"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 01-18-2013, 11:48 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I'm using AdBlock Plus and the banner still pops up. When I disable Java, I can't use smilies here and I can't execute some of the functions on Facebook. Ugh!

Old 01-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #22
Certified Pretend Chef

Interesting. I also use Firefox (18.0) with ABP and NEVER see an ad/banner.

Maybe because I have a Mac or maybe because our settings for blocking are different.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #23
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Katie,

Try logging out then dumping your browser cache. Close the browser once you do (all sessions) and then restart it and log back in.

You WILL get that banner if you are not logged in.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I've got Windows 7 with the current Firefox and AdBlock Plus. I just tried logging off and back on. The banner appeared on my sign on screen, but disappeared as soon as I went to the new posts.

I realize I've seen it before, in the same place. The last time I saw it, I closed it with the X, but never have had it stay. Could it be Java? I keep it up to date.

Could it could be that another add on or plug in is interfering with ABP's efficiency?

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #25
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Interesting. I also use Firefox (18.0) with ABP and NEVER see an ad/banner.

Maybe because I have a Mac or maybe because our settings for blocking are different.
I'm on a Mac too! Sounds like we have the same danged system. Maybe I missed an upgrade? I'll go check. The freaking thing is gone now though. Thank goodness.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #26
Sous Chef

Use AdBlock Lite, not AdBlock Plus. Huge difference. ABP recently started allowing certain ads due to website owners complaining about lost revenue. ABL does no such thing and blocks ALL ads. Just sayin'. Sorry Chrome folks, they don't make it for you guys.
While we're at it, I recommend Ghostery, BetterPrivacy, and NoScript in addition to AdBlock Lite. Though fair warning, NoScript does have a learning curve to use properly and if you aren't using it correctly, a good portion of most websites will be totally non-functional. And if you're running Ghostery and AdBlock you'll have to configure them so they don't step on each others' toes trying to block the same content. But on the flip side, I'm enjoying a 100% ad-free, spam-free, tracker-free and SAFE internet and it goes oh-so-much faster.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #27
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I appreciate ABP allowing some ads through. They are supposed to meet certain requirement and the Internet is not free. Sites like this are expensive to maintain and ads help generate the revenue to keep us up and running.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #28
Sous Chef

I'd rather my pages load faster without ads and trackers. Ads track your internet use. I'm extremely paranoid about my internet use being tracked and I do a lot to make it difficult for my internet use to be tracked by anyone but my ISP. And even then I use Tor a bunch to obfuscate that aspect as well.