own garden and I know exactly where everything has/has not been sprayed with.

And to make sure I stick with the topic, I don't examine my fruit real closely, but I usually won't pick any that have any kind of bruise or cut. If I accidentally get one, I just cut it off or cook it (depending on what it is).

I have never noticed a fingernail mark on any produce I have bought. If I noticed it on something I was cutting up to use, I'd likely just cut it out. I have noticed, however, that when I am cutting up fresh fruit (mangos, for example), the pieces sometime bear my own fingernail marks (I have very strong nails). I am meticulous about keeping my hands clean in the kitchen, but have wondered if this is off-putting to anyone eating at our home...

thanks, itk. now every time i see a small arc mark in a piece of fruit, i'm gonna think of all of the disguting claws that have previosly handled the fruit. :mellow:

you can be sure i'll wash everything for now on as well.

buckytom, I know you pay attention to the food you prepare. You have a family you don't wan t anything to happen to, especially something from someone's fingernail. I just seem to notice this on most of the produce and just wondered what everyone else thought. Goes to show you I must be thinking too hard or worrying too much. My crowd does complain if there are still stems on my string beans and skins on the potatoes. Personally, I feel as though I take best precaution I possibly can.

I've never ever noticed a fingernail mark on any fresh produce.
Dents, cuts and blemishes, sure.
Doesn't bother me in the least.
I eat food that falls on the floor, too. ;)

5 second rule??:LOL:

I have noticed fingernail marks on my fruit before, but very seldom. Once in a great while I will see a woman dig a fingernail into a piece of fruit and am guessing she is checking for ripeness although I do not think that is the best way to do it.
Some women just have long fingernails, so I think it is probable that in the course of handling the fruit and picking thru it for the ones she wants she may inadvertently leave a mark or two.
I always make sure the fruit I get has no marks, bruises, or cuts of any kind on it first before buying. It just seems to me that if I get one that does it ends up starting to go bad just when it is ripening and half of it ends up inedible.

I have a confession...:unsure:

I went grocery shopping yesterday and was picking out some plums. As I reached down to pick up a particularly juicy looking one I felt my fingernail dig into one of the plums below it. I tried to find the blemished fruit but alas--it was nowhere to be found. I couldn't afford to buy the whole box, so now In the Kitchen or BT or someone will have to endure the horrible germs found under my fingernails. I'M SO SORRY! I SWEAR IT WAS AN ACCIDENT!

Back
Top Bottom