Your weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, there is some good stuff going on this weekend with all of you. I hope you all enjoy it. GB, I'm sure your wife will really appreciate the painting and what a thoughful thing to do for her.

Vicki, we'll be thinking of you. Sounds like a great way to honor and celebrate your son's life.

Same old here. Rehearsals both days. Saturday is one of the other gals bday, so I'm making a cake to take in and we'll enjoy it after all the long, hard work. I'm hoping to make it to the farmer's market as well.

Vicki, I'm sorry I missed your post. Sounds like a wonderful way to honor your son's life. Seems like he had good taste in foods too! :) Your very fortunate to have a cassestte tape of him playing the guitar and singing.

My thoughts will be with you and your family this Saturday.

Since it's the first weekend of the month, it means that Saturday is "Date Day" for Buck and me. We take the first Saturday of the month to spend together doing something fun. Could be anything from going to yard sales, junking, having lunch at a new or favorite place, going to the movies, whatever.

This Saturday we're going to the movies to see Black Dahlia. I've been wanting to see it and Buck is in love with Scarlett Johansson. We loved her in Girl with the Pearl Earring, which, if you haven't seen it, you should. After the movie we'll probably take the long way home to enjoy some of the colors beginning to happen in the woods. We live about 25 miles from the movie theater, so there'll be plenty of countryside to see. The weather's supposed to be nice, so that will be the icing on the cake.

It's homecoming for the college my DH went to so I might try to do some cooking for a tailgate party. Other than that I think it will be pretty quiet - except for the football games on TV.

sweet memories VickiQ :flowers:

Last edited:
buckytom said:
what does mulching do to help a tree? how deep, and what type of mulch is best? what about root or deep watering?

Benefits of Proper Mulching
  • Helps maintain soil moisture. Evaporation is reduced, and the need for watering can be minimized.
  • Helps control weeds. A 2- to 4-inch layer of mulch will reduce the germination and growth of weeds.
  • Mulch serves as nature’s insulating blanket. Mulch keeps soils warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.
  • Many types of mulch can improve soil aeration, structure (aggregation of soil particles), and drainage over time.
  • Some mulches can improve soil fertility.
  • A layer of mulch can inhibit certain plant diseases.
  • Mulching around trees helps facilitate maintenance and can reduce the likelihood of damage from “weed whackers” or the dreaded “lawn mower blight.”
  • Mulch can give planting beds a uniform, well-cared-for look.
Source: http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/mulching.aspx

Best wishes this weekend, VickiQ.

Minor misery for me this weekend. Daughter's blowout birthday party is tomorrow night. She's invited 70 of her closest friends to eat junk and listen to music at our community clubhouse. HH and I are the only chaperones.

Then, on Saturday, daughter and I get to go shopping for yet another dress for Homecoming, which is next weekend. I went ahead and purchased the dress she is in love with (that still will not fit her when I make her try it on again Sat. morning). So I will be accompanying an angry resentful girl to the stores to find something that is acceptable AND will fit her. Then on to buy shoes to match the also-ran outfit (if we find one). I am expecting major tears and angst and reduced choices in evening wear. I sooooo hope I am wrong about the last sentence.

So hopefully sometime on Sunday I can do the bills and laundry and maybe even cook something not drab for a change.

We need to do the yard work too. HH is scheduled to share an aerator with the neighbors to poke a bunch of holes in our raggedy lawn to loosen up the soil.

vagriller said:
I'll probably end up doing that too. We primered it weeks ago, but still need to paint (it's a sage type of color).

Ours will be a taupe color. Now I just need to figure out what colors I want in the rest of the house. I'm sick of white walls!

heartfelt thanks -pa baker,snoop puss,buckytom,mudbug,kitchenelf,amber and corazon-sure hope I haven't forgotten anyone because your thoughts do mean alot to me.lots of love and energy-Vicki

VickiQ-my thoughts are with you this weekend. Mudbug-I hope you stay sain. My inlaws are coming in tomorrow - we plan to put up some halloween decorations, maybe hit the pumpkin patch, close the pool, watch my 9-year old nephew play *tackle* (ouch) football and maybe hit the mall. We may go look at some kitchen cabinets and granite - if time permits!

mudbug said:
Best wishes this weekend, VickiQ.

Minor misery for me this weekend. Daughter's blowout birthday party is tomorrow night. She's invited 70 of her closest friends to eat junk and listen to music at our community clubhouse. HH and I are the only chaperones.

Then, on Saturday, daughter and I get to go shopping for yet another dress for Homecoming, which is next weekend. I went ahead and purchased the dress she is in love with (that still will not fit her when I make her try it on again Sat. morning). So I will be accompanying an angry resentful girl to the stores to find something that is acceptable AND will fit her. Then on to buy shoes to match the also-ran outfit (if we find one). I am expecting major tears and angst and reduced choices in evening wear. I sooooo hope I am wrong about the last sentence.

So hopefully sometime on Sunday I can do the bills and laundry and maybe even cook something not drab for a change.

We need to do the yard work too. HH is scheduled to share an aerator with the neighbors to poke a bunch of holes in our raggedy lawn to loosen up the soil.

Oh my mudbug! 70 friends and only you two as chaperones :ohmy: Whats the age group?

Amber/pdswife, they are all high school freshmen. I DO have a list of who was invited, to ward off any gate crashers, but I doubt I know half of these "friends." Fortunately, none of them can drive yet, so I expect to meet a bunch of parents I didn't know before Friday.

We will be celebrating my sons 25th birthday on Sunday. My daughter is cooking. Christian was really 25 on the 3rd, but he works very long hours. We will light a special candle for Jymm, VickyQ, and I will give very special and heartfelt thanks for my strong healthy son.

mudbug- i'll be sending huge prayers out for ARCHangels to be surrounding your fort!!! 70 teenagers-holy mackerel!

to add insult to injury for this weekend,I returned a little awhile ago from bringing my father to the hospital-his doctor thinks he's having a heart attack.my father and I are not very close but, he rang my doorbell this afternoon and asked me to take him to the emergency room and could he leave his car in my driveway. He was whisked away for bloodwork and all sorts of tests as soon as we arrived,thank God his doctor called ahead of time.I came home and called my siblings.I still don't know any results.My brother is going to take care of things from here on out as I told him that I really wanted to spend this weekend with my kids and he understood perfectly.Here's the kicker- the thing that is smartsing more than I can put into words right now-my oldest sister thinks I should "get over it"-meaning the death of my son.I can forgive her for not knowing what it's like to lose a child- she has never had children so even relating to a parent- child relationship is out of her realm but, it still hurts.
So with all this emotion I came here. I want to ask each of you once more to hug your children a little tighter this weekend- stare at them one second longer and if you only have pets- that will do too but, please,PLEASE spread a little bit of the love and energy I send to you always,Vicki

Ellen said:
We will be celebrating my sons 25th birthday on Sunday. My daughter is cooking. Christian was really 25 on the 3rd, but he works very long hours. We will light a special candle for Jymm, VickyQ, and I will give very special and heartfelt thanks for my strong healthy son.
(((Ellen))) I thank you from the bottom of my heart.Love and energy, Vicki

VickiQ said:
mudbug- i'll be sending huge prayers out for ARCHangels to be surrounding your fort!!! 70 teenagers-holy mackerel!

to add insult to injury for this weekend,I returned a little awhile ago from bringing my father to the hospital-his doctor thinks he's having a heart attack.my father and I are not very close but, he rang my doorbell this afternoon and asked me to take him to the emergency room and could he leave his car in my driveway. He was whisked away for bloodwork and all sorts of tests as soon as we arrived,thank God his doctor called ahead of time.I came home and called my siblings.I still don't know any results.My brother is going to take care of things from here on out as I told him that I really wanted to spend this weekend with my kids and he understood perfectly.Here's the kicker- the thing that is smartsing more than I can put into words right now-my oldest sister thinks I should "get over it"-meaning the death of my son.I can forgive her for not knowing what it's like to lose a child- she has never had children so even relating to a parent- child relationship is out of her realm but, it still hurts.
So with all this emotion I came here. I want to ask each of you once more to hug your children a little tighter this weekend- stare at them one second longer and if you only have pets- that will do too but, please,PLEASE spread a little bit of the love and energy I send to you always,Vicki

Vicki, I am so glad you asked your brother to handle things with your dad, you have your hands full right now and need to be with your family. Im sure your brother will call you to keep you updated.

Even though I have to work tomorrow, I just had my bi-weekly manicure and pedicure...so, officially, the weekend has started.

Tomorrow afternoon is a bit of family gathering of some older relatives on my Mom's side of the family. An aunt and uncle are flying in from CO, and some of us are getting together to say hello. I'm looking forward to that because I haven't seen them for many years.

Later tomorrow night Lou and I, my (ex)husband and his girlfriend, and our daughter will be celebrating our son's 21st birthday. (for the record, I was in labour 21 years ago today..., he was born 3:33am 10/6/85. We may all go to a dance club after that.

Saturday Lou and I will finally get to go apple picking. We're going to a place that is new to us, at BuckyTom's suggestion. Picnicing and mulled wine...
We'll be having Paul's Fantasy for dinner on Saturday night. That is a recipe from a magnificent tiny mom&pop joint in New Orleans called Ugelsich's. He was closed for the slow season right before Katrina hit, wondering if it was time to move on...and after Katrina, he decided not to reopen. What a shame....the line to get into that place was always around the block.
I'm sure we'll hit the hot tub in the evening.

Sunday I'm making lasagna for my son, and we'll all gather for dinner. I imagine a bike ride is on the docket. It's looking like it could be another hot tub night.

Lou has the day off on Monday, so naturally, I'm taking the day off as well. I"d like to go to the Colombus day parade in the city.

My toes look so pretty!

Our son David called tonight and invited us out to eat tomorrow night at " Iowa's Oldest Bar and Restaurant ". It's in Balltown, Iowa , which is not far from our town. It has quite a history. They have many wonderful stories to tell. Frank and Jesse James stopped in there in 1876.
I am lucky to have a copy of the restaurants cookbook. It has good down home recipes. Really looking forward to tomorrow night. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom