"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-18-2007, 10:30 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
We've given and received them. Of our 5 children, two of them are very difficult to buy for. One of them likes/desires very little. The other travels for a living and is rarely home. Both of them have the resources to buy more extravagant things than Buck and I could ever give them. As a result, we give both of them gift cards to stores that offer "goodies" they like.

Both of them "flip" houses, so cards to Lowe's and The Home Depot are welcomed. One of them is an avid hunter...of anything, so gift cards to Wal-Mart, Gander Mountain, etc. are his cup of tea.

We'd love it if they would sit still long enough to establish some "habits" so we could give them more traditional gifts.

At the same time, we receive gift cards from them. Buck and I live in a very rural area and live pretty simply and have most of what we need or buy our toys, etc. That happens at our age. We love it when we get a nice fat gift card to our favorite online catalogue site or to a restaurant in our area. Our children are aware of our food preferences - no chains - and have been thoughtful to give us vouchers for restaurants in our area.

Another consideration, voiced by someone else, is the cost of shipping gifts. None of our children and/or their families live closer than 800 miles, so the cost of postage/shipping reduces what we want to "shower" them with for gifts. Again, gift cards are a good solution.

Just my comments.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:51 PM   #32
Sous Chef

I'd like to add a suggestion, if you send your gift cards via the mail, get it insured. My parents sent my DH a gift card for $50.00 last year for his birthday . . . he never received it. I'm sure it was "intercepted" along the way. Insurance through the post office is pretty cheap.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:02 PM   #33
Master Chef

I'm gonna follow the advice of that old adage; "If you can't find anything good to say, don't say nuthin' !"
Old 11-19-2007, 04:54 PM   #34
Master Chef

Ok, I'll say something nice, luckytrim..... I like your colorful avatar.....first time that I've seen it.................:)

good advice, Pytn Place, as I'll probably be sending a few this season
Old 11-20-2007, 09:16 AM   #35
Master Chef

TXH expatgirl- It's the label of my vanity steak sauce; I call it
"Hillbilly Gothic"

meanwhile, back to the subject at hand..........

Gift cards are not gifts - MSN Money
Old 11-20-2007, 09:20 AM   #36
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckytrim View Post
TXH expatgirl- It's the label of my vanity steak sauce; I call it
"Hillbilly Gothic"

meanwhile, back to the subject at hand..........

Gift cards are not gifts - MSN Money

That's kind of a cynical view. It could also say, " I wanted to give you something you could make use of that wasn't useless, the wrong size or a dust collecter."
Old 11-20-2007, 10:44 AM   #37
Executive Chef

Have talked about this very subject many times to friends and also been on the receiving end when the gift card expired. Thinkin the companys that use these know people will either lose them, forget about them, or whatever but it'll be the company's win not the recipient of the card ultimately.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:26 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Gift certificates... I love 'em. My mom always said I was hard to shop for. So are Don's parents.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:57 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Another bonus for xmax gift cards is if you wait till after New Year alot of stuff will be going on sale so you can get what you want and then some or get the better item for less.More bang for your buck.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:54 PM   #40
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I knew someone whose daughter-in-law worked at WalMart and got the employee discount. My friend didn't have much money, and they lived in another state (shipping issues). She bought WalMart cards for her grandsons and they were able to get more with their mom's discount. Another thing she talked about doing (don't know if she actually did it though) was buying a WalMart card for herself and adding a little to it each month. Then she would use it for her Christmas shopping in December.

Barbara