"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-08-2008, 07:51 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Your Thoughts

I would like to know if anyone gets upset when they see a fingernail mark on their fruit or vegetables? I buy fair amount of fresh produce. When slicing them I notice a fingernail impression which I naturally cut out. This is offensive to me as it is our food and I am not questioning anything wrong. Just that when the people that have to pick them they do leave an impression on the item. Do you think this is any way that this salmonella could be spreading? All these different things that are happening and the causes are baffling the general public. I always have felt that there are certainly bacteria or something else under the fingernails.

You all may think I have a hang up on nails since I discussed problem with my foot and the toenail, however I have always wanted to ask all of you and hope you know I am serious about this. I never have noticed this on my produce before.

Thanks for being sincere. I have asked so many questions in the past and you are all so helpful and patient.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:23 AM   #2
Head Chef

I don't get upset, but I do cut that part out.

TBH, this salmonella thing with veg seems quite dramatically contained to US....yet people pick and eat veg everywhere, have there been big instances I've not heard about with similar produce elsewhere?

I think its important to remember food grows in dirt and that though I know food can be produced in sterile conditions hydroponically its fine for it to grow in dirt exposed to all sorts of nasties too. I know alot of asthma and allergies have shown relation to overclean houses, I wonder if a similar thing is going on in food too? That we simply don't eat enough dirt? I have to admit I pick and eat direct from the garden without washing stuff sometimes (mainly soft fruits and asparagus when we had it).

Old 07-08-2008, 08:55 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

I do not think those scars you see are fingernail marks. i suppose they could be sometimes, but I have always just thought they were scars that the fruit picked up along the way from various things.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:55 AM   #4
Head Chef

I don't get upset I just put it back and take one that is nearer the middle of the stack. Fingernail marks mean someone has obviously stuck a nail into the fruit or veggie to feel it's ripeness or whatever. Fingernails are dirty and carry a great deal of bacteria. I have no way of knowing how clean the poker's nails are nor do I care. The bacteria can spread throughout the fruit or veggie so cutting that part out is not an option for me. . I carefully examine all of the produce I buy. And I eat nothing without completely washing it first.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:16 AM   #5
Head Chef

I've never ever noticed a fingernail mark on any fresh produce.
Dents, cuts and blemishes, sure.
Doesn't bother me in the least.
I eat food that falls on the floor, too. ;)
Old 07-08-2008, 09:21 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Never noticed any fingernail marks. Although, I usually had a cocktail or two by then.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:09 AM   #7
Executive Chef

This is something I wanted others opinions about. I appreciate them. As lulu said maybe expect things to be too clean. Reason I want everyone washing their hands is they do hold lot of germs that person doesn't see. Like Howard Hughes at the end of his life got paranoid about germs. With so many people, you question whether others feel the same way about what they eat? My own brother has been known to pick things out of the pile and sample them. He is the one who always tells me about pesticides and different chemicals they use to prevent bugs. I also think it is wonderful to eat something right out of the garden that you yourself picked. Nothing like it. Those days are gone today. If it isn't in a can or frozen, getting it fresh is challenge.

I thank you for just accepting my questions. I have always gotten responses which I wonder if the average individual would take time to respond. I will just continue to remove the mark when I see them, no matter what it is. thanks
Old 07-08-2008, 11:00 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen View Post
I also think it is wonderful to eat something right out of the garden that you yourself picked. Nothing like it.

Just watch out for the bird dookie.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:34 AM   #9
Executive Chef

I shop at: my local Amish farm market : produce is cared for, fresh picked that day or sometimes while you wait. A local Gourmet market:(Jansens) surprisingly big and well stocked. Everything is placed gently and kept first rate. Whole foods: (when I'm in the area as it is close to 45min away by hiway) again, produce is lovingly cared for and placed, never dumped by the box or heaped up. My local big super market (Giant Food)
well there is one produce guy (a youngster by my perspective) who really cares about his produce and knows me and makes sure I get the best he has.

Yes I want unblemished produce. I prefer it dirty, (which means less handling by machines and storage facilities) and unwrapped when possible. I do make friends with the folks who work at the stores as they know when stuff comes in and how fresh it is. And they do want to show off their best stuff to people who care.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:41 AM   #10
Senior Cook

When buying fruits and vegetables, I am what most people call a "toucher". I examine fruits and veg for marks, dents and the like and choose the best without any marks on them. I want to use the whole fruit, a whole cucumber, for instance, not have to cut out any dark parts. I am concern the same when after having choosen my fruit and veg that when I come to a checkout, the operator will not be as careful as I am in handling them so I go to the self-yourself checkout instead if I have fruit and veg. It is one way I can keep my own sanity and eccentricities and not have to let others grin and bear me when I disapprove of their unthinking actions.

--Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Cooper'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote