"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements
Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 08:36 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Are we stepping on the ACF's toes?

I see a lot of folks with Certified Executive Chef and Certified Master Chef after their names and wonder if they are legitimately certified through the American Culinary Federation. If they’re not, isn't that disrespectful of those who worked hard and sacrificed much while earning that distinction?

Old 04-26-2010, 08:43 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

Those titles are based on post counts. It is a good humored on topic sort of way to see who is new to the site and who is not. No disrespect intended.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:18 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

I would urg you to modify the lables now that you are aware that these two are inappropriate.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

I am not aware they are inappropriate. I think the labels are great actually. No one is claiming to be anything they are not. It is all in fun. Lighten up a little and enjoy life.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:30 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

I guess it is only inappropriate to those of us who have earned it and understand what being in the brotherhood is all about. I’m sorry I demonstrated a contrary view and disturbed play time.

I will take your advice and ease up on the subject.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:34 PM   #6
Everymom

Heffey, I just sent you a PM.

We're sorry you feel our titles are inappropriate. We have several chefs who post here and have done so for years who see nothing inappropriate in the titles.

Hope you can change your perspective a bit and enjoy things here. This looks like a bit of a bumpy start. We didn't mean to offend you, and I'm sure you don't mean to offend anyone with your "play time" comments either.

Shall we all try to start over?

Welcome to DC Heffey, it sounds like you have a lot to offer. Hope you enjoy meeting new people here.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:38 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

There are others here who have earned the title and are not offended by it. I am not sure how many forums you frequent, but this is a pretty normal thing for forums to do. A sailing forum may distinguish post count by calling people who few posts a deckhand while calling people with 1,000 post Captain. A political forum may call people with 5 posts intern while calling other posters President or Emperor. A music forum may call someone with few posts Millie Vanilli while calling someone who lots of posts The Beatles. It is just a way to have fun while giving out some useful information.

Sarcasm is often times hard to read online without the benefit of voice and physical expression so I do not know if you were being sarcastic when you said you were sorry you demonstrated a contrary view and disturbed playtime. To me, it sounds like you are getting a little worked up over something that is trivial, but maybe I just read you wrong.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:54 PM   #8
Flour Child

Hi there Heffey de Chefey...nice to meet you.

Said with tongue-in-cheek: I take it you don't believe people should dress up as someone else for Halloween? ...and were ticked off when you found out some average Joe was acting as Santa? ...and, all those actors and actresses in Hollywood ...Just teasin' you Heffey de Chefey

Actually, I somewhat agree with you to a point...for newbies it's very confusing indeed....especially for those drifting through and not staying around long enough to figure it out. When I first came I didn't think your thoughts but I did experience a temporary blow to my self-esteem with all the "certified chefs" around ...then i caught on. I find everyone to be quite humble and friendly. Stick around. I love your name!

I think there is an option in the UserCP to change your title to your own choice at some point.
I'll probably change mine to "Winner of The Milk Debate"...haha, Al

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:53 PM   #9
Senior Cook

I often wondered if that was likely to ruffle any feathers.

It might have been better to use the traditional French Brigade de Cuisine, which is a lot more generic instead.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:00 PM   #10
Master Chef

You know it is actually so funny to me, because in all honesty I have never even paid attention to what I was called. I visit few other forums and they also call people names (I'm joking) and on cigar forum it was something really bad, but really funny.
have to check what I'm called on this forum, will do it after I post here.