"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 08-05-2006, 10:28 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

expat

I don't know about the behind the scenes process for selecting site helpers. One day, GB PM'd me and asked if I'd like to help out.

It's not difficult. You just keep your eyes peeled for the stuff the site does not allow and blow it to smithereens using the highly secret and powerful laser guns provided by Admin.

Old 08-05-2006, 10:32 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
It's not difficult. You just keep your eyes peeled for the stuff the site does not allow and blow it to smithereens using the highly secret and powerful laser guns provided by Admin.
_______
Or Dove will take you to the woodshed.

Old 08-06-2006, 12:39 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Hey isn't Sushi still in there ???
Old 08-06-2006, 09:06 AM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

Hi expatgirl. The history of the site has been summed up well by the others so no need for me to add anything to that.

As for how people become helpers, from time to time MJ, Alix, and myself will see a need to add another person. We will have conversation to decide what we need and who would be a good fit for that role. We try to pick members who have shown their love for the site and who are well respected here. We pick people who have already positively contributed and who want to contribute more than they already have. We try to get people from all over the world so that we have opinions for not just the US and also so that while people in the US are asleep we still have staff members who are awake and online. The administrators will them ask that person if they would like to join the team. If they say yes then we wave our magic wand and give them their powers right away

The staff here spend a good amount of time working on the site, even when you do not see us on the boards. We are often doing research or writing things such as policies or articles for the newsletter or doing other site related things in which we were offline sometimes.

There are a ton of positives to being a staff member and only a few small negatives. The positives, in my opinion, are being able to help this site live up to its full potential. We have been able to watch DC go from a small well run site to a much larger site that just keeps getting better and better. The staff members are the type of people who love to help others in general so there is a satisfaction that comes from that as well.

As for the negatives, well from time to time we do need to make difficult decisions which can be hard. We try our hardest to make sure we always think of what is best for the site when doing this. It can be hard at times though. Another hard thing is occasionally we get people who sign up just to cause trouble. They post horrible things including pictures that no one should ever have to see. Thanks to the swift and diligent work of the helpers, most members never see these things. Our staff is so quick that as soon as these things are posted they have them removed. They work so well that for the most part you never even know they have done their job.

I want to echo what MJ said earlier about Kitchenelf. She is the person who made this site what it is. She had a love for this place that is like a mothers love for her child. She nurtured it, but was also firm in a loving way making sure that this place grew up to be what she had envisioned. If not for kitchenelf DC would be a much different place today. I am honored to know her and have been able to see how she worked and to have learned from the master!
Old 08-06-2006, 10:44 AM   #15
Senior Cook

I wondered why I recognized some names. I, too, used to belong to food network forums. In fact, one of my old culinary instructors at Johnson & Wales, herself a CIA grad, was an original forum meister after she left JWU for Food Network.

Ciao,
Old 08-06-2006, 12:25 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Waaaaaaaaaaay back in the day it was fairly easy for one person to manage - but then the flood gates broke I'm sure I made my enemies but I just wanted to keep this place a friendly place. That's sort of an oxymoron i.e., in order to keep it friendly I had to be firm and stand my ground and I'd say that was the hardest part about being administrator. I had many sleepless nights over this place. I needed someone else to take the blame so I "hired" MJ All kidding aside MJ was my hero. We became fast friends. All the original site helpers became fast friends. It's funny how you can bond with people over the internet. We've been through births and deaths together and everything in between. Some of us have met in person (My husband and I met Dove and her husband in Napa Valley a few years back - they are incredible people).

A link was posted to DC on another site and I took a peek - I answered a couple questions and participated in a few threads and I got a PM that told me to look under my name - well, it said Site Helper and that's how I started LOL.

Life still happens while you're sitting at your computer, dust bunnies multiply, work doesn't get done. I needed to jump back in the game. And besides, I think there was a dead or alive reward fon me LOL

I miss this place terribly. All those "in control" now have done a great job. There's a lot of "behind the scenes" work to do, a lot of discussions about how to proceed with the site, etc. Those that do it do a great job.

The members here are incredible. They give support when it's needed, kindness when it's needed, and a kick in the rear if that's what's needed I've never seen another site on the net like this one.

If we never learn anything else ever we've learned that Sushi likes redheads!

Oh, and I only received one death threat, which I guess is pretty good over a 3-4 year period

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 01:00 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Kitchenelf, I must say, you all have done a masterful job. I too came from another food site that had begun to deteriorate with backbiting, etc. I am very grateful y'all are here for me to interact with.

We do tend to get very close to people on these sites. In December I am going to New Zealand to stay with friends for 6 weeks I've gotten to know via the other site. They are also members of DC now. I am looking forward to getting to know all of you, cooking with you and exchanging info.

Excellent site y'all, great people!
Old 08-06-2006, 03:34 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjcotton
Kitchenelf, I must say, you all have done a masterful job. I too came from another food site that had begun to deteriorate with backbiting, etc. I am very grateful y'all are here for me to interact with.

We do tend to get very close to people on these sites. In December I am going to New Zealand to stay with friends for 6 weeks I've gotten to know via the other site. They are also members of DC now. I am looking forward to getting to know all of you, cooking with you and exchanging info.

Excellent site y'all, great people!
And I'll echo Billy's kind words, because I was in that "other place" too.
I venture into cyberspace to relax, to learn, to share with other food addicts and to have fun. I do not want "aggro", as it's called in England. Hey! This is a virtual world.
However, virtual places have way of getting people together, which is splendid. I've made friends in the USA, in Canada, in Australia, in New Zealand.
When one enters a community, one must also learn the ropes. This has been very, very easy here - I've personally felt very much at home, even though I don't know you all.
Congratulations are in order for a wonderful place to spend one's spare time!
Old 08-06-2006, 04:22 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Chef_Jen Send a message via Yahoo to Chef_Jen
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveb
And I'll echo Billy's kind words, because I was in that "other place" too.
I venture into cyberspace to relax, to learn, to share with other food addicts and to have fun. I do not want "aggro", as it's called in England. Hey! This is a virtual world.
However, virtual places have way of getting people together, which is splendid. I've made friends in the USA, in Canada, in Australia, in New Zealand.
When one enters a community, one must also learn the ropes. This has been very, very easy here - I've personally felt very much at home, even though I don't know you all.
Congratulations are in order for a wonderful place to spend one's spare time!
I echo billy and Clive. its funny how attached you get to places and people and its nice to be able to virtually make friends.

Some of the people ive met in real life and theyve turned out to become some of my best friends. and others that i havent met yet... like ol clive.. well im able to bounce ideas off him and pick his brain which is great!!
Old 08-07-2006, 03:55 PM   #20
Master Chef

I also came in from the Food Network when it shut down a couple of years ago. I've spent most of my life cooking, and my entire adult life I've found myself answering questions in grocery stores. I love this forum (and much more than the TV one, I hated watching those fashion-model-diet ads) and some questions have lead to some very interesting conversations.