Chat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PastaKing

Senior Cook
I have been "surfing" the net. I say it that way, because until this forum, I never talked online. I would google and such, but never a forum website. I have seen that other forums have a chat room in them. I think something like that would go over big here.:)

We have talked about a chat room before and I don't know, at this time, if that is an option. We would need someone moderating it and this also may be a program that needs to be purchased.

I use MSN for chat.

We have talked about a chat room before and I don't know, at this time, if that is an option. We would need someone moderating it and this also may be a program that needs to be purchased.

I use MSN for chat.

I would be happy to moderate it for you:)
I'll look into what it would cost today. I'll get back to you. If it isn't out of my budget, I'll buy it myself. I stress: IF IT IS NOT OUT OF MY BUDGET. I have a family and kids along with a wife. How to explain that I am buying a chat program for a website, might not be easy.

You might have to buy it for your site, but I will be more then happy to moderate it for you.:)

Money and mods are not the only reasons we have not gone this route yet. There are some other logistical reasons why it might not make sense here. The mods and admins will continue to discuss it though and see if it will fit in here.

It could come in handy when someone has a recipe emergency ... "OMG, my entire family is coming over and the cap came off the salt shaker! WHAT DO I DO!?!?!?!?!?!?!!??!?!"

;)

It could come in handy when someone has a recipe emergency ... "OMG, my entire family is coming over and the cap came off the salt shaker! WHAT DO I DO!?!?!?!?!?!?!!??!?!"

Throw it over your shoulder? ;)

;)

You joke, but you might be right. Last night I was making cooked marinated mushrooms. I went to the store but could only find Red Wine Vinaigrette. My RC called for White. I wasn't sure if I could use Red, or if I had to make my own White. I called a friend of mine who owns a restaurant and he said I could use Red. If I could not get a hold of him, yes, I would have been on here with such an emergency.

You joke, but you might be right. Last night I was making cooked marinated mushrooms. I went to the store but could only find Red Wine Vinaigrette. My RC called for White. I wasn't sure if I could use Red, or if I had to make my own White. I called a friend of mine who owns a restaurant and he said I could use Red. If I could not get a hold of him, yes, I would have been on here with such an emergency.

OK, question.
How does chat differ from just posting?
Couldn't you have gotten your answer just as fast by just asking in a post?
I am someone obviously oblivious to chat. :(

OK, question.
How does chat differ from just posting?
Couldn't you have gotten your answer just as fast by just asking in a post?
I am someone obviously oblivious to chat. :(

No. With a chat it would be instant. A post might take a few hours.

Why?
This exchange between us didn't take a few hours.
Why is chat more instantaneous? Does it bypass server glitches that might hold up a post?

If you guys don't want a chat on your site that's cool with me.
It was just an idea. :)

Why?
This exchange between us didn't take a few hours.
Why is chat more instantaneous? Does it bypass server glitches that might hold up a post?

Pacanis, chat is a synchronous method of communication, like a telephone - you ask a question and someone is already there who might have an answer. The forums don't necessarily notify someone that a question has been asked *right now* that needs a quick answer. It might take a few minutes, or a half hour, or longer, for someone who has an answer to view a question in a forum, where it happens right away in chat. That's assuming that the chat method would notify whoever might be logged in to DC that someone is requesting a chat. HTH.

Actually, unless it has been deactivated, we do have "chat" available. I'll have to defer to GB for the final word on this ... I just know what we used to have.

We have/had an "opt-in" program ... if you want to be "instant chatted" you can sign up for it ... but it is not a function of our site per se - we just provide a bridge to it.

Click on "User CP" at the top of the page, then click on "Edit Profile" - then scroll down to "Instant Messaging" - enter your information for "ICQ, MSN Messenger, Skype, AIM and/or YAHOO Messenger". Then, if you are online here, and a;so logged onto the messigning service - someone else with the same messaging service can IM you ....

This has been around for several years - and hasn't been too popular.

Some users don't even want other users to know when they are online in the forum format!

Last edited:
if you need a chat server that`s no problem at all, and won`t cost a penny, nor will the Bots to have it hosted complete with a Censorship routine that replaces any Choice language or word with < Censored >

I`v been with them for about 5 years now (In a Science Room), it would be No problem to get you a DC room or whatever you wanted to call it.

let me know and I`l have a chat with one of the IRCOPs (Admin).

Back
Top Bottom