Your weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tomorrow is our anniversary, so after we get the kids done at softball, band, and football, they are going to stay the weekend with grandma and grandpa and we are going to get in the car and drive. Thought maybe we would head up towards Michigan.

Well, it's Thanksgiving here!!! Saturday is Farmer's Market, work in garden, start the prep. Sunday is Turkey Day, and Monday is leftover Turkey Day! :)

Our plans are somewhat melancholy. Sat.(Oct.7) is the 7th year passing date of my son Jymm.Kiersten is coming home from college for the weekend with he boyfriend.We will all go to the cemetary and decorate his grave for Halloween.Laugh and cry,sharing memories good and bad.Then we will come home and I'll make baked ziti, garlic bread, antipasti salad and chocolate cheese cake for dessert (some of Jymm's favorites) to celebrate his life.We'll play a cassette we have of him playing his guitar and singing,candles will be lit and we'll all wish he could be here physically playing his guitar and singing instead of memorex.Wishing you all lots of happy memory making days this weekend.Love and energy, Vicki

Saturday my wife is bringing out daughter to a birthday party where they will go see an Elmo show (my daughter calls him lala :)) so I will have the house to myself. I think I will surprise DW by painting the downstairs which is going to be the play room. She has been dying to have it painted for a while so that should be a nice surprise for her.

Sunday I am not sure what we are doing, but I hope it involved eating something yummy.

gotta give my 4 year old lab a bath...she stinkin up the house!!

other than that...plenty of beer - bbq - and football!!

ahhh..the life of a single guy! :)

I have yet to go apple picking. Each weekend we wanted to go, something came up. So, I hope we get apples this weekend, and pumpkins. Probably mow the lawn for the last time and then put the mower away for the winter. Going to the dump with hazzardous waste (old monitor, tv, etc.), probably cut back some of my perennials...and the usual stuff like grocery shopping, laundry. Think I'll go buy some Halloween decorations and get the front porch looking festive :)

Saturday- RED RIVER SHOOTOUT (OU/Texas game)

The rest of the weekend, probably watch more football and walk around the city to shoot some pictures. We lost our hard drive which had 5 years worth of pictures in it, so I am going try to reshoot some and start over.

GB, that's a wonderful surprise for your wife! AND, you get to avoid a couple hours of listening to Elmo:rolleyes: :LOL: (I know, I know, I better learn to like him fast)!

Vicki, sending you hugs.

Here, I am hoping that DH is able to keep his promise of taking our daughter for the afternoon one day and letting me clean. I can deal with clutter and dust to a point and then I freak out. And I'm freaking!:rolleyes: Other than that, there's not much planned. If the weather's good and we have time I'd like to go to the botanical gardens. We haven't been there since the summer so I'm anxious to see what all they've planted for the fall. Sofie loves the butterfly house they have there, too.

workin' a double on saturday, then going home and gonna thatch and break the soil under the apple tree (about a 30 foot diameter) and spread some grass seed. also, since it's a pain to try to cut the grass against one side of the foundation of the house, i'm gonna put down a weed barrier and cover it with crushed limestone. a few cu. yds should do it.

not sure about sunday. recent posts have me thinking of a trip to new hope, pa. http://www.experiencebuckscounty.com/new-hope.html
yes, it's in my county. :)

or maybe to an octoberfest, or harvest festival at an orchard. have to read tonight's newspaper.

last sunday was really cool. we went to a huge chusok festival (korean thanksgiving). it was fun, but next year i'm bringing a translator.

New Hope's beautiful this time of year, Bucky. There's always something going on, too. I haven't been there in years, but I love it. Funny, I lived closer to it when I lived in Jersey than I do now in PA!

buckytom said:
workin' a double on saturday, then going home and gonna thatch and break the soil under the apple tree (about a 30 foot diameter) and spread some grass seed. also, since it's a pain to try to cut the grass against one side of the foundation of the house, i'm gonna put down a weed barrier and cover it with crushed limestone. a few cu. yds should do it.

Are you going to put a mulch bed under the tree? It's best for the health of the tree to do that (out to the drip line).

I will be doing yard work too. This weekend I need to replant 2 planter beds that we tore out some large overgrown bushes from. This is a great time to plant, as transplants have all winter to grow new roots and will hold up better when the weather gets hot.

I am in charge of the pedal tractor pull at the Annapolis MO Freedom Fest. We have a little cast iron tractor with a metal sled attached. The kids ride a 50 foot course, and every 10 feet, 2 bricks are set into the sled.

The race is open to 3-6 year olds. Usually, a big 4 year old or little 5 year old wins--the littler ones are not strong enough, and the bigger ones are too long in the leg to get good leverage.

After that, I am going to plant a couple pounds of garlic in the veggie garden, and some flower bulbs in front of the house.

And maybe, just maybe, I will find time to vacuum up some of the dog hair that is windrowing in the corners.

sparrowgrass, that sounds like fun!

pab, we love new hope and lambertville. good food, interesting shopping, some fun stuff to do. one time when we stayed at the lambertville inn, i brought my canoe to go fishing in the morning.
i actually made dw ride upstream in my modified canoe (bench seats replaced with low profile beach chairs, cooler installed in the middle as a footrest, trolling motor mounted on the stern) thru the area, under the bridge. she was terribly embarassed as we passed underneath, at about 1/4 mile per hour. tourists waved to us; i thought it was fun. she laughs about it now every time we go over that bridge.
i'm gonna look into upcoming events. they should have some festivals soon.

vagriller, i wasn't planning on mulching. i was trying to grow grass under the drip line of the tree. you see, it's not your ordinary apple tree. it's huge!

my mil planted it about 50 years ago, and it's never been pruned that much.
it's as tall as the roof of our 2 family house. a little over 2 stories. and like i said, the branch spread is about 30 feet, maybe more. it's really a shade tree for the house now, and while the apples (macintosh-like) are edible, most of them go in the mulch, or get fed to my parrots. they're very big this year, bigger than the store's produce, but are a little lumpy and spotty from bugs. i've eaten a few of the larger and blemish free ones with a knife. slicing the apple prevents getting a little green or crunchy brown surprise.

every day from july to october, i have to go around the yard and pick up apples so no one slips on them, they're like ball bearings. and every once in a while, there's a little issac newton thing going on, especially when squirrels chase each other up the tree. i was stupid to put my son's litter box, er, i mean sand box under the tree. he has to wear a helmet if he wants to play in it now.

j/k. i do have to move the sand box to a safer area soon, tho. :)

i'm going to add top soil to grade the area and cover a few exposed roots, then seed with a shade mix.
i'd like to put a circular bench around the trunk, or a planting bed with stone wall edging, or someting like that.

what does mulching do to help a tree? how deep, and what type of mulch is best? what about root or deep watering?

i'm not much of an arborist. what i plant grows, tree, bush, and shrub-wise so i'm happy with that.
i'm more into growing edible things.

flowers hate me, tho. they just mock me after i spend a lot of time and energy planting them, as they die under the soil...:(

Last edited:
mugsy27 said:
gotta give my 4 year old lab a bath...she stinkin up the house!!

other than that...plenty of beer - bbq - and football!!

ahhh..the life of a single guy! :)

:ROFLMAO: Mugsy, that's exactly what we're doing except we have 2 stinky labs. It's not just 'the life of a single guy!) :-p

Last edited:
Working... Plus listening to some workmen working (upstairs flat has a leak in the bathroom - it's being fixed on Saturday and Sunday). Hey ho.

Plus I'll think of you VickiQ.

reading back, sorry i missed it vickiq.
you and yours will be in our thoughts, and in our hearts this weekend.

I'm not sure what our weekend plans are....

I'm sure they will include yard work though, if the rain stays away.

Back
Top Bottom