"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-05-2006, 02:08 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Wow, there is some good stuff going on this weekend with all of you. I hope you all enjoy it. GB, I'm sure your wife will really appreciate the painting and what a thoughful thing to do for her.

Vicki, we'll be thinking of you. Sounds like a great way to honor and celebrate your son's life.

Same old here. Rehearsals both days. Saturday is one of the other gals bday, so I'm making a cake to take in and we'll enjoy it after all the long, hard work. I'm hoping to make it to the farmer's market as well.

Old 10-05-2006, 02:25 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Vicki, I'm sorry I missed your post. Sounds like a wonderful way to honor your son's life. Seems like he had good taste in foods too! Your very fortunate to have a cassestte tape of him playing the guitar and singing.

My thoughts will be with you and your family this Saturday.

Old 10-05-2006, 03:32 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Since it's the first weekend of the month, it means that Saturday is "Date Day" for Buck and me. We take the first Saturday of the month to spend together doing something fun. Could be anything from going to yard sales, junking, having lunch at a new or favorite place, going to the movies, whatever.

This Saturday we're going to the movies to see Black Dahlia. I've been wanting to see it and Buck is in love with Scarlett Johansson. We loved her in Girl with the Pearl Earring, which, if you haven't seen it, you should. After the movie we'll probably take the long way home to enjoy some of the colors beginning to happen in the woods. We live about 25 miles from the movie theater, so there'll be plenty of countryside to see. The weather's supposed to be nice, so that will be the icing on the cake.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:42 PM   #24
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
We're painting the den this weekend. Hubby wants to get it done before TC's birthday party in a couple of weeks.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:44 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
It's homecoming for the college my DH went to so I might try to do some cooking for a tailgate party. Other than that I think it will be pretty quiet - except for the football games on TV.

sweet memories VickiQ

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 03:45 PM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
what does mulching do to help a tree? how deep, and what type of mulch is best? what about root or deep watering?
Benefits of Proper Mulching
  • Helps maintain soil moisture. Evaporation is reduced, and the need for watering can be minimized.
  • Helps control weeds. A 2- to 4-inch layer of mulch will reduce the germination and growth of weeds.
  • Mulch serves as nature’s insulating blanket. Mulch keeps soils warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.
  • Many types of mulch can improve soil aeration, structure (aggregation of soil particles), and drainage over time.
  • Some mulches can improve soil fertility.
  • A layer of mulch can inhibit certain plant diseases.
  • Mulching around trees helps facilitate maintenance and can reduce the likelihood of damage from “weed whackers” or the dreaded “lawn mower blight.”
  • Mulch can give planting beds a uniform, well-cared-for look.
Source: http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/mulching.aspx
Old 10-05-2006, 03:46 PM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewsk
We're painting the den this weekend.
I'll probably end up doing that too. We primered it weeks ago, but still need to paint (it's a sage type of color).
Old 10-05-2006, 05:21 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Best wishes this weekend, VickiQ.

Minor misery for me this weekend. Daughter's blowout birthday party is tomorrow night. She's invited 70 of her closest friends to eat junk and listen to music at our community clubhouse. HH and I are the only chaperones.

Then, on Saturday, daughter and I get to go shopping for yet another dress for Homecoming, which is next weekend. I went ahead and purchased the dress she is in love with (that still will not fit her when I make her try it on again Sat. morning). So I will be accompanying an angry resentful girl to the stores to find something that is acceptable AND will fit her. Then on to buy shoes to match the also-ran outfit (if we find one). I am expecting major tears and angst and reduced choices in evening wear. I sooooo hope I am wrong about the last sentence.

So hopefully sometime on Sunday I can do the bills and laundry and maybe even cook something not drab for a change.

We need to do the yard work too. HH is scheduled to share an aerator with the neighbors to poke a bunch of holes in our raggedy lawn to loosen up the soil.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:23 PM   #29
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagriller
I'll probably end up doing that too. We primered it weeks ago, but still need to paint (it's a sage type of color).
Ours will be a taupe color. Now I just need to figure out what colors I want in the rest of the house. I'm sick of white walls!
Old 10-05-2006, 05:36 PM   #30
Sous Chef

heartfelt thanks -pa baker,snoop puss,buckytom,mudbug,kitchenelf,amber and corazon-sure hope I haven't forgotten anyone because your thoughts do mean alot to me.lots of love and energy-Vicki