"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements
Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

It's never made any difference to me which way it's shown; the message gets across whether it's ;) or .

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #22
Executive Chef

There seems to be a basic disconnect in understanding here.

I type at perhaps 80-100 wpm when typing text. But that's only when my fingers are in home position. If I have to reach over and mouse click something my speed drops drastically because one hand is not on the keyboard, it's on the mouse. Then I have to find home position again. I'm not sure that people who type slowly or hunt and peck understand this, at least not from the replies I'm reading.

But this isn't just about me. If it was all about me I would have never posted the OP. I see many new members and infrequent posters using :) and ;). They assume these work because they work on all the other forums they've been on.

DC is the only forum I've ever seen where ;) and :) don't work, and I've been on a lot of forums over the years. I see this as a minor job for some administrator that would take only a few minutes, and I think many would appreciate the fix even if they don't realize it could be fixed.

Most people don't even proof read their own posts. Many of them probably don't even realize the :) and ;) don't work.

So just to be clear, I don't want to click on anything. I want to type it and it would be nice if DC followed the smiley conventions used on almost all other forums.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:45 PM   #23
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
There seems to be a basic disconnect in understanding here.

I type at perhaps 80-100 wpm when typing text. But that's only when my fingers are in home position. If I have to reach over and mouse click something my speed drops drastically because one hand is not on the keyboard, it's on the mouse. Then I have to find home position again. I'm not sure that people who type slowly or hunt and peck understand this, at least not from the replies I'm reading.

But this isn't just about me. If it was all about me I would have never posted the OP. I see many new members and infrequent posters using :) and ;). They assume these work because they work on all the other forums they've been on.

DC is the only forum I've ever seen where ;) and :) don't work, and I've been on a lot of forums over the years. I see this as a minor job for some administrator that would take only a few minutes, and I think many would appreciate the fix even if they don't realize it could be fixed.

Most people don't even proof read their own posts. Many of them probably don't even realize the :) and ;) don't work.

So just to be clear, I don't want to click on anything. I want to type it and it would be nice if DC followed the smiley conventions used on almost all other forums.
I find the classic emotions enable a wider range of expression. I like the choice of a more subtle :) or ;) instead of or cartoon. To each his own.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #24
Executive Chef

That is a valid point 40. To eat, his own!
Old 05-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #25
Everymom

I too type about 80-100 wpm. So the theory about hunt and peck doesn't apply to me either.

I'm not a big smiley user. I will use them occasionally to reinforce that I'm joking or being a smart ass, but that's about it.

I'm content with the status quo (if you're taking votes) as I don't feel the need to be racing with my posts here at DC.

I suspect those who use the mobile apps see smileys when ;) is typed anyway so there is really no issue on their end either.

Thanks for being so on top of all the little software issues that crop up Janet. Much appreciated.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:15 AM   #26
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
I too type about 80-100 wpm. So the theory about hunt and peck doesn't apply to me either.

I'm not a big smiley user. I will use them occasionally to reinforce that I'm joking or being a smart ass, but that's about it.

I'm content with the status quo (if you're taking votes) as I don't feel the need to be racing with my posts here at DC.

I suspect those who use the mobile apps see smileys when ;) is typed anyway so there is really no issue on their end either.

Thanks for being so on top of all the little software issues that crop up Janet. Much appreciated.
This is true- I didn't even know that :) didn't show up as a smiley to other people! I actually was curious why so many people on this site wrote it out, but never thought to ask. Now I know lol
Old 05-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
I find the classic emotions enable a wider range of expression. I like the choice of a more subtle :) or ;) instead of or cartoon. To each his own.

+1
Old 05-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #28
Wine Guy

Quote:
I see this as a minor job for some administrator that would take only a few minutes
I'm a sysadmin on another forum that runs vBulletin (version 4.1.8, a little newer version than DC). FrankZ is absolutely correct about this being a legacy issue. vBulletin only allows only ONE text variation for each smiley. So you can either have ": smile :" (no spaces) or ":)". You can't have both.

I think what Frank is saying is that ": smile :" has been used for years on DC. If you were to suddenly change it to :), it would break all of the previous posts.

Gourmet Greg, if you can type 80-100 words a minute, then what exactly is the issue? You should be able to type ": smile :" in 3/4 of a second or less... right?
Old 05-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

If you use the orange "post reply" at the bottom, smileys will show at the right side with the option of [more} at the bottom. If you use the "post a quick reply" in grey at the bottom, you don't have that options.

I too am a speed typist, and I have no problem taking my hands off the keyboard to use the mouse. After all, what am I in such a hurry about that I am to fret over taking my hands off the keyboard and using the mouse. When I am typing in Word I use shortucts provided by Windows for many of the commands. I never use the mouse to use the bold, italic, underline, etc. I know all the commands that I learned when computers first came out and I was doing data entry. But that option is not available in this format. No big deal. I reach for the mouse. Sure a drool smiley would be nice. But I am happy with what has been provided to us. But "yum" says the same thing.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I'm a sysadmin on another forum that runs vBulletin (version 4.1.8, a little newer version than DC). FrankZ is absolutely correct about this being a legacy issue. vBulletin only allows only ONE text variation for each smiley. So you can either have ": smile :" (no spaces) or ":)". You can't have both.

I think what Frank is saying is that ": smile :" has been used for years on DC. If you were to suddenly change it to :), it would break all of the previous posts.

Gourmet Greg, if you can type 80-100 words a minute, then what exactly is the issue? You should be able to type ": smile :" in 3/4 of a second or less... right?
I still say you can have two different smiles with two different codes, except they just happen to lead to different .gif images which are identical images.

I never suggested changing the old code to a new code. My suggestion would not affect any existing codes. It would just add three new codes and three new images, except the three new images would be copies of some old smileys. There is no way the forum software would know the images are the same. You just put the copied images in the same directory as the existing images.

I'm sorry I ever started this topic.