YT..is there a scientific answer please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

csalt

Sous Chef
What's the difference between 'sunbeams' and 'dustbeams'
What initially look like lovely sunbeams pouring through the kitchen window turn out to be dust beams!!:ermm:

Although I chase after this dust every day, this beautifiul sunny weather brings sunbeams/dustbeams pouring in and the sun highlights the fact that there is a fine coat of dust just about on everything even though it was dusted the previous day. :mad: Is it static or something?

it`s basicly Photon scattering.

light is composed of Photons, we can`t see light at all unless it hits us dead on in the eyeballs, everything you see unless you look directly at the light source is reflected light.

Dust, being so Tiny and plentifull is Good at doing just this job of reflecting light, smoke is even better (smaller and a greater density per cm^3).

you can`t Actualy SEE a sunbeam unless you look directly AT the Sun (don`t do this), what you DO see is a Contrast, a dark area, and then light being reflected off minute airborn particles (yes even outdoors).

hope that helps a little :)

the Static part, yes there is a certain amount of Energy in these photons from the Sun, (packet energy) and it`s cappable of charging surfaces (photo-electric effect), however this energy when passed though Ordinary glass is reasonably ineffectual, and so wouldn`t have a Significant impact with respect to dust attraction.
it Will make it more noticable.
it Will affect Humidity levels.
it Will create convection currents in the air.

but`s that`s about it :)

off the top of my head anyway.

Thanks YT. I shall print that off otherwise I shall forget your good clear explanation. That was really helpful:)

I'm not complaining about having lovely sun! ( not until it get's too hot!)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom