Clarifying the ALL CAPS issue in another thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"But to be honest i wish we were learning solely grammar :-p. In fact i think it is ridiculous how we're made to learn about the strangest things in English"

Grammar is is but a tool, my young friend. It's only the means to an elegant end. And its rules, though beautiful, can't approach the magnificence of perfectly articulated literature, both poetry and prose.

Now, add two eggs and a cup of a flour. See, we're back on topic.:LOL:

i've wondered if anyone finds it annoying that i don't capitalize properly?
on another cooking site, i was scolded by an old timer for not taking the time, thereby showing disrespect to the other members by not capitalizing. i couldn't argue much as i was a newbie, and i also repected the old guy's opinions on most things.[quote}

Actually, bucky, it doesn't annoy me. I find it fascinating how everyone expresses him- or herself. I have a background in English/grammar, etc., and am a writer as well, so one of my most maddening (to me) occupational hazards is my built-in radar for proper punctuation, spelling, grammar and all attendant writing "rules." I've also worked as a proofreader/copy editor for a newspaper, which further complicates my condition.:)

It's not just the written word that makes me goofy, it's the spoken word, too. Commercials on the radio and television are some of the worst offenders. It seems as though even the most rudimentary grammar is ignored. My husband is a writer, too, and suffers from the same malady but not as acutely as I. We're quite the pair when watching television. Thank goodness it's just the two of us, so we don't embarrass anyone or ourselves with our silly, "Did you hear what he/she just said?":wacko:

As for Internet/computer ettiquette, I'm still learning and find the lingo and acronyms interesting and amusing. I did suspect that typing in all caps could be interpreted as shouting and only use caps to emphasize a word or phrase. I prefer italics for that purpose but find it difficult to differentiate within some font styles.

At any rate, just my thoughts on the subject. Everyone's different and not everyone can be an A+ typist either, which is a whole other discussion. I'm happy everyone is having fun and can feel free to express themselves here.

Type on, y'all!:LOL:

thumpershere2 said:
If it's perfect grammer and spelling that is required here then I'm going to be in trouble. I am also a poor typer and I make alot of mistakes. Sorry for all the mistakes and I will still just read the posts.

Don't stop posting, Thumper. I enjoy reading what you have to say. I think what most posters are deploring is the increasing use of abbreviations borrowed from cellphone text messaging and IM use. Things like "cu" instead of "see you." Personally, though I enjoy the elegant use of the English language, the important thing is to be able to accurately express oneself so as to communicate without misunderstanding. I don't think anyone is reading DC with The Chicago Manual of Style in hand. :)

Katie E said:
i've wondered if anyone finds it annoying that i don't capitalize properly?
on another cooking site, i was scolded by an old timer for not taking the time, thereby showing disrespect to the other members by not capitalizing. i couldn't argue much as i was a newbie, and i also repected the old guy's opinions on most things.[quote}

Actually, bucky, it doesn't annoy me. I find it fascinating how everyone expresses him- or herself. I have a background in English/grammar, etc., and am a writer as well, so one of my most maddening (to me) occupational hazards is my built-in radar for proper punctuation, spelling, grammar and all attendant writing "rules." I've also worked as a proofreader/copy editor for a newspaper, which further complicates my condition.:)

It's not just the written word that makes me goofy, it's the spoken word, too. Commercials on the radio and television are some of the worst offenders. It seems as though even the most rudimentary grammar is ignored. My husband is a writer, too, and suffers from the same malady but not as acutely as I. We're quite the pair when watching television. Thank goodness it's just the two of us, so we don't embarrass anyone or ourselves with our silly, "Did you hear what he/she just said?":wacko:

As for Internet/computer ettiquette, I'm still learning and find the lingo and acronyms interesting and amusing. I did suspect that typing in all caps could be interpreted as shouting and only use caps to emphasize a word or phrase. I prefer italics for that purpose but find it difficult to differentiate within some font styles.

At any rate, just my thoughts on the subject. Everyone's different and not everyone can be an A+ typist either, which is a whole other discussion. I'm happy everyone is having fun and can feel free to express themselves here.

Type on, y'all!:LOL:

Same boat here, Katie. I was an Eng lit major but ended up teaching just the mechanics to adult students studying to be court reporters, who in California have to pass a rigorous written test on punctuation, grammar, style, vocabulary, etc. And my husband also has a strong background in such details.

But no one likes a grammar nazi, so it's best to save the nitpicks for those private spousal chats. I've even learned not to cringe at some of my favorite faux pas. :LOL: And of course, teaching adults the stuff they either never learned or had quickly forgotten demanded huge doses of patience and humility.

That said, I always do appreciate clear and concise language. Too much of what passes for communication these days is so incomprehensible that I sometimes get a strange desire to whack the writer with a ruler. :LOL:

you must have gone to catholic school, suzyq. we can compare scars.

can you write on the blackboard, backwards over your shoulder while still facing the class?

my dad was a medic in wwII, then a western union teletype operator, then a fireman, and finally a writer for the associated press. all of these jobs required good typing skills, as well as grammar and spelling. in fact, the reason he was chosen as a medic was he was the only guy in his division who could type. he was always thankful that he didn't have to shoot anyone; just save lives (on both sides, towards the end. if anyone ever tells you the holocaust didn't happen, i'm supposed to slap them in the head! my dad saw it firsthand!)

anyway, he and mom raised our family being good writers, and typists. my brother is an english lit teacher and head of the english dept.. my eldest sister is a grammar school english teacher. i am the exception in the family, i'd guess. i type using only five fingers. three on my right, two on my left.
the only problem being in a house like that was we had to learn to spell quickly. if you asked my dad how to spell something, he spit out the letters really fast, as if he were typing them on a teletype machine.

Last edited:
Heck thumper.... don't stop posting. If you do, I'll have to stop also. I make more mistakes than anyone. Can't type, can't spall... but I get my meaning across. That's what counts.

thumpershere2 said:
If it's perfect grammer and spelling that is required here then I'm going to be in trouble. I am also a poor typer and I make alot of mistakes. Sorry for all the mistakes and I will still just read the posts.
don`t be daft lass, just get yourself a disclaimer in your signature like myself, it werx all the time :)

Meh! The important stuff here is the cooking, camaraderie and recipes. Not the perfection of our grammar or spelling. I'm closing the thread as kitchenelf tells me this notice has done its job. Thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom