"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 05-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #11
Everymom

Is IE the only browser you have downloaded? I'd try Firefox or Google Chrome if you can.

If all else fails, do you know how to disconnect the power to your modem and router? Unplug both for a full minute then plug the modem in first, then when all the lights are active except the router light, plug in the router and try again. That should reset your IP address if all else has failed you. If THAT doesn't work, its time to call your provider.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Is IE the only browser you have downloaded? I'd try Firefox or Google Chrome if you can.

If all else fails, do you know how to disconnect the power to your modem and router? Unplug both for a full minute then plug the modem in first, then when all the lights are active except the router light, plug in the router and try again. That should reset your IP address if all else has failed you. If THAT doesn't work, its time to call your provider.
Wow. Unplug the modem. What a high tech solution! When I clicked "repair connection" earlier it said it was unable to renew the IP address. I didn't realize resetting the modem would reset the IP address. Cool! Thank you!!

Old 05-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #13
Everymom

Good luck! Hope it helps.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:43 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

YAY!!!
Old 05-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Did unplugging the modem work?
Old 05-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Ha ha yes ::rolls eyes:: Can't believe I didn't do that just out of principle. I was thinking since it showed there was a connection my computer was the problem. Thanks again!
Old 05-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I can't tell you how many times I have had to call Son #1 with a problem and he will ask in a condescending voice, "Did you shut off the modem?"

"No, I forgot."

Today he spent three hours cleaning up my computer from all the stupid things I have done. Every so often he would look over at me and just shake his head. What would I do without him.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie
I can't tell you how many times I have had to call Son #1 with a problem and he will ask in a condescending voice, "Did you shut off the modem?"

"No, I forgot."

Today he spent three hours cleaning up my computer from all the stupid things I have done. Every so often he would look over at me and just shake his head. What would I do without him.
I stay off my bf's computer for that reason lol. He's from the stone age. (of course I would have used it anyway, but he took it, and my mini laptop with him on his trip. Had to break out my trusty ten year old Sony Vaio lol) I asked him one time, "Don't you ever defrag this thing??" He didn't know what defrag meant lol.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #19
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
I stay off my bf's computer for that reason lol. He's from the stone age. (of course I would have used it anyway, but he took it, and my mini laptop with him on his trip. Had to break out my trusty ten year old Sony Vaio lol) I asked him one time, "Don't you ever defrag this thing??" He didn't know what defrag meant lol.
And with most modern operating systems you rarely, if ever, need to defrag.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ

And with most modern operating systems you rarely, if ever, need to defrag.
We both have xp. I would say with xp it's a good idea to do it more than every 3 years (which is how old his computer is)