"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-25-2011, 02:24 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
ThePurpleChef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 39
Zaniest Christmas Story? Tell Meeeeee~! xD

So, I have a funny family Christmas story, and I will share it, but I would also like to hear others! :)

One year (when I was in middleschool) Christmas was coming up. My father and mother had split up maybe a year before, and we moved into our apartment in the summer. I lived with my mom and my twin brother, Steven, and we couldn't afford as much luxury as we used to because of the split-up. So, one day, I'm sitting on the computer, drawing on MS Paint, and listening to music on YouTube, and Steven walks in to ask my mother about Christmas. He asked her for one videogame and she told him she couldn't afford it at the time, so he gets mad and flips out, and then she flips out, and he somehow accidentally knocked over the tree. I looked at my mother, and she was red with rage. She yelled, "YOU WANT A CHRISTMAS?! YOU'LL GET A F***ING CHRISTMAS!!" and she grabs the tree by the base, and starts whipping it around and smacking it against the floor until it fell apart (it was a fake tree and some ornaments broke, but not many, surprisingly). Steven and I watched as she pulverized the tree, and when my mom was done, Steven went to his room angrily. My mom stood there brooding after she half killed the tree, and I looked at her and said, "Mom... Are you done?" and she scowled at me, and went out for a drive, I guess. Then, later, Steven comes back feeling bad, and tries to put the tree back together, and then my mom came home, felt bad, and tried to help him put it back together.

They succeeded!

Afterwards, we talked about what happened, and we found it rather funny. My mom said I was a snarky brat for saying, "Mom... Are you done?" We always tell this story, because it is funny and cute. :)

__________________

__________________
ThePurpleChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,290
My story is about a tree as well. I always loved Christmas. The tree was the high point. My father would go out and pick out the top of the tree (we topped trees--we did not cut down the whole tree) in September. My brother and I would arrive home from university, and off we'd go the next morning to get "the TREE." This was no easy task--one of us would have to climb the tree and top it. This was usually my job and I'm terrified of heights, so having to hold on with one hand and saw (which was tied to my waist and I did drop most years) with the other was always a frightening experience. Then we'd have to tie parachute cords onto the top and drag it about a mile out of the bush through 3 ft of snow, load it on the car, and bring it back to the cabin (where my mother always had Glogg simmering in a pot on the woodstove). The cabin was in the remote area of Lake of the Woods in Canada. The cabin was an A-frame, heated by a woodstove, with an 18 ft ceiling, in the middle of which was a ceiling fan. The challenge was getting a tree with an 8 ft. base, that was 17 ft tall, through the door, and in the stand, without lobbing the top off (we always forgot to turn off the fan until at least one branch was sent sailing through the room). Getting the tree in the stand was difficult--the swearing and cussing on my father's part was unbelievable. Then came the challenge of decorating it. My brother and I would perch on the railing of the loft, armed with x-c ski poles and try to get ornaments on (once we had managed to string the 18 strands of lights). Many a time, the cry "Falling Angel" rang out as an angel tumbled to the ground, my mother's cue to make her best effort to catch the "pass." (The angels went on the top part, followed by the big "stuffed animals" and then the lower level was decorated with the handmade ornaments and other smaller things.) Those Christmases were a lot of fun. But it was the tree--I had always wanted an 18 ft tree...we drove there in terrible weather to be there in time to help cut and decorate the tree. (And, I must confess, I always cut it about 1 foot taller than my brother or dad told me to--I wanted the wings of the Angel that graced the top to touch that 18 ft ceiling). And, we often couldn't leave when the weather would've been better driving because we had to take down the tree.

Those were the best Christmases, once the tree was decorated, it was BEAUTIFUL. We had these huge ornaments for the top because you couldn't see them from the livingroom below. We couldn't leave until the tree was dismantled...we would bring the chainsaw in and cut it on a tarp in the livingroom to get it out of the house...

I could tell you about the year we moved the tree in the split-level house, pre-cabin Christmases, when we moved it from the livingroom, to the garage, to the family room, and spun it around and around with the lights on, but that is another story.
__________________

__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:55 PM   #3
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePurpleChef View Post
So, I have a funny family Christmas story, and I will share it, but I would also like to hear others! :)

One year (when I was in middleschool) Christmas was coming up. My father and mother had split up maybe a year before, and we moved into our apartment in the summer. I lived with my mom and my twin brother, Steven, and we couldn't afford as much luxury as we used to because of the split-up. So, one day, I'm sitting on the computer, drawing on MS Paint, and listening to music on YouTube, and Steven walks in to ask my mother about Christmas. He asked her for one videogame and she told him she couldn't afford it at the time, so he gets mad and flips out, and then she flips out, and he somehow accidentally knocked over the tree. I looked at my mother, and she was red with rage. She yelled, "YOU WANT A CHRISTMAS?! YOU'LL GET A F***ING CHRISTMAS!!" and she grabs the tree by the base, and starts whipping it around and smacking it against the floor until it fell apart (it was a fake tree and some ornaments broke, but not many, surprisingly). Steven and I watched as she pulverized the tree, and when my mom was done, Steven went to his room angrily. My mom stood there brooding after she half killed the tree, and I looked at her and said, "Mom... Are you done?" and she scowled at me, and went out for a drive, I guess. Then, later, Steven comes back feeling bad, and tries to put the tree back together, and then my mom came home, felt bad, and tried to help him put it back together.

They succeeded!

Afterwards, we talked about what happened, and we found it rather funny. My mom said I was a snarky brat for saying, "Mom... Are you done?" We always tell this story, because it is funny and cute. :)
Wow.
I must have missed the funny part.
Maybe it's funny like a clown falling on his butt and getting hurt--everyone else thinks it's funny except the one that is hurt.
__________________
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:01 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,290
My thought was "mom going through menopause..." I have one of those Christmas stories as well...it wasn't funny then, it isn't funny now.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:10 PM   #5
Assistant Cook
 
ThePurpleChef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Wow.
I must have missed the funny part.
Maybe it's funny like a clown falling on his butt and getting hurt--everyone else thinks it's funny except the one that is hurt.
Oh, trust me, at that moment, it wasn't funny. It's just the concept of my mother beating up a tree (she never flipped out like that) and the fact that she and my brother ended up feeling bad and putting it back together, was funny. I was the innocent bystander, lol, and I can tell you that my mother never flipped out like that. Especially on me. I was the good child. :) I still am, lol. My brother was more of a miserable brat around then.
__________________
ThePurpleChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:15 PM   #6
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
My thought was "mom going through menopause..." I have one of those Christmas stories as well...it wasn't funny then, it isn't funny now.
CWS--I was thinking something different. I never find any resolution in a person characterizing another as 'sick' or something wrong with them.What if their circumstances were terrible and no one acknowledges them?

I was thinking, I have a friend, and when he says 'it was funny....'.......I say, 'oh no please not more pain'..
He has said:
...I was in vietnam and it was funny........something about shooting off body parts.....
...During my divorce it was funny.......she took everything....and I lived on $23/month...
...At the court proceedings it was funny.......and I remember nothing for 24 hours I was so upset....
..."it was funny"......isn't always funny.

Funny is funnier when no one gets hurt.
__________________
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:19 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,290
Blissful--I didn't mean that my mom was sick, she was going through a normal phase in life. At the time, it was scary because she wasn't herself, but now I can relate to why she behaved the way she did.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:23 PM   #8
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Blissful--I didn't mean that my mom was sick, she was going through a normal phase in life. At the time, it was scary because she wasn't herself, but now I can relate to why she behaved the way she did.
No I get it, I thought you were referring to the OP's mom......and menopause is a normal phase in life, we agree.........no worries.
__________________
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:27 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
No I get it, I thought you were referring to the OP's mom......and menopause is a normal phase in life, we agree.........no worries.
No--it just brought to mind the memory of my mom in her panty hose and bra screaming in the middle of the living room she didn't have anything to wear to Christmas Eve service...that wasn't my mom. That was someone controlled by raging hormones. Now I get it <g>. And, since people go through menopause at different ages, that outburst the OP describe made me think "menopause."
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:32 PM   #10
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
No--it just brought to mind the memory of my mom in her panty hose and bra screaming in the middle of the living room she didn't have anything to wear to Christmas Eve service...that wasn't my mom. That was someone controlled by raging hormones. Now I get it <g>.
Okay fine then, that brought to mind the night a teenage newspaper delivery boy was a peeping tom at my bedroom window at 2 am when I was 20 and my dad ran outside in his whitey tighty's with his gun. Fathers shouldn't wear whitey tighty's, they should be dressed and it was funny. No animals or delivery personnel were hurt during this incident.
__________________

__________________
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.