"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements
Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 01:01 PM   #11
Master Chef

Oh, my. I am pretty high up in ranking here, wonder if should start charging for any of my advises.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:05 PM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I have never even paid attention to what I was called.
That is probably for the best Charlie

Old 04-26-2010, 01:13 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

My feathers are not quite as ruffled as some of you may think. My point was more -why use the term certified? Use master Chef or Executive Chef to have the fun you are seeking and if you truly are certified, use that.

I will continue to watch with interest your continued comments and jabs toward me with a grain of salt. I can certainly take it.

It’s great that you created a fun, happy group here. If my suggestion erodes that atmosphere, by all means ignore it.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:20 PM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

I think the issue, at least for me, was that your very first post here was of a tone of "hey you guys are doing it wrong and don't deserve this title" instead of making an into post (as most people do, but it certainly is not required) and getting to know the people and the site first before pointing out what you don't like about it. Just my 2 cents. it was not your suggestion that eroded the atmosphere. It was that you did not take the time to get to know us or the site before telling us that we were acting inappropriately. It would be like if someone you had never met came into your home and before even saying hi told you that your color scheme was all wrong.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:37 PM   #15
Flour Child

I think Heffey has acted quite gentlemanly really considering how it must seem to a newbie just entering in.....and offers food for thought. Is it possible to just drop the word "certified"?

James S has a good suggestion...I don't know what "French Brigade de Cuisine" is but sure SOUNDS good...anything sounds good with a french accent

I checked the userCP and there is no option to pick your own title. Does that priviledge come later after a certain number of posts? I think vbulletin does offer that in their software. Just a thought :)

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:43 PM   #16
Senior Cook

The Brigade de Cuisine is the hierarchy in a traditional French kitchen. I imagine the newbies might object to being called commis (pronounced commie) though.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:48 PM   #17
Flour Child

I never thought there was anything that a french accent couldn't fix...but that would be one for sure

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:50 PM   #18
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I recommend leaving things just as they are. This site has been operating successfully for quite a number of years (long before I found it), and it's not broken.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:58 PM   #19
Chief Eating Officer

There is no option turned on that lets people pick their own title. From time to time there are contests (I think there is one now to name Franks Kitchenaid) in which the winner can pick what they like. Normally though that is not something the member can change.

The problem with using the Brigade de Cuisine is that it is not very accessible to most people. If you think people get confused now when they see Senior Cook next to their name how do you think they would feel with Chef de partie next to their name?

When we created these titles we looked at a number of different options (some having nothing to do with food). We chose to stick with what we have because it was something everyone could relate to without having any knowledge of actual cooking or food. One thing to keep in mind is that this site is for novice as well as professional so we needed something everyone could understand, not just those who received a formal education in food.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:11 PM   #20
Head Chef

I didn't understand the designations at first... didn't like being automatically labeled, given a title without my consent; was baffled how some members were able to change theirs to their liking, intimidated by those who were deemed "certified", and thought of it as web-clutter since our post-counts are numerically identified. I was more interested in quality of discussion and information rather than quantity, an active and engaging social site that is both serious and playful. I'm not the biggest fan of the vBulletin platform, but gave DC a try...

Now, it doesn't bother me. Because I intend to win FrankZ's "Name my KitchenAid Contest" and I know that CharlieD is just one of DC's several "certifiable" cooking enthusiasts.