"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-23-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 285
E-mail notification problem

I have double-checked my edit options to ensure the box for 'Receive Email Notification of New Private Messages' is unchecked. But I am still receiving E-mail notifications.

Is there something I have missed?

Thank you.

__________________

__________________
Poppi G. Koullias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:10 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
What you are receiving are notifications of new posts to the threads you are involved in. The box you checked is for private messages direct to you.

The reason you're getting so many messages is because we are all posting to your threads.

Personally I like it because some days everybody is really busy and no posting is going on so a reminder that someone has posted to something I'm interested in is good so I can keep up with them.

You're getting a lot because you're new and everyone wants to welcome you, and get to know you by replying to your postings.

There is probably a way to turn this function off, but Alix or one of the Site Moderators will have to tell you how.
__________________

__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:14 AM   #3
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
What you are receiving are notifications of new posts to the threads you are involved in. The box you checked is for private messages direct to you.

The reason you're getting so many messages is because we are all posting to your threads.

Personally I like it because some days everybody is really busy and no posting is going on so a reminder that someone has posted to something I'm interested in is good so I can keep up with them.

You're getting a lot because you're new and everyone wants to welcome you, and get to know you by replying to your postings.

There is probably a way to turn this function off, but Alix or one of the Site Moderators will have to tell you how.

Thank you for your help. I will check my c-p again and if no luck, contact Alix.

My E-mail is already busy, but I know what you mean.
__________________
Poppi G. Koullias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:05 AM   #4
Certifiable Executive Chef
 
Janet H's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 3,280
I changed your subscription options. You can also manage these in your user cp now you Are subscribed to threads but with no e-mail notice.
__________________
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:08 AM   #5
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
I changed your subscription options. You can also manage these in your user cp now you Are subscribed to threads but with no e-mail notice.
I am most grateful. Thank you very much.
__________________
Poppi G. Koullias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:40 PM   #6
Flour Child
 
mollyanne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppi G. Koullias View Post
I have double-checked my edit options to ensure the box for 'Receive Email Notification of New Private Messages' is unchecked. But I am still receiving E-mail notifications.

Is there something I have missed?

Thank you.
The same exact thing happened to me. My mailbox is innundated with DC notifications for subscribed-to threads. I also unchecked the email notification option for subscribed threads...to no avail. I figured I was just doing something wrong so never said anything. I would like to continue to receive email notifications of Private Messages....but not all the threads I post to. Can you help me too Janet?
__________________


. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:09 PM   #7
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
The same exact thing happened to me. My mailbox is innundated with DC notifications for subscribed-to threads. I also unchecked the email notification option for subscribed threads...to no avail. I figured I was just doing something wrong so never said anything. I would like to continue to receive email notifications of Private Messages....but not all the threads I post to. Can you help me too Janet?
At the time it was most trying! But what I resorted to in the end, was block the URL.

All good now.
__________________
You can forget what a person looks like, and you can forget what they say. But you will never forget how they made you feel.
Poppi G. Koullias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:17 PM   #8
Certifiable Executive Chef
 
Janet H's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 3,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
The same exact thing happened to me. My mailbox is innundated with DC notifications for subscribed-to threads. I also unchecked the email notification option for subscribed threads...to no avail. I figured I was just doing something wrong so never said anything. I would like to continue to receive email notifications of Private Messages....but not all the threads I post to. Can you help me too Janet?
You may have unchecked the box - but probably didn't scroll and save?
I checked your settings and you were still set to subscribe w/ instant e-mail notice of updates. This has been changed and your subscriptions removed. Your in box should be a lot cleaner in the days to come.
__________________
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:16 AM   #9
Flour Child
 
mollyanne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 1,406
Thank you very much Janet! Whatever you did, it's working! I haven't had any notifications for two days now except for PMs, which is just how I wanted it...perfect...thank you. Admin...you are good!!
__________________

__________________


. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.