Are we stepping on the ACF's toes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you. ;)

For some, receiving a kind word means much more than any title or certification.

It might be easier if you lose the grass skirt, 'Your Hokyness'.

Its as intimidating as a kilt on a blue painted Scott. What else would be intimidating to men who wear embroidered dresses?

And before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, I was born, raised and abused a Catholic so I have every right.

Last edited:
Its as intimidating as a kilt on a blue painted Scott. What else would be intimidating to men who wear embroidered dresses?

And before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, I was born, raised and abused a Catholic so I have every right.

You have my support. Go get 'em.

Just curious...Did you expect to win friends with that attitude? Well obviously you would enter as an orderly :wacko:

I think I actually did win a few friends and I’m glad I did. I don’t know why everyone seems so shocked by a chef acting like a self-righteous a** hole.

Come on people, I come by it honestly!

I'll bite...

OK, I'll play the newbie and bite:

It seems from the postings that the character titles used by posters somehow match some school's (not a slight) titles. Can someone explain? I' m not baiting here, but I don't see how some school can lay claim to those things. I'm an engineer and for me some states require I pass a test to call myself an engineer, some don't. But no school can claim the title engineer, they only train them.:D

I always thought those titles were somehow was related to the type of work they do in a kitchen. So maybe for the rest of the newbies some one could school us:question:

Hey Westfallgj, the titles correspond with your post count. The more posts you make the "higher" in the cooking echelon you go. You progress from Assistant, to Sous, through the ranks to Master and Executive. Its just a fun way of indicating whos been on the site the longest and who has posted a bunch. Does that explain it well enough?

Hey Westfallgj, the titles correspond with your post count. The more posts you make the "higher" in the cooking echelon you go. You progress from Assistant, to Sous, through the ranks to Master and Executive. Its just a fun way of indicating whos been on the site the longest and who has posted a bunch. Does that explain it well enough?

Thanks, but no, I was talking about the poster saying we were stepping on people's toes. The post count I get, but what is the other end he was taking about? What are the titles from the school and what do they mean?

I believe his issue was with the word CERTIFIED. Apparently the ACF (American Culinary Federation) certifies chefs. The OP thought they might be upset if they saw the way we were using the titles.

I received my certification from a different organization, the GPF, the Great Pretenders Foundation. A non-profic organization founded by the Platters. Wanna hear our school song?

i doubt anyone remembers, but this topic was discussed when the titles thing was first introduced many years ago. a few people thought we were being pretentious with the titles, or that it might be an offense to some blowhard chefs; others suggested we use sillier names. in the end, no one really cared after it was implemented.

it's taken a long time for it to become a matter to discuss again.

i the past 5 or 6 years, however, i've been asked culinary questions a few times because the other person thought i was really a certified chef. i had to explain the reason for the titles, which seemed to disappoint them.

so, does it matter? of course not. i know lots of people who have earned lots of titles (engineers love that stuff), but what truely matters is what they can contribute. not what they write after their name.

so, what say you, heffey? what do you have to add to our collective to earn the respect you may actually deserve.

Evidently, I need to post, post, post my way to a C.M.C.

The ACF's test to be a CMC is a 10 day process (no days off) from 9am to 9 pm and consist of written and practical tests, defending your masterpiece (thesis equivalent) and participating in a number of different market baskets (iron chef type activity). It is a really hard test and you need to put in around 25k dollars just to take it. Only about 45% of the people pass, that is why there are so few CMC's around (in 1994, there was only 35 in the US). THE CEC test is nowhere near as hard but still is a long process with a lot of sacrifice required. That is deserving of a modicum of respect, don’t you think?

That is deserving of a modicum of respect, don’t you think?
It absolutely deserves respect. I do not think anyone here would argue that it does not. Most here would also likely say that we are showing no disrespect by using the title in the way we have.

By the same token, CMC's are not the only people who deserve a modicum of respect. And to take it a step further, there are those who would feel that making a first post purposely arrogant and indignant is not terribly respectful.

. That is deserving of a modicum of respect, don’t you think?

maybe i should have put it in foodie terms, so your extensive accomplishments can be worth their 25k.

i hope you'd agree when judging your peers, it's what you bring to the table, not what you think of yourself as a chef that matters. in this case, what's brought to the proverbial table are your posts, be it recipes, or helpful tips and techniques, or just a joke or two.

it's certainly understandable that you are proud of what you say you've done in your life. but pride goeth before the fall. apparently, it only begins to matter in late summer, so i'm not sure i get that... :D

ok, so, you've gotten plenty of attention. now let's see what you've got besides pride in yourself. anything for the rest of us?

eta: actually, what i find just as prideful are the responses that infer that we're wasting our time discussing this. in a way, we're paying the op respect by giving our opinions. why post that it's beneath you to give someone your opinion when asked? that's disrespectful.

I see a lot of folks with Certified Executive Chef and Certified Master Chef after their names and wonder if they are legitimately certified through the American Culinary Federation. If they’re not, isn't that disrespectful of those who worked hard and sacrificed much while earning that distinction?

What was disrespectful from my first post? I didn't start getting arrogant until post #5 after you dismissed my request with a bit of arrogance of your own.

I’m sorry this subject is being drug out for 5,6 or more pages but just feel compelled to stand my ground. It is kinda fun for me actually which I guess is the whole point of this site.

What was disrespectful from my first post? I didn't start getting arrogant until post #5 after you dismissed my request with a bit of arrogance of your own.

I’m sorry this subject is being drug out for 5,6 or more pages but just feel compelled to stand my ground. It is kinda fun for me actually which I guess is the whole point of this site.

I am confused as to whom you are referring. You quoted yourself and post #5 that you mentioned is your own post as well.

In any event, it was you who said you admit that when tyou entered with this subject you did so with some arrogance and indignation and meant to. That is what I personally find disrespectful.

I think I actually did win a few friends and I’m glad I did. I don’t know why everyone seems so shocked by a chef acting like a self-righteous a** hole.

Come on people, I come by it honestly!

Ok, you got me there. AND I feel you are trying to be understanding. Lets lighten up this thread folks. Don't make me pull this forum over to the side of the road. You are NOT to big for me to spank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom