"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 07-14-2006, 08:01 PM   #11
Sous Chef

There do seem to be an "old guard" here who know each other very intimately, but they are pretty nice to everyone for the most part. I still avoid some topics that seem to be only for them, but that's going to happen from time to time.

BC

Old 07-14-2006, 08:24 PM   #12
Master Chef

yes, it is a different sort of site. if it weren't for my student portal, wikipedia, etc., i'd scrap this internet. some sites are ridiculous.
due to our mods, we are clean & tidy.

Old 07-14-2006, 09:57 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

I've been on two other forums where some members made them nasty and unpleasant. I left the first one and the second closed.

This site is better by far than the others.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:08 PM   #14
Head Chef

Yes, this is a very "kind and gentle" site, compared to others.

In fact, I am kinda surprised at times by people being offended by what I consider mild language, innocuous opinions, and pretty humorous posts.

Lee
Old 07-14-2006, 10:57 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Wouldn't it be a bit hard to fight on a cooking forum? I mean, a serious fight. We never talk about anything people get offended or defensive about, like on a politics forum or even a movie forum.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:01 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Brain
Wouldn't it be a bit hard to fight on a cooking forum? I mean, a serious fight. We never talk about anything people get offended or defensive about, like on a politics forum or even a movie forum.

Hahaha....you have obviously never met some of my beloved family members. They could fight about who should pass the salt. But seriously, people can get defensive and mean about any topic, so kudos to any site on which such stuff is rare.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:54 PM   #17
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Of course this is the nicest one Mud--After all, you're here.

Barbara
Old 07-15-2006, 05:46 AM   #18
Cook

I don't have expertience with forums in english . This is the only one i visit. I'm not very active, I feel more comfortable in french but i like to read you and have no problems to understand
Old 07-15-2006, 06:08 AM   #19
Head Chef

This is the first forum i have belonged to, hubby belonged to a band forum for The White Stripes and that could get pretty nasty but then again he gives as good as he gets. I joined a pregnancy and baby forum this year and was stunned at how nasty and rude people could be. In my limited experience this is the most caring forum around.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:11 AM   #20
Executive Chef

The Internet provides a great, anonymous place for some people to criticize, be rude, bash, whatever. Also allows for the trolls, the true sickies, to pop in and cause havoc.

I'm a member of a diverse number of forums; from a Shiloh SHepherd one, to a medical transcription one, and a spinal cord injury one. THe only one that is as well moderated as DC is the Shiloh one. The others are full of backbiting, sniping, stabbing, whatever; the reason? Lack of moderation, and very little moderation.

Banana - you'd be surprised at the 'food fights' that can develop over things like technique, whose recipe is 'correct', ingredients, etc.!