Banner Bar on bottom of screen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting. I also use Firefox (18.0) with ABP and NEVER see an ad/banner.

Maybe because I have a Mac or maybe because our settings for blocking are different.

Katie,

Try logging out then dumping your browser cache. Close the browser once you do (all sessions) and then restart it and log back in.

You WILL get that banner if you are not logged in.

I've got Windows 7 with the current Firefox and AdBlock Plus. I just tried logging off and back on. The banner appeared on my sign on screen, but disappeared as soon as I went to the new posts.

I realize I've seen it before, in the same place. The last time I saw it, I closed it with the X, but never have had it stay. Could it be Java? I keep it up to date.

Could it could be that another add on or plug in is interfering with ABP's efficiency?

Last edited:
Interesting. I also use Firefox (18.0) with ABP and NEVER see an ad/banner.

Maybe because I have a Mac or maybe because our settings for blocking are different.

I'm on a Mac too! Sounds like we have the same danged system. Maybe I missed an upgrade? I'll go check. The freaking thing is gone now though. Thank goodness.

Use AdBlock Lite, not AdBlock Plus. Huge difference. ABP recently started allowing certain ads due to website owners complaining about lost revenue. ABL does no such thing and blocks ALL ads. Just sayin'. Sorry Chrome folks, they don't make it for you guys.
While we're at it, I recommend Ghostery, BetterPrivacy, and NoScript in addition to AdBlock Lite. Though fair warning, NoScript does have a learning curve to use properly and if you aren't using it correctly, a good portion of most websites will be totally non-functional. And if you're running Ghostery and AdBlock you'll have to configure them so they don't step on each others' toes trying to block the same content. But on the flip side, I'm enjoying a 100% ad-free, spam-free, tracker-free and SAFE internet and it goes oh-so-much faster.

Last edited:
I appreciate ABP allowing some ads through. They are supposed to meet certain requirement and the Internet is not free. Sites like this are expensive to maintain and ads help generate the revenue to keep us up and running.

I'd rather my pages load faster without ads and trackers. Ads track your internet use. I'm extremely paranoid about my internet use being tracked and I do a lot to make it difficult for my internet use to be tracked by anyone but my ISP. And even then I use Tor a bunch to obfuscate that aspect as well.

Back
Top Bottom