"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 07-25-2007, 09:44 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Emergency Forum??

ive had a few panicked moments with this whole cooking thing.... thankfully i had a friend available to pester. did i miss an emergency forum here?? anyone else think its a good idea??

-ashley

Old 07-25-2007, 02:35 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by want4rain
ive had a few panicked moments with this whole cooking thing.... thankfully i had a friend available to pester. did i miss an emergency forum here?? anyone else think its a good idea??

-ashley
No, it's not a good idea because it will just add another category with more of the same duplicate threads. The first thing to ALWAYS do is to search the site. It's faster then posting a question and waiting for someone to answer. If you can't find your answer in a search, just post your question in the "General Cooking" forum and someone will answer it as soon as they can. It could be as little as within a few minutes and it could take even up to a whole day. That's why you should always search before you ask. Most questions have already been answered---sometimes several times--and not only will you often times get your answer, you'll learn a lot more too which can prove even more invaluable than just the answer that you were looking for.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:49 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
If you can't find your answer in a search, just post your question in the "General Cooking" forum
Actually it would be better if you posted in the specific forum to which your question pertains. If you have a question on cooking chicken then post it in the chicken forum. If you question has to do with your stove then post it in the cooking tools forum. If it does not fit any specific category THEN you can out it in the general cooking forum.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:04 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Well, want4rain, this whole site is an emergency forum. As GB and ironchef said, all you have to do is to post your question in the appropriate section. If you are unsure, you can post in "general" questions.

You'll be fine. Just ask away.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:05 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

*laughs* yes, i can only imagine how many times you guys have answered soem of these questions. im also part of a fish forum and i cant tell you how many times i have told soemone the reason their goldfish is dying is becasue it needs to be in (at least) a 15 gallon tank with lots of filteration, a 1 gallon bowl just will NOT cut it. everr. no matter how hard you try.

my thoughts behind the 911 forum were brought on by my daughters birthday cake. i stayed up the night before making lemon cream cheese frosting... got up the next mornign, finished making my cake, went to frosting it and found it solid as a rock because i stuck it in the fridge.

20 minutes till guests start showing up.... im sure glad my moms neighbor was home!! few minutes out in the sun and it softened right up.

*shrugs* just a thought. :)

-ashley
Old 07-26-2007, 10:13 PM   #6
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
An Emergency Forum would be great…..but DC is populated by users that may or may not be online. Unless someone was being paid to sit up in shifts all night to field emergency questions, then the best bet is to just post in the appropriate folder.

When I come to DC, I always click “New Posts” first thing, and even if there was an Emergency Folder, that post would show up on my “New Posts” search. Half the time, I’m in threads and don’t even know where on DC they have been posted because I always work from the New Posts return list.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:03 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin
Unless someone was being paid to sit up in shifts all night to field emergency questions, then the best bet is to just post in the appropriate folder.
I'm about to retire on my fat check I get from this place every month

Others have given you great advice - just post in the appropriate forum. If you have to you can put the word Emergency in your title.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:14 PM   #8
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
LOL! Hey, if I post more, can I get one of those check and retire too!
Old 07-26-2007, 11:25 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf

Others have given you great advice - just post in the appropriate forum. If you have to you can put the word Emergency in your title.
oh yeah, certainatly *not* complaining, you guys have been sooooooo cool, welcoming and patient with my silly questions!!! it was just a thought. :)

-ashley
Old 07-26-2007, 11:30 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

*blushes* and i also didnt mean to amke it sound like i was complaining in my first post!! i wasnt! i just didnt word things right. i havent had an emergency question posted on here. i just had a huge freak out with the whole cream cheese frosting earlier in the month. now one could say that if i had just used my head for a moment i would ahve known that the cream cheese would soften at room temp but i dont recall where i put my head when that happened, maybe thats that sizzling thing on the bottom of my oven??

sorry!!

-ashley