"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Both in Italy and Spain
Posts: 3,425
Enlarging Photos For Recipe Threads

Buonasera,

Now, that I have managed my 1st two photos, they are quite small ...

Is there a technical way on your end to enlargen them ?

* UK USA Red, White & Blue Trifle

I shall have to do this on my end via my computer and scanner with the Vet ?

Thanks alot for your assistance in advance,
Margi.

__________________

__________________
Margi Cintrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 40,976
The original photo has to be higher resolution. The original photo size (measured in bytes) determines photo size. What are you using to take pictures? Camera? Cell phone?
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #3
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
Minor correction: Picture size is determined by number of pixels. For example, Andy's avatar is 120 x 120 pixels. To get a decent sized picture you might start out with 640 pixels wide x 480 pixels tall, which would be 4 times taller than Andy's avatar, and about 5 times wider.

You should shoot your pictures in at least this high a resolution, although most cameras are set to record in dozens or hundreds times larger. Then you use editing software to shrink and possibly crop your photos to a smaller size, perhaps the size I suggested.

Also, I think the forum software will take a large picture that you upload, and then display it on the forum as a thumbnail, and then forum members/visitors can click on the picture and see the higher resolution version. (That's the way most forums work. I don't know here because I haven't posted any pictures.)
__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 40,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
Minor correction: Picture size is determined by number of pixels...

Also, I think the forum software will take a large picture that you upload, and then display it on the forum as a thumbnail, and then forum members/visitors can click on the picture and see the higher resolution version. (That's the way most forums work. I don't know here because I haven't posted any pictures.)
Greg, isn't there a direct relationship between pixels and bytes (kilo-, mega- etc). So more pixels = more bytes and vice versa?

I never resize pictures. My photos are around 4-5 megapixels and the site software does indeed resize them to a appropriate size for display in a post.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #5
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
Actually Andy there's an indirect relationship between pixels and file size, because most image formats (e.g. JPG or JPEG) can be compressed to varying sizes. Less compression = more fidelity, more compression decreases file size at the cost of fidelity. This is for the same vertical and horizontal pixel size (resolution), but different file sizes. You can easily compress files using most image editing software.

However we agree that Margi should try uploading full resolution pictures.
__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 40,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
Actually Andy there's an indirect relationship between pixels and file size, because most image formats (e.g. JPG or JPEG) can be compressed to varying sizes. Less compression = more fidelity, more compression decreases file size at the cost of fidelity. This is for the same vertical and horizontal pixel size (resolution), but different file sizes. You can easily compress files using most image editing software.

However we agree that Margi should try uploading full resolution pictures.
To clarify, when you take a picture then download it to your computer and save it, it's not compressed unless I choose to compress it. Right? So wouldn't there be a direct relationship between pixels and bytes unless photos are compressed?
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:03 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,699
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
To clarify, when you take a picture then download it to your computer and save it, it's not compressed unless I choose to compress it. Right? So wouldn't there be a direct relationship between pixels and bytes unless photos are compressed?
I think jpeg automatically compresses some. E.g., 15 black pixels in a row are not stored as 15 black pixels, but by some algorithm that equals 15 black pixels. So pix with big areas of the exact same colour take less space.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 23,497
You guys are making my head hurt. Nice thing about iPhone/iPad is they figure out all this for you!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 40,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I think jpeg automatically compresses some. E.g., 15 black pixels in a row are not stored as 15 black pixels, but by some algorithm that equals 15 black pixels. So pix with big areas of the exact same colour take less space.

OK. Let's keep it simple for the old guy.

If I take a pic with a 5 megapixel camera, then take the same pic with a 12 megapixel camera. The two photos' file sizes are going to be progressively larger. I know this because it's what I see on my iPhoto library of pics.

Pics I took on a 5.1 mp camera range in file size from 1.7 to 3.8 mb. Pics I took on my 12 mp camera range in file size from 4.5 - 5.5 mp.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,699
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
OK. Let's keep it simple for the old guy.

If I take a pic with a 5 megapixel camera, then take the same pic with a 12 megapixel camera. The two photos' file sizes are going to be progressively larger. I know this because it's what I see on my iPhoto library of pics.

Pics I took on a 5.1 mp camera range in file size from 1.7 to 3.8 mb. Pics I took on my 12 mp camera range in file size from 4.5 - 5.5 mp.
Yup. The variation in file size for the same size of picture is due to the differences in compression. The pix with the biggest areas of the same colour will make the smallest files size.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
recipe

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2015 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.