"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 03-26-2015, 07:05 AM   #1
Head Chef

Curry Forum/International foods Forum?

Desmond raised the topic of the possibility of a curry forum but the topic title was changed , and I think it's possible the thread will sink without a proper discussion on the forum part of his question .

So as a few people were in favour of the idea I thought I would start a separate topic . Obviously this will need Admin input too, I am not sure how the actual site is set up . I used to run one which was fairly easy to change, if parts were not getting used / or become too busy then they could be taken out or updated. I understand that you don't want it to be too complicated so my suggestion is to just update the Ethnic section to reflect International cuisine . Perhaps splitting it into global regions ? So if I wanted a spanish recipe I would look in Europe , that type of thing ?

Curry , as we discussed on Desmonds thread , isn't limited to one country so it could easily carry its own forum .

Just some ideas to update and refresh that particular part , and hopefully to make it easier for people to find , and to file recipes .

Old 03-26-2015, 01:38 PM   #2
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Thanks for posting about this. I'm not sure about a curry forum but we already have an ethnic/international section... would this work? International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Old 03-26-2015, 01:57 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Thanks for posting about this. I'm not sure about a curry forum but we already have an ethnic/international section... would this work? International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums
I think that would be a great place to put a curry subcategory. Right now it's just a mishmash of international recipes, many of them curries. It's a place I might put a recipe that I was contributing, but not a place I would go to look for a recipe.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:58 PM   #4
Head Chef

Thanks Janet , my thoughts are breaking the forum down into specific parts of the world to make searching and posting easier ? It all sits under that one part as far as I can see ? Europe ? Asia etc ?
Old 03-26-2015, 02:02 PM   #5
Head Chef

TL I thought the same thing . I wouldn't look there for a recipe I wouldn't know where to start , so perhaps sub groups at least with which part of the world we are looking at ........
Old 03-26-2015, 03:04 PM   #6
Master Chef

As it stands now, all you need to do is type in "Curry recipes" into our search box at the top right of the page, and you come up with dozens of past recipes and discussions.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:37 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Frankly, curries haven't been a popular topic until recently.

The only time I use a sub-forum is when I have to start a thread in the appropriate place.

If I'm looking for a specific item, I go directly to advanced search and enter the parameters. You can also do an advanced search on Google and specify to search only on DC. Soooo much easier than worrying about which forum to look in for something.

JMHO
Old 03-26-2015, 03:51 PM   #8
Master Chef

Yes, I agree Andy. The big search box at the top right of the page we have with Google takes us to only Discuss Cooking posts on the subject. Easy peasy.

I can see that sub forums of ethnic foods being a big can of worms for a global audience.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:07 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Yes, I agree Andy. The big search box at the top right of the page we have with Google takes us to only Discuss Cooking posts on the subject. Easy peasy.

I can see that sub forums of ethnic foods being a big can of worms for a global audience.
How so? It's already called International and Ethnic. New sub categories could be opened for the cuisines with a some minimum number of topics.

Searching would be easier if people always put tags.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:18 PM   #10
Head Chef

I suppose why have forums for any topic then if we can search for everything ..... Why have forums that are crammed full of stuff thats all lumped in together and it's all a bit of a mish mash . The idea is just to streamline the International part.

Tags
curry, food, forum, international