"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements
Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 01:33 AM   #41
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
you would be surprised. . . a LOT of copycat sites content are based solely on blatant copy/pasting, with NO credit to the OP or host of the content. Happens more and more every month.
Credit has nothing to do with it, and is no legal excuse that makes quoting a whole work legal.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:43 AM   #42
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
This site does not "own" any of the content posted by users. =) And permission from the author is all it takes to re-post a recipe or idea elsewhere. The truly original content posted here is practically nil.
The site claims copyright (at the bottom of every page) but in fact the only copyright the site has is the assemblage and organization of topics. Original posts are still the intellectual property of the persons who posted them, although posting them here in the forum implies permission for the forum to share them with the public. Permission for use.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:56 AM   #43
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
No, Cat. You don't have to do that. We trust that you are not using them for making money, but just for good eating. That's why we share recipes, so others can try them.
That would be an interesting legal argument. I submit that a restauranteur can use copyrighted recipes for profit as long as they make no reference to the copyrighted work. This is analogous to putting the directions in your own words.

The copyright applies to the words in the description. The use of a recipe cannot be copyrighted.

Do not confuse copyrighting with patents. I am well acquainted with copyright law because I am a published author, but I know virtually nothing about patent law.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:01 AM   #44
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
Oh no!

I have put some pictures on this website. Must I prove these are mine?

Your friend,
~Cat
No, somebody else would have to prove that they are not, and would have to have legal standing (would have to be the copyright owner or their legal representative.)
Old 09-15-2013, 02:05 AM   #45
Executive Chef

Quote:
Oh no!

I have put some pictures on this website. Must I prove these are mine?

Your friend,
~Cat
I'm presuming the photos came from your camera. You cannot legally use photos or images you did not create, except with permission from the IP creator.

If you took the photos yourself, then no problem. In fact in that case YOU are the copyright owner.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:17 AM   #46
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
If a recipe originated as someone else's but you have developed it to such an extent that it now is unrecognisable as the original, is it OK to post it as your own?
Yes, although in my case I always give a tip of the hat to the. Person who inspired me, for ethical reasons, and out of respect.

In fact every recipe on my website has both a credit notice (either it is my own creation, or who inspired it, even if that was my mom) and every page has a copyright notice.

Note again, USCO does not require a copyright notice, but it's a good idea..
Old 09-15-2013, 02:22 AM   #47
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
DC is governed by US copyright law and being we live in such a litigious society, it's best to err on the side of caution.
Every forum with a brain does the same. Except in Russia. They do not recognize US copyright law. Interesting but true.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:24 AM   #48
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
When a recipe is copyrighted, the copyright covers the preparation/cooking instructions, not the ingredients list. So changing the ingredients and not the directions does not make the recipe your own. It's necessary to make a "significant" change to the directions to avoid copyright issues.

Acknowledging the originator of a recipe when you post it does not make it OK. It's nothing more than an admission of guilt on your part. You knowingly posted someone else's property. Makes the law suit much easier to prosecute.

The solution is to post a link to the website that has the recipe and make reference to it in your post.

If you copy a recipe for your own use, that's not a problem. Just don't post it online later as your own work.
Quite!!!
Old 09-15-2013, 02:31 AM   #49
Executive Chef

Quote:
Oh no! I !posted a recipe but just told it was of the Bisquick website! I need to go and get the original, yes?

Your friend,
~Cat
Technically a problem, but in real life not a problem as long as Bisquick is an ingredient and you mentioned them a few times. And don't forget to capitalize their name!!!

In real life they call your post a commercial! )
Old 09-15-2013, 08:14 AM   #50
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
That would be an interesting legal argument. I submit that a restauranteur can use copyrighted recipes for profit as long as they make no reference to the copyrighted work. This is analogous to putting the directions in your own words.

The copyright applies to the words in the description. The use of a recipe cannot be copyrighted.

Do not confuse copyrighting with patents. I am well acquainted with copyright law because I am a published author, but I know virtually nothing about patent law.
I am not confused, I understand copyright law perfectly as I, too, am a published author. I'm attempting to explain a concept to a person whose first language is not English without being pedantic.

Tags
recipe