"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 07-01-2012, 11:25 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I wish I had never entered this topic. I appear pedantic as I try to wrestle with explaining technology I barely understand to people who may be less technical than me. Yet at the same time I often enjoy sharing my enthusiasm for technology and science with those who have not gone into it as much as I have.

To start off, your picture as taken on the sensor in the camera is compressed before you ever see it. Our eyes are far more sensitive to green than any other color (our eyes peak at green). Digital camera sensors are divided into red, green and blue sensors (RGB) but they are arrayed as RGBGRGBGRGB, in other words red-blue-green-blue with twice as many greens as reds or blues. As I understand it our eyes peak in acuity in the green region, so it requires more accent on green than on red or blue to create the fine image of the picture, but of course you need the green and red to differentiate the colors. As I understand it the camera calculates two versions of the image, a grey scale bit map of the image detail, and an RGB color image of the colors, and then combines them to produce the image that is saved to the camera's memory.

If I remember correctly the most detail is saved in a TIF image, then BMP (bit map) and then after that JPG and so on. As you progress up the scale the images get less detailed and smaller, more compressed.

As I type this it is all from my memory so I hope I haven't got the facts wrong. You would have to save an image in raw format, RGBG-RGBG-RGBG format to have it not compressed. I'm not sure if cameras even have this available as a user format.

All JPG files are compressed to some degree, and the protocol can be adjusted to almost any desired degree. JPEG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-02-2012, 12:09 AM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Greg and others, thanks for trying to explain what I thought was a simple statement. At this time of day, I'm in no shape to understand your explanations. I'm sufficiently confused to say let's drop the discussion and give the thread back to the
OP.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:38 AM   #13
Executive Chef

If you can understand my explanation then you're doing better than me!

Best advice to Margi: shoot it with your usual camera settings, then upload it to the forum. If you're already doing that and it's not working then explain exactly what you're doing, and what you're shooting with.

Hey, Andy, I thought it was simple too, but the more you dig into it the more narly it gets.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:51 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Thanks to Greg, Andy & Tax Lady

A quick note to let you all know, how much I appreciate your assistance and instructions on enlargening my photos ... I got it ... I see the the appropriate size of the pixel measurements ...

I am going to be able to use my camera Benq ( German brand ) as soon as the factory repairs the Compartment Closure which holds the batteries ...

At moment, my photos are scanned on pendrive USB from my Cellular Samsung Galaxy 2012 Model.

Well, I think I have it ... I shall give it a whirl today or tomorrow and we shall all see ...

Grazie, Ciao,
Happy 4th,

Margi.

Tags
recipe