"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 07-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Enlarging Photos For Recipe Threads

Buonasera,

Now, that I have managed my 1st two photos, they are quite small ...

Is there a technical way on your end to enlargen them ?

* UK USA Red, White & Blue Trifle

I shall have to do this on my end via my computer and scanner with the Vet ?

Thanks alot for your assistance in advance,
Margi.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

The original photo has to be higher resolution. The original photo size (measured in bytes) determines photo size. What are you using to take pictures? Camera? Cell phone?

Old 07-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Minor correction: Picture size is determined by number of pixels. For example, Andy's avatar is 120 x 120 pixels. To get a decent sized picture you might start out with 640 pixels wide x 480 pixels tall, which would be 4 times taller than Andy's avatar, and about 5 times wider.

You should shoot your pictures in at least this high a resolution, although most cameras are set to record in dozens or hundreds times larger. Then you use editing software to shrink and possibly crop your photos to a smaller size, perhaps the size I suggested.

Also, I think the forum software will take a large picture that you upload, and then display it on the forum as a thumbnail, and then forum members/visitors can click on the picture and see the higher resolution version. (That's the way most forums work. I don't know here because I haven't posted any pictures.)
Old 07-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
Minor correction: Picture size is determined by number of pixels...

Also, I think the forum software will take a large picture that you upload, and then display it on the forum as a thumbnail, and then forum members/visitors can click on the picture and see the higher resolution version. (That's the way most forums work. I don't know here because I haven't posted any pictures.)
Greg, isn't there a direct relationship between pixels and bytes (kilo-, mega- etc). So more pixels = more bytes and vice versa?

I never resize pictures. My photos are around 4-5 megapixels and the site software does indeed resize them to a appropriate size for display in a post.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Actually Andy there's an indirect relationship between pixels and file size, because most image formats (e.g. JPG or JPEG) can be compressed to varying sizes. Less compression = more fidelity, more compression decreases file size at the cost of fidelity. This is for the same vertical and horizontal pixel size (resolution), but different file sizes. You can easily compress files using most image editing software.

However we agree that Margi should try uploading full resolution pictures.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
Actually Andy there's an indirect relationship between pixels and file size, because most image formats (e.g. JPG or JPEG) can be compressed to varying sizes. Less compression = more fidelity, more compression decreases file size at the cost of fidelity. This is for the same vertical and horizontal pixel size (resolution), but different file sizes. You can easily compress files using most image editing software.

However we agree that Margi should try uploading full resolution pictures.
To clarify, when you take a picture then download it to your computer and save it, it's not compressed unless I choose to compress it. Right? So wouldn't there be a direct relationship between pixels and bytes unless photos are compressed?
Old 07-01-2012, 09:03 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
To clarify, when you take a picture then download it to your computer and save it, it's not compressed unless I choose to compress it. Right? So wouldn't there be a direct relationship between pixels and bytes unless photos are compressed?
I think jpeg automatically compresses some. E.g., 15 black pixels in a row are not stored as 15 black pixels, but by some algorithm that equals 15 black pixels. So pix with big areas of the exact same colour take less space.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

You guys are making my head hurt. Nice thing about iPhone/iPad is they figure out all this for you!
Old 07-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I think jpeg automatically compresses some. E.g., 15 black pixels in a row are not stored as 15 black pixels, but by some algorithm that equals 15 black pixels. So pix with big areas of the exact same colour take less space.

OK. Let's keep it simple for the old guy.

If I take a pic with a 5 megapixel camera, then take the same pic with a 12 megapixel camera. The two photos' file sizes are going to be progressively larger. I know this because it's what I see on my iPhoto library of pics.

Pics I took on a 5.1 mp camera range in file size from 1.7 to 3.8 mb. Pics I took on my 12 mp camera range in file size from 4.5 - 5.5 mp.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
OK. Let's keep it simple for the old guy.

If I take a pic with a 5 megapixel camera, then take the same pic with a 12 megapixel camera. The two photos' file sizes are going to be progressively larger. I know this because it's what I see on my iPhoto library of pics.

Pics I took on a 5.1 mp camera range in file size from 1.7 to 3.8 mb. Pics I took on my 12 mp camera range in file size from 4.5 - 5.5 mp.
Yup. The variation in file size for the same size of picture is due to the differences in compression. The pix with the biggest areas of the same colour will make the smallest files size.

Tags
recipe