"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements
Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I don't understand why you're making a big deal about it.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I don't understand why you're making a big deal about it.
Other members made a big deal about whether eggs are hard boiled or hard cooked.

I'm tired of typing :smile: when I could more easily type :) and I'm tried of having to make emoticons one way on DC and a different way on every other forum on the Internet. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Obviously it's no big deal for people who aren't good touch typists. How is your typing?

Also, what's the big deal about changing it? Would take an admin about 5 minutes to fix the issue. It wouldn't hurt a thing, no negative effects. Old smiley abbreviation would work just the same as it always has. Another likely benefit, even all the old posts that used ;) and :) would be updated with smiley images. Total cost: 5 minutes of one administrator's time, probably almost there in time spent reading this topic.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
The way these were done is a legacy issue that would involve a lot more work to fix than the benefit...

This tells me it's not a "five minute" fix.

Smilies help disambiguate what emotions you are putting out there. We have dozens available at a click of the mouse. I use a handful and I think most people understand what I'm saying. As I type this, there are 21 different smilies to the left of the text window. Is it harder to click a smilie that to type it? Maybe the solution is to use fewer smilies.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
CharlieD, if you look below the Smiles list. it says [More]. Click that for a bigger selection.

I know, still the quality and selection is really, hmmm, how should I say that, old, poor, there are much better smilies out there.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #15
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Greg - thanks for the suggestion. It is a legacy issue as mentioned earlier. Changing the short cuts for existing images, breaks those images. It might be worth adding the same images as duplicates with the ;) and :) as shortcuts so they could be used either way.

Let me give this some thought....
Old 05-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Janet, you're not changing the shortcuts for existing images. You're adding new shortcuts for new images.

I know you understand what I mean. (You're giving it further thought.) The PHP processor and forum code have no way of understanding that the new shortcuts to new images are the same images as the old images. You just create a copy of any particular smiley and give it a new name. Perhaps you copy smile.gif and name the copy smile1.gif. You copy wink.gif and name the copy wink1.gif. You copy biggrin.gif and rename the copy biggrin1.gif. And then you add new shortcuts and point them towards the new images.

And I'm not asking you to do them all. That would be totally unreasonable and lots of work to do a whole bunch of them. Just a few of the most popular ones. Perhaps just these three:

:)
;)
:D
Old 05-15-2012, 07:42 PM   #17
Head Chef

I don't even know what these stand for.

What's Woot & Ninja mean?
Old 05-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Other members made a big deal about whether eggs are hard boiled or hard cooked.

I'm tired of typing :smile: when I could more easily type :) and I'm tried of having to make emoticons one way on DC and a different way on every other forum on the Internet. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Obviously it's no big deal for people who aren't good touch typists. How is your typing?

Also, what's the big deal about changing it? Would take an admin about 5 minutes to fix the issue. It wouldn't hurt a thing, no negative effects. Old smiley abbreviation would work just the same as it always has. Another likely benefit, even all the old posts that used ;) and :) would be updated with smiley images. Total cost: 5 minutes of one administrator's time, probably almost there in time spent reading this topic.
At the height of my typing skills, I typed over 100 wpm.

Anyway, again, if you "Go Advanced" when you post, you can click on the most popular smilies to enter them without having to type anything out.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:50 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Hmm I always see colon parentheses as smiley faces. Perhaps because I use an iPhone?
Old 05-15-2012, 07:52 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post

I don't even know what these stand for.

What's Woot & Ninja mean?
you know woot! Like yay! and ninja in this respect means sneaky/ hiding (in my eyes anyway!)

In regards to OP:

I think I am just not understanding because I dont type out smile, the emoticon is right beside me, along with about 82 altogether if you click more.

Are you wanting to be able to just click :) and the proper emoticon comes up?

Closed Thread