Your weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
joanne l, i'm really curious what's the name of the local high school's sports teams in balltown... (he hee hee. yes i'm immature :) )

seriously tho, is it anyhwere near sample, iowa?

our plans have changed, but are set for the weekend.

yaahd work saturday.

apple and punkin' pickin' sunday. not sure if it'll be in pa. or ny state.

Last edited:
Turkey for us this weekend. Giving thanks for all we have and all we've been blessed with. I'll be saying thanks for all of you here.

[Here's the kicker- the thing that is smartsing more than I can put into words right now-my oldest sister thinks I should "get over it"-meaning the death of my son.I can forgive her for not knowing what it's like to lose a child- she has never had children so even relating to a parent- child relationship is out of her realm but, it still hurts.

Seems like your sister is the one who needs to "get over it." Those who've never had children have no concept of what it is like to, first, hold a child under your heart for 9 months and then love him or her for the rest of their/your life. We have 5 children and have had some near-misses (not of their doing) with two of them. Your heart just stops when you are faced with something that threatens their lives.

Ditto to amber's comments about your brother handling things. You have enough on your plate right now. Take care of yourself. Lots of hugs your way!!!

We are going on vacation to the Smokey Mountains. I am excited. We have a cabin up in the montains in the woods, and I even get to bring my dog.

Buckytom

They wouldn't have much of a team, there are only 73 people living in Balltown.:LOL:
As for Sample Iowa I think you will find it right were you will find Samlpe joisey.:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: JoAnn

rofl joann, can't pull one over on you, huh?

(btw, the joke goes, "where's sample, iowa? near balltown?"
and i respond "umm, i dunno, but there's a sign that says you're in sample"...):huh: :glare:

i know, i'm sorry. :(

seriously tho, my bil, now serving in iraq, is from hudson city, i-o-way.

Well, the big teen blowout turned out OK on Friday night. Only half of those invited showed up (thanks be to Jesus).

Note to other parents - do NOT provide M&Ms as a party snack. They all ended up being ground into the floor after being thrown at each other.

Cleanup note - those wet Swiffer things really work on ground-in M&Ms.

Drinks note - each child will open approximately four cans of pop and take a sip out of each one before abandoning it forever.

Note on "the scene" - Justin Timberlake's latest offering (Se#yback) does not improve upon repetition.

But at least all the kids - including daughter - said they had a great time. That's enough for us.

mudbug said:
Well, the big teen blowout turned out OK on Friday night. Only half of those invited showed up (thanks be to Jesus).

Yes, makes you believe that you might've been forgiven for some of your youthful mayhem. Yep, there is a God.

Note to other parents - do NOT provide M&Ms as a party snack. They all ended up being ground into the floor after being thrown at each other.

Yes, true. At any age, anything that can be used to throw at one another is worth avoiding. When we moved from one of our houses, we were showered with dried peas from atop our tall dining room hutch. Gee, I wonder how they got there?

Cleanup note - those wet Swiffer things really work on ground-in M&Ms.

Drinks note - each child will open approximately four cans of pop and take a sip out of each one before abandoning it forever.

Yep. Been there. Done that.

Note on "the scene" - Justin Timberlake's latest offering (Se#yback) does not improve upon repetition.

Now I know the wisdom of my father saying, "Turn it down or turn it off."

But at least all the kids - including daughter - said they had a great time. That's enough for us.

That was the goal, wasn't it. Congratulations! You get the awesome parent award!!:clap:

Thanks, Katie. We tried. HH was a formidable presence against a bunch of nonsense, and he didn't even need to wear his camo stuff.

We have told one of the "best friends" that her lucky parents get to host the sweet 16 party next year.

mudbug said:
Thanks, Katie. We tried. HH was a formidable presence against a bunch of nonsense, and he didn't even need to wear his camo stuff.

We have told one of the "best friends" that her lucky parents get to host the sweet 16 party next year.
Mudbug, you're still standing:LOL: Great job there mom:) I do remember the disaster a teen party can create, had one for my sister at 16 good heavens, here I was engaged and had to fend off some of her goofy friends and refuse entry to kids that came from other schools..Never again, but, I did when my kids wanted parties, but we sure limited the invites:ROFLMAO: Plus BIG burly police detective neighbor was just the thing to keep things COOL!!!

kadesma

Kadesma, I made daughter type out a list of all the folks she invited. We had a few crashers but not too many.

However, I am thinking if we are solicited to repeat this year's performance in the future that I will indeed enlist some addtional burly types to man the velvet rope.

I'm thinking free plane tickets for Kim (Connie's man), Bucky, Goodweed, and pds's Paul for starters.

mudbug said:
Kadesma, I made daughter type out a list of all the folks she invited. We had a few crashers but not too many.

However, I am thinking if we are solicited to repeat this year's performance in the future that I will indeed enlist some addtional burly types to man the velvet rope.

I'm thinking free plane tickets for Kim (Connie's man), Bucky, Goodweed, and pds's Paul for starters.
I think you just picked out some winners:LOL: I can see it now:ROFLMAO:

kadesma

Painting while sick, what a joy! (Yeah, me weeked, other than watching the Tigers, pretty much sucked!)

John

Mudbug, congratulations for surviving and I ditto you on the m&m's! A couple weekends we had a similar party for my 14 year old DD, and we had several crashers too. I did not put out the m&m's but someone brought them in - argh, now we have to check pockets too!

My weekend was great - we took my little guy to the pumpkin patch - what a treat to see him run around from pumpkins to tractors to horses to haunted forest to a sandbox full of corn! Not to mention: Uh hem - THE BEARS WON AGAIN!

Katie E said:
Since it's the first weekend of the month, it means that Saturday is "Date Day" for Buck and me. We take the first Saturday of the month to spend together doing something fun. Could be anything from going to yard sales, junking, having lunch at a new or favorite place, going to the movies, whatever.

This Saturday we're going to the movies to see Black Dahlia. I've been wanting to see it and Buck is in love with Scarlett Johansson. We loved her in Girl with the Pearl Earring, which, if you haven't seen it, you should. After the movie we'll probably take the long way home to enjoy some of the colors beginning to happen in the woods. We live about 25 miles from the movie theater, so there'll be plenty of countryside to see. The weather's supposed to be nice, so that will be the icing on the cake.

When we checked the newspaper for the show times Saturday morning, we discovered that the movie was no longer playing. Bummer.:mad: We hadn't though of that so we didn't have a plan B. Instead we just stayed home and enjoyed the gorgeous day. The weather was picture-perfect. Buck spent a lot of his afternoon out on our big front porch with the laptop. Our porch is about 35 feet wide and 10 feet deep and we take every opportunity to sit out and enjoy the outside world.

Yesterday was just as lovely, if not better than Saturday. However, a little after 10 last night we ended up calling 911. As you in the U.S. know, this is an election year. My brother is running for judge/executive of our county. The incumbent has been in office for a very long time, but just coasting in the position.

At any rate, we've had an "elect ..." sign in our yard for my brother, Kevin. The sign was stolen last week, so Kevin brought another one Saturday afternoon and put it in a higher part of the yard.

About 10:15 p.m., I went out to give my outside kitties their "night time milkie" and noticed a pickup truck driving very slowly in front of our house. I went to see what was going on and discovered a man jumping out of the truck, sprinting up the front hill, grab the new sign, throw it in the truck and then the truck sped away. I shouted, "I saw you" as they drove away. :angry: That's when I called 911.

An officer came immediately, took my description and went to do his job. I don't know how successful he was as of yet.

Kevin has been having a big problem with his signs being stolen. This is a small community and, from what I saw last night, these thieves were not young kids playing pranks. We'll see what happens.

This kind of stuff just ticks me off. :censored: The U.S. Constitution gives us the right to vote, not the right to steal. I'm formulating a letter to the editor to send to our local papers on the subject.

Sorry about the rant, but it was a crappy end to a very nice weekend.

On a more pleasant note, today's just as nice as yesterday and Buck took the day off, so we'll enjoy it together. He said something yesterday about cookies. Maybe I'll make a batch of chocolate chip cookies later.

Well, it's 8pm, and my weekend is officially wrapping up. (I didn't work today...hehehe)

Friday was a bit of a family reunion. Lou got to meet lots of members of my family and we had a very nice time. I'm so glad I went.

Saturday was apple picking at Weeds Orchards and that was magnificent. I'd love to know how I spent a hundred bucks at a pick-your-own orchard...but my wallet is a heckuva lot lighter and the fridge is filled with about 2 thousand apples...not to mention the pumpkins and gourds and the dozen and a half donuts! That was great.

Lou and I made a nice dinner on saturday night. Boston lettuce tossed with balsamic dressing, sauteed mushrooms, sauteed cranberries and a fried sweet potato patty. We had angle hair pasta with crab and shrimp.

Sunday we celebrated my son's 21st birthday, 10 dinner guests total. We began the meal with stuffed zucchini, then lasagna with bologenese sauce, then chicken cutlets, sausage & peppers and tossed salad. Birthday cake from B&W in Hackensack is always a huge hit. Lou and I got into the hot tub late last night, sipping cognac the whole time. I remember eating 3 petit fours in bed and then falling asleep.

Today we got a nice bike ride in (after I mopped the floors, and returned the good china to the cabinet) and then took a ride to get burgers for lunch.

Lou caught a 4pm train back to Philly.:(

So, now, the coffee pot is set for 5am...and the weekend ends with a whisper.:sleep:

lol, vb. it sounds like you enjoyed weed. umm, orchard. :rolleyes:

i know what you mean about their prices, but it's top quality stuff, and a good and varied selection.

we went on sunday, and had a great day.

we came home with 2 big bags (1/2 bushels each, maybe?) of apples. macs, red deelish, golden deelish, cortland, gala, fuji, and jonah golds.

we had lunch at the barn-stand, and had a few dogs and burgers, fresh cider, huge chocolate dripping brownies, and cinnamon doughnuts.

and we bought a blueberry pie, which was ok, but a peach crumb cake that was outstanding. oh, and 2 big, perfect pumpkins that 2 different people tried to steal out of our wagon near the checkout. both people, well dressed and seemingly "normal" suburbanite parents, tried to pretend they thought it was their's or a friend's wagon. i just barked at them and they scampered off, tails tucked between their legs.

all in all it was a fun day. lol, every time we've been there, the place was practically empty, hence the reason i told you it was so quiet and serene.
when we pulled up, our jaws dropped. i didn't know they were having a festival last weekend. sorry. dw said you were gonna bop me on the head for telling you to go there.
the owners said it was the busiest, most profitable weekend in their history.
so, whaddya think? better than maskers, even with the crowd?
keep it in mind for next summer, for peach, plum, grape, and veggie picking.

When we first pulled up, Bucky, it wasn't all that crowded, but got more congested as the afternoon wore on. Not to worry, we loved it and will surely be back next spring.
When we first walked into the market area, I simply followed the aroma of warm donuts and purchased half a dozen for immediate consumption. I got the same varieties as you, plus winesaps, too. I owe about 4 apple pies this weekend. You deserve one too...thank you so much for the tip:winkiss:

Back
Top Bottom