"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 09-10-2006, 02:52 PM   #61
Cook

Being a newbie to forums in general, I can honestly say you guys are sweeter than raspberry jam on pound cake. And that comes from someone who's asked a couple of silly (okay, dumb) questions and never gotten a hasty reply. Very professional too.
Fellow DC-er,
Lisa

Old 09-10-2006, 04:33 PM   #62
Head Chef

It is the sweetest - in many others people become either arrogant or very condescending when they feel their own expertise and that does not happen here. Folks here are genuinely helpful and pleasingly nutty!

2 in Or

Old 09-11-2006, 05:58 PM   #63
Cook

Talk about sweet, just look at that avatar! Who doesn't like strawberries?! Gotta get one for me (not sure just what yet).
sweetly yours,
Lisa
Old 09-11-2006, 09:54 PM   #64
DC Grandma

And for any one who doesn't tthink so...the door to my woodshed is always open..Bucky..I've got my eye on you.Dove

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:01 AM   #65
Sous Chef

I posted a couple times earlier in this seemingly unending thread. At the time, I had been a member for only short period of time. Basically, I said that I found it refreshing but mentioned a slight discomfort regarding cliques, which I was quick to say is a part of nature and something that shouldn't dissuade any newcomers.

I hope no one misunderstands what I'm going to say now about this thread: While I understand people's desire to compliment and to express their satisfaction and delight with a place where they feel comfortable, I think we have to be careful about overreaching into any cloying smugness or complacency. Too many voices parroting how wonderful and darn sweet we are and how we all get along and how no conflicts are allowed because we have admins looking out for us can begin to sound can begin to grate a bit. It can also lead one to think that ANY dissension is frowned upon or deleted.

I hope that's not the case because after all, we are adults here. We have varying opinions that just might occasionally lead to -- omigod! -- a disagreement or even an argument. I've seen such threads be closed or even vanish into thin air. I guess I just believe that more freedom, not more control, makes for an even more interesting place.

Just my two cents.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:08 PM   #66
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
suzyQ3 Please take my comments coming from the "other side"

We do not allow member bashing, nor Moderator, nor Administrator bashing. I think everyone is just trying to express how refreshing that is. If posts disappear it is because they took a turn for the worse and were going nowhere and the bashing had already started. We have seen several VERY large bulletin boards closed down because of this. I made a personal vow that this would never happen at DC. The other Administrators of this site also have this same vision. When it does happen it is nipped in the bud. I think the majority of members do not consider the downhill spiral of a thread more interesting. It gets VERY old after awhile when members cannot even make a comment without being belittled. And the belittling usually comes from one or two members who just quite haven't been socialized yet.

Another thing we do is not allow advertising. DiscussCooking is not a free place to advertise. Those posts will also disappear. Some posts are waaaaaaay off topic from the thread and maybe won't even relate to ANYTHING! Those posts are either moved to the right forum or deleted.

The owner of this site has a vision for DC too - I'd like to think he came aboard knowing we would take good care of his site and not let it go down the tubes.

I hope this explanation gives you a different view.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:17 PM   #67
Sous Chef

I appreciate your taking the time to reiterate your view as a site admin. While I understand the presumed reason for such a point of view and policy, I respectfully take exception to it. I guess I always like to err on the side of freedom of expression. It's nice to be nice, but it's more interesting, IMHO, to let people speak freely -- within legal limits and excluding the most egregious possibilities.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:26 PM   #68
Everymom

Suzy, I'm sorry you're unhappy with our policy. I know it grates on folks sometimes. If everyone were willing to be polite in their interactions with others we wouldn't be needed at moderators. We always hope for the best, but we know that on the internet people feel more anonymous and post things they would never say to someones face. Thats why we make sure when you join our community you know that your posts may be edited or removed, its in what you agree to when you become a member. Just human nature.

I have often said to my kids, you don't have to like the rules, but you DO have to obey them.

Again, I'm sorry this makes you unhappy, and I really hope you find a way to enjoy the site in spite of the things you disagree with.

To the rest of you that posted the things that you love about DC, I am so glad that this place is one you like to "hang out" at. I love it here too.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:28 AM   #69
Sous Chef

I belong to two forums, DC and a Fashion forum. I have no recollection of the last time I posted in the fashion forum, but always can't wait to visit DC.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:59 AM   #70
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
This place is the best!!! Why would I come back and bug people each day? :-)