"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-05-2006, 05:52 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
VickiQ-my thoughts are with you this weekend. Mudbug-I hope you stay sain. My inlaws are coming in tomorrow - we plan to put up some halloween decorations, maybe hit the pumpkin patch, close the pool, watch my 9-year old nephew play *tackle* (ouch) football and maybe hit the mall. We may go look at some kitchen cabinets and granite - if time permits!

Old 10-05-2006, 06:14 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
Best wishes this weekend, VickiQ.

Minor misery for me this weekend. Daughter's blowout birthday party is tomorrow night. She's invited 70 of her closest friends to eat junk and listen to music at our community clubhouse. HH and I are the only chaperones.

Then, on Saturday, daughter and I get to go shopping for yet another dress for Homecoming, which is next weekend. I went ahead and purchased the dress she is in love with (that still will not fit her when I make her try it on again Sat. morning). So I will be accompanying an angry resentful girl to the stores to find something that is acceptable AND will fit her. Then on to buy shoes to match the also-ran outfit (if we find one). I am expecting major tears and angst and reduced choices in evening wear. I sooooo hope I am wrong about the last sentence.

So hopefully sometime on Sunday I can do the bills and laundry and maybe even cook something not drab for a change.

We need to do the yard work too. HH is scheduled to share an aerator with the neighbors to poke a bunch of holes in our raggedy lawn to loosen up the soil.
Oh my mudbug! 70 friends and only you two as chaperones Whats the age group?

Old 10-05-2006, 06:21 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
70 kids of any age! EEEK head ache!!! Good luck Mud!!!
Old 10-05-2006, 06:24 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Amber/pdswife, they are all high school freshmen. I DO have a list of who was invited, to ward off any gate crashers, but I doubt I know half of these "friends." Fortunately, none of them can drive yet, so I expect to meet a bunch of parents I didn't know before Friday.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:55 PM   #35
Senior Cook

We will be celebrating my sons 25th birthday on Sunday. My daughter is cooking. Christian was really 25 on the 3rd, but he works very long hours. We will light a special candle for Jymm, VickyQ, and I will give very special and heartfelt thanks for my strong healthy son.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:57 PM   #36
Sous Chef

mudbug- i'll be sending huge prayers out for ARCHangels to be surrounding your fort!!! 70 teenagers-holy mackerel!

to add insult to injury for this weekend,I returned a little awhile ago from bringing my father to the hospital-his doctor thinks he's having a heart attack.my father and I are not very close but, he rang my doorbell this afternoon and asked me to take him to the emergency room and could he leave his car in my driveway. He was whisked away for bloodwork and all sorts of tests as soon as we arrived,thank God his doctor called ahead of time.I came home and called my siblings.I still don't know any results.My brother is going to take care of things from here on out as I told him that I really wanted to spend this weekend with my kids and he understood perfectly.Here's the kicker- the thing that is smartsing more than I can put into words right now-my oldest sister thinks I should "get over it"-meaning the death of my son.I can forgive her for not knowing what it's like to lose a child- she has never had children so even relating to a parent- child relationship is out of her realm but, it still hurts.
So with all this emotion I came here. I want to ask each of you once more to hug your children a little tighter this weekend- stare at them one second longer and if you only have pets- that will do too but, please,PLEASE spread a little bit of the love and energy I send to you always,Vicki
Old 10-05-2006, 06:58 PM   #37
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen
We will be celebrating my sons 25th birthday on Sunday. My daughter is cooking. Christian was really 25 on the 3rd, but he works very long hours. We will light a special candle for Jymm, VickyQ, and I will give very special and heartfelt thanks for my strong healthy son.
(((Ellen))) I thank you from the bottom of my heart.Love and energy, Vicki
Old 10-05-2006, 09:09 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiQ
mudbug- i'll be sending huge prayers out for ARCHangels to be surrounding your fort!!! 70 teenagers-holy mackerel!

to add insult to injury for this weekend,I returned a little awhile ago from bringing my father to the hospital-his doctor thinks he's having a heart attack.my father and I are not very close but, he rang my doorbell this afternoon and asked me to take him to the emergency room and could he leave his car in my driveway. He was whisked away for bloodwork and all sorts of tests as soon as we arrived,thank God his doctor called ahead of time.I came home and called my siblings.I still don't know any results.My brother is going to take care of things from here on out as I told him that I really wanted to spend this weekend with my kids and he understood perfectly.Here's the kicker- the thing that is smartsing more than I can put into words right now-my oldest sister thinks I should "get over it"-meaning the death of my son.I can forgive her for not knowing what it's like to lose a child- she has never had children so even relating to a parent- child relationship is out of her realm but, it still hurts.
So with all this emotion I came here. I want to ask each of you once more to hug your children a little tighter this weekend- stare at them one second longer and if you only have pets- that will do too but, please,PLEASE spread a little bit of the love and energy I send to you always,Vicki
Vicki, I am so glad you asked your brother to handle things with your dad, you have your hands full right now and need to be with your family. Im sure your brother will call you to keep you updated.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:20 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Even though I have to work tomorrow, I just had my bi-weekly manicure and pedicure...so, officially, the weekend has started.

Tomorrow afternoon is a bit of family gathering of some older relatives on my Mom's side of the family. An aunt and uncle are flying in from CO, and some of us are getting together to say hello. I'm looking forward to that because I haven't seen them for many years.

Later tomorrow night Lou and I, my (ex)husband and his girlfriend, and our daughter will be celebrating our son's 21st birthday. (for the record, I was in labour 21 years ago today..., he was born 3:33am 10/6/85. We may all go to a dance club after that.

Saturday Lou and I will finally get to go apple picking. We're going to a place that is new to us, at BuckyTom's suggestion. Picnicing and mulled wine...
We'll be having Paul's Fantasy for dinner on Saturday night. That is a recipe from a magnificent tiny mom&pop joint in New Orleans called Ugelsich's. He was closed for the slow season right before Katrina hit, wondering if it was time to move on...and after Katrina, he decided not to reopen. What a shame....the line to get into that place was always around the block.
I'm sure we'll hit the hot tub in the evening.

Sunday I'm making lasagna for my son, and we'll all gather for dinner. I imagine a bike ride is on the docket. It's looking like it could be another hot tub night.

Lou has the day off on Monday, so naturally, I'm taking the day off as well. I"d like to go to the Colombus day parade in the city.

My toes look so pretty!
Old 10-05-2006, 09:48 PM   #40
Master Chef

Our son David called tonight and invited us out to eat tomorrow night at " Iowa's Oldest Bar and Restaurant ". It's in Balltown, Iowa , which is not far from our town. It has quite a history. They have many wonderful stories to tell. Frank and Jesse James stopped in there in 1876.
I am lucky to have a copy of the restaurants cookbook. It has good down home recipes. Really looking forward to tomorrow night.