"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 08-05-2006, 09:16 PM   #1
Master Chef

A little bit of history

Hi, GB!!

I really would be interested in knowing how this site got started------after being on this forum for a few months it's obvious that there are some real tight social networks out there and it would be interesting to know how you all got started. I mean there are posters with 1000+postings I don't think that there are any other cooking forums out there at the present that are as active and as well-managed as this one. And furthermore how did you, MG, and others get to be site administrators and how long have you been doing it?? Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 08-05-2006, 09:31 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Hi there!. Holy macaroni, it says that I have 4,076 posts! What a blabber mouth! I joined in 7-05-2004. All the old timers know I'm not really into cooking but I'm really into eating. I first came on with a question about my George Forman Grill, and the members here were so warm and nice, I decided to stay. I've learned alot from my fellow DCers and I now have a pretty good collection of recipes and wonderful friends. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Old 08-05-2006, 09:36 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

A lot of us came to DC from the Food Network forums when they closed down almost two years ago. As a result, we have known each other for several years.

The same thing is happening here now with an influx of folks from another forum who are new to DC members who have been here longer but know each other quite well.

I was invited to be a site helper after being around for a while on a regular basis.

Someone else can chime in with the 'ancient' history.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:39 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Wow, I can't believe it's been two years since I have joined DC! I used to go to the foodnetwork chatroom, back in the day They have since removed that part of their website, so I sought other food related sites based on friends I knew from there, and so I ended up here, and love it!
Old 08-05-2006, 09:39 PM   #5
Master Chef

Wow, Wasabi,

I just love your postings-----you're incredible and the wonderful artworks that go wih your postings are fantastic. If I knew how to post an avatar and a quote i would but I don't know how. To go from George Foreman to 4 thousand posts says a lot--thanks for your "historical footnote"!

Any more out there???
Old 08-05-2006, 09:54 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I can best sum it up to, someone had a vision, a grass-roots effort, to start a new site and see what happens. Much of this happened as a result, IMO, because of the failure of foodnetwork and other food forums failures. This site has been very successful for the years it has been up and running, and continues to gain new members everyday at record rates

What I notice on this site is that everyone treats each other with respect. The admin and mods do the best to keep things under control in terms of bashing, trolls, etc. It's the best food forum I have seen. So glad to see many new members too!
Old 08-05-2006, 09:56 PM   #7
Master Chef

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
A lot of us came to DC from the Food Network forums when they closed down almost two years ago. As a result, we have known each other for several years.

The same thing is happening here now with an influx of folks from another forum who are new to DC members who have been here longer but know each other quite well.

I was invited to be a site helper after being around for a while on a regular basis.

Someone else can chime in with the 'ancient' history.
Hi, Andy,

Thanks for posting--not to be nosy but how did you get to be asked???Was an ad posted or what??? Because for the few months that I've been monitoring this site I can really see why you fit the job. But is there a formal poll, induction, application, etc. or did you just get the job by default?? Or did a former site helper just asked you to take over? How long have you been doing it and what are the pros and cons of the job? How much time do you find yourself devoting to this job??? Of course these questions are for anyone else out there as well.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:58 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
I can best sum it up to, someone had a vision, a grass-roots effort, to start a new site and see what happens. Much of this happened as a result, IMO, because of the failure of foodnetwork and other food forums failures. This site has been very successful for the years it has been up and running, and continues to gain new members everyday at record rates

What I notice on this site is that everyone treats each other with respect. The admin and mods do the best to keep things under control in terms of bashing, trolls, etc. It's the best food forum I have seen. So glad to see many new members too!

Dear Amber,

YOu are ever so right on this score--thanks for your answer
Old 08-05-2006, 10:02 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
A guy named Goeff from the UK grabbed a bunch of good domain names, and started this site.

This is how DC looked back in the day

Back then, Kitchenelf was the only site helper here. Kitchenelf is the one who set the friendly tone here a long time ago, and is soley responsible for the great community that thrives here today, IMHO.

She asked me and Barbara L to help out, and from there I dragged GB and Alix and a few others up the ranks with me. Kitchenelf got to busy with her "real life" and moved along, but she is still one of my best friends that I have met here.

I have met SOO many cool people here - to many to list. I am just happy to help out around here.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:17 PM   #10
Master Chef

Gee, thanks, MJ for all the history, I hope that the rest of you don't mind going down memory lane but I think that it's important for the rest of the newcomers to know what's involved in maintaining a site like this and its history---this is a very unique site that should be known about--maybe on a separate thread. I 've been on other sites where people were rude and insulting to each other and no one cared much less monitored it. I think that DC is a very special place because of its moderators and site administrators and I think that it's nice to give you a lot of kudos here and to know how you came about. Also recongnition should be given to the long time posters as well because they are the ones who have kept the site going, too. Thanks to all of you.