"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements
Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 12:19 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

i doubt anyone remembers, but this topic was discussed when the titles thing was first introduced many years ago. a few people thought we were being pretentious with the titles, or that it might be an offense to some blowhard chefs; others suggested we use sillier names. in the end, no one really cared after it was implemented.

it's taken a long time for it to become a matter to discuss again.

i the past 5 or 6 years, however, i've been asked culinary questions a few times because the other person thought i was really a certified chef. i had to explain the reason for the titles, which seemed to disappoint them.

so, does it matter? of course not. i know lots of people who have earned lots of titles (engineers love that stuff), but what truely matters is what they can contribute. not what they write after their name.

so, what say you, heffey? what do you have to add to our collective to earn the respect you may actually deserve.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:38 PM   #52
Assistant Cook

Evidently, I need to post, post, post my way to a C.M.C.

The ACF's test to be a CMC is a 10 day process (no days off) from 9am to 9 pm and consist of written and practical tests, defending your masterpiece (thesis equivalent) and participating in a number of different market baskets (iron chef type activity). It is a really hard test and you need to put in around 25k dollars just to take it. Only about 45% of the people pass, that is why there are so few CMC's around (in 1994, there was only 35 in the US). THE CEC test is nowhere near as hard but still is a long process with a lot of sacrifice required. That is deserving of a modicum of respect, don’t you think?

Old 04-27-2010, 01:03 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
I can't believe there are 5 pages devoted to this already - LOL!!!
ditto , what breezy said, really, really, silly
Old 04-27-2010, 01:11 PM   #54
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heffey de Chefey View Post
That is deserving of a modicum of respect, donít you think?
It absolutely deserves respect. I do not think anyone here would argue that it does not. Most here would also likely say that we are showing no disrespect by using the title in the way we have.

By the same token, CMC's are not the only people who deserve a modicum of respect. And to take it a step further, there are those who would feel that making a first post purposely arrogant and indignant is not terribly respectful.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:53 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
. That is deserving of a modicum of respect, don’t you think?
maybe i should have put it in foodie terms, so your extensive accomplishments can be worth their 25k.

i hope you'd agree when judging your peers, it's what you bring to the table, not what you think of yourself as a chef that matters. in this case, what's brought to the proverbial table are your posts, be it recipes, or helpful tips and techniques, or just a joke or two.

it's certainly understandable that you are proud of what you say you've done in your life. but pride goeth before the fall. apparently, it only begins to matter in late summer, so i'm not sure i get that...

ok, so, you've gotten plenty of attention. now let's see what you've got besides pride in yourself. anything for the rest of us?

eta: actually, what i find just as prideful are the responses that infer that we're wasting our time discussing this. in a way, we're paying the op respect by giving our opinions. why post that it's beneath you to give someone your opinion when asked? that's disrespectful.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #56
Assistant Cook

Quote:
I see a lot of folks with Certified Executive Chef and Certified Master Chef after their names and wonder if they are legitimately certified through the American Culinary Federation. If theyíre not, isn't that disrespectful of those who worked hard and sacrificed much while earning that distinction?
What was disrespectful from my first post? I didn't start getting arrogant until post #5 after you dismissed my request with a bit of arrogance of your own.

Iím sorry this subject is being drug out for 5,6 or more pages but just feel compelled to stand my ground. It is kinda fun for me actually which I guess is the whole point of this site.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:03 PM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

so all you have to offer is a discussion about you?

how interesting.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:05 PM   #58
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
What was disrespectful from my first post? I didn't start getting arrogant until post #5 after you dismissed my request with a bit of arrogance of your own.

Iím sorry this subject is being drug out for 5,6 or more pages but just feel compelled to stand my ground. It is kinda fun for me actually which I guess is the whole point of this site.
I am confused as to whom you are referring. You quoted yourself and post #5 that you mentioned is your own post as well.

In any event, it was you who said you admit that when tyou entered with this subject you did so with some arrogance and indignation and meant to. That is what I personally find disrespectful.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:12 PM   #59
Mr. Greenjeans

Quote:
I think I actually did win a few friends and Iím glad I did. I donít know why everyone seems so shocked by a chef acting like a self-righteous a** hole.

Come on people, I come by it honestly!
Ok, you got me there. AND I feel you are trying to be understanding. Lets lighten up this thread folks. Don't make me pull this forum over to the side of the road. You are NOT to big for me to spank.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:14 PM   #60
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy3k View Post
You are NOT to big for me to spank.
A spanking and your new title is the Pope. OK I had really better shut my mouth now

Closed Thread