"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 07-16-2006, 04:51 PM   #31
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl
Please don't feel this way!! I learned to just keep talking{typing}, and yes, I'm the same way in person after getting over the initial shyness, and then, LOOK OUT!! I can't seem to shut up
You'll start remember things about the ones that are here daily and get just as comfortable as we are .

I also like it here because of the way we can talk to each other and not be afraid of weirdos coming in. We have such a wonderful group of admins that watch out for us all here. I've been to a couple of other places and they're just not nice at all!!
Thanks. I really believe that that slight discomfort I mentioned is just a natural reaction to any existing or established group. I was fortunate to attend the same school system up until college, but I can definitely remember that look on the new kid in class. Same thing. You hit the nail on the head, though. It really is mostly up to the new kid to figure out the way the group works and how best to fit in.

But as to your "I also like it here because of the way we can talk to each other and not be afraid of weirdos coming in," well, um, no promises there.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:23 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCat
There do seem to be an "old guard" here who know each other very intimately, but they are pretty nice to everyone for the most part. I still avoid some topics that seem to be only for them, but that's going to happen from time to time.

BC
please, please do not avoid any topics at all. especially ones for the old guard (is that another nickname for mudbug? lol, just kidding sis... )

seriously, while i really and truely appreciate the friends that i have made here, there's always room for another view, another voice.

also, please do not make the mistake that has doomed so many forums. that is assuming the regular contributors are not interested in a newbie's point of view. i am as willing to share/debate/joke around with all members, new and old alike, even canadians, as i am with the ones that i have become personally connected with.

you won't know you have a friend if you keep yer yap shut. after all, this is a communication device. the more you put into it, the more you'll get out. i promise. (if not, see alix... she underwrites the dc guarantee of friendship)

and to stay on topic and answer the question: yes, this is the best foodie site around. i visit but rarely contribute to other sites, mostly because of time restrictions. but also because i do not feel welcome. not for lack of trying to make friends and inject a little fun, and maybe a few recipes or tips, but a few sites either just ignore you, or even get nasty. a few are full of such snobs that think they only dine in the finest places, and are always greeted personally by the chef. gimme a break. i'd bet they put their pants on one leg at a time.

some of you may know me, and that i'm not exactly a wallflower, so if the nasties are around, they come out early and often.

the regulars at the epicurious chat room actually told me that i didn't fit in because i didn't understand that it is run like a small town bar, and i didn't show enough respect to the locals. small town bar? i guess the term "world wide web" doesn't mean anything to them.

well, they can keep their small town bar, and smaller minds. i'm here to stay.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 06:42 AM   #33
Sous Chef

Anyone who here who has the slightest interaction with you Mr. Buckytom is very glad -"you're here to stay"!!
Old 07-18-2006, 08:00 AM   #34
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
I have to agree that this place is the best. After being on the Food Network boards & the shutting down, I joined a few other cooking sites, DC being one of them, & this is where I stayed. I didn't like the "feel" of the others. DC is like that old pair of jeans that fit just right. I was away from here for a while & when I came back, it was like comming home after being on an extended vacation. Ya know, some things around town had changed & new neighbors moved in but that makes it even better! DC has heart & I think that's because we all put in a little bit of ours to make this place so special.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:55 AM   #35
Senior Cook

Oh ya! This is the friendliest forum without a shadow of doubt! My friend was reading my private messages and was quite surprised to see that the admins actually reply! and that too with smileys!! He said the people on his forum are not at all like that. I'm so proud to be a part of this forum
Old 07-18-2006, 09:37 AM   #36
Sous Chef

Yes this is certainly the nicest forum to belong to.Reeeeeeeeeeeeeely lovely people.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:23 AM   #37
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
It is the poridge Goldylocks woulda picked...just right.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:01 AM   #38
Hospitality Queen

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyQ3
But as to your "I also like it here because of the way we can talk to each other and not be afraid of weirdos coming in," well, um, no promises there.
Oh thank goodness! I thought I was the only one!

BTW, I love when newbies come in! I feel like I am so fortunate that I get to personally welcome each and every one when they first join. I've said to many of them what my sentiments are about this forum:

Discuss Cooking is the family that has daily reuinons.

And I mean that!
Old 07-18-2006, 11:22 AM   #39
Assistant Cook

DC has a policy. The moderators 'friendly but firmly' ensure policy is adhered to (e.g. manners) and lead by example. It is done without much being said, but everybody seems to know that there is 'Law and Order' at DC.

Result is one of the really friendly sites on the web, flame free, welcoming and helpful. There most certainly are a lot of others.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:41 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
please, please do not avoid any topics at all. especially ones for the old guard (is that another nickname for mudbug? lol, just kidding sis... )
**** has frozen over. I have become "the old guard" on the internet, of all places.

For you newbies, buckytom is my cyber younger brother, who I occasionally have to bop over the head (but it is done with love) to keep him in line. He keeps me in stitches, mainly. And he has a poetry about him when he gets going. And he has some good recipes too. We'll get to know you, too - just keep posting and nudge your chair in a little closer to the table (otherwise bucky will steal all the brownies PA and Alix baked!)