"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements
Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #31
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I'm sorry I ever started this topic.
I have no idea why this is such an issue...emoticons are mere shorttcuts for REAL words...and IF you're able to expound such a topic as this with with all the words I've seen so far, then can't you express yourself withOUT emoticons...???

How ever did you communicate before the use of emoticons...???

If you really want a certain emoticon, then go to a web site that has a sh*t load of them, right click on the ones you want, Save As...then, when typing in a msg, Insert Image with your icon of choice. But you'll have to stick the icons someplace that uses a URL, such as PhotoBucket...

That's a lot of work just for a emoticon...so try using real words if you're such a good typist...I'm a hunt and peck typer, and I seem to be able to express myself without using graphic crutches...

Happy Happy Joy Joy

Old 05-16-2012, 05:35 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back Rhodes View Post
I have no idea why this is such an issue...emoticons are mere shorttcuts for REAL words...and IF you're able to expound such a topic as this with with all the words I've seen so far, then can't you express yourself withOUT emoticons...???

If you really want a certain emoticon, then go to a web site that has a sh*t load of them, right click on the ones you want, Save As...then, when typing in a msg, Insert Image with your icon of choice. But you'll have to stick the icons someplace that uses a URL, such as PhotoBucket...

That's a lot of work just for a emoticon...so try using real words if you're such a good typist...I'm a hunt and peck typer, and I seem to be able to express myself without using graphic crutches...

Happy Happy Joy Joy
We don't use emoticons when talking face to face. They are an aid to expressing those things we express with our faces as opposed to with words.

The OP wanted to be able to type a shortcut, not have to use his mouse.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Normal everyday interactions in real life involve not only what is said but also tone of voice, facial expressions, body language and other non-vocal cues. When communicating on the Internet those cues are absent, and that has led to misunderstandings and all too often to flames. Emoticons are one way of providing additional cues with textual communications to add nonverbal cues back.

I appreciate that TL and a few others understand that not everybody wants to go grab a mouse, and the reasons why some folks prefer text entry.

And I'm still sorry I started this topic. It's already caused more hard feelings that any benefit was worth.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I too type about 80-100 wpm. So the theory about hunt and peck doesn't apply to me either.

I'm not a big smiley user. I will use them occasionally to reinforce that I'm joking or being a smart ass, but that's about it.

I'm content with the status quo (if you're taking votes) as I don't feel the need to be racing with my posts here at DC.

I suspect those who use the mobile apps see smileys when ;) is typed anyway so there is really no issue on their end either.

Thanks for being so on top of all the little software issues that crop up Janet. Much appreciated.
Exactly, Alix. I used to fume about having to stop and use the mouse, but that was back when I first started using a computer for personal reasons. I got over it a long time ago. Now it's just second nature, or an extra hand if you want to look at it that way.

It wasn't until I got involved here with DC that I started using smileys. I'm in no rush and I like that they are available to punctuate my meaning or mood. The written word can so easily be misunderstood.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #35
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back Rhodes

Happy Happy Joy Joy
I think it was just a suggestion, not that he was making a big deal out of it, or that he wants more emoticons. I understand what he's getting at, and I'm sure he gave the administrators something to consider. Nuff said :)
Old 05-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Next time I'll just feed you folks some darned recipes! :) :D :P

There is one emoticon I like that isn't on the forum. I have my own copy and I use it rarely. I like it better that it isn't on the list because when I use it my post is distinctive. Anybody who wants their own emoticons can add them anytime they like. All they have to do is find a place to host their images.

And no this isn't it: