Forum smileys (AKA emoticons)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's never made any difference to me which way it's shown; the message gets across whether it's ;) or :yum:.

There seems to be a basic disconnect in understanding here.

I type at perhaps 80-100 wpm when typing text. But that's only when my fingers are in home position. If I have to reach over and mouse click something my speed drops drastically because one hand is not on the keyboard, it's on the mouse. Then I have to find home position again. I'm not sure that people who type slowly or hunt and peck understand this, at least not from the replies I'm reading.

But this isn't just about me. If it was all about me I would have never posted the OP. I see many new members and infrequent posters using :) and ;). They assume these work because they work on all the other forums they've been on.

DC is the only forum I've ever seen where ;) and :) don't work, and I've been on a lot of forums over the years. I see this as a minor job for some administrator that would take only a few minutes, and I think many would appreciate the fix even if they don't realize it could be fixed.

Most people don't even proof read their own posts. Many of them probably don't even realize the :) and ;) don't work.

So just to be clear, I don't want to click on anything. I want to type it and it would be nice if DC followed the smiley conventions used on almost all other forums.

Last edited:
There seems to be a basic disconnect in understanding here.

I type at perhaps 80-100 wpm when typing text. But that's only when my fingers are in home position. If I have to reach over and mouse click something my speed drops drastically because one hand is not on the keyboard, it's on the mouse. Then I have to find home position again. I'm not sure that people who type slowly or hunt and peck understand this, at least not from the replies I'm reading.

But this isn't just about me. If it was all about me I would have never posted the OP. I see many new members and infrequent posters using :) and ;). They assume these work because they work on all the other forums they've been on.

DC is the only forum I've ever seen where ;) and :) don't work, and I've been on a lot of forums over the years. I see this as a minor job for some administrator that would take only a few minutes, and I think many would appreciate the fix even if they don't realize it could be fixed.

Most people don't even proof read their own posts. Many of them probably don't even realize the :) and ;) don't work.

So just to be clear, I don't want to click on anything. I want to type it and it would be nice if DC followed the smiley conventions used on almost all other forums.

I find the classic emotions enable a wider range of expression. I like the choice of a more subtle :) or ;) instead of :) or ;) cartoon. To each his own.

I too type about 80-100 wpm. So the theory about hunt and peck doesn't apply to me either.

I'm not a big smiley user. I will use them occasionally to reinforce that I'm joking or being a smart ass, but that's about it.

I'm content with the status quo (if you're taking votes) as I don't feel the need to be racing with my posts here at DC.

I suspect those who use the mobile apps see smileys when ;) is typed anyway so there is really no issue on their end either.

Thanks for being so on top of all the little software issues that crop up Janet. Much appreciated.

Alix said:
I too type about 80-100 wpm. So the theory about hunt and peck doesn't apply to me either.

I'm not a big smiley user. I will use them occasionally to reinforce that I'm joking or being a smart ass, but that's about it.

I'm content with the status quo (if you're taking votes) as I don't feel the need to be racing with my posts here at DC.

I suspect those who use the mobile apps see smileys when ;) is typed anyway so there is really no issue on their end either.

Thanks for being so on top of all the little software issues that crop up Janet. Much appreciated.

This is true- I didn't even know that :) didn't show up as a smiley to other people! I actually was curious why so many people on this site wrote it out, but never thought to ask. Now I know lol

I see this as a minor job for some administrator that would take only a few minutes
I'm a sysadmin on another forum that runs vBulletin (version 4.1.8, a little newer version than DC). FrankZ is absolutely correct about this being a legacy issue. vBulletin only allows only ONE text variation for each smiley. So you can either have ": smile :" (no spaces) or ":)". You can't have both.

I think what Frank is saying is that ": smile :" has been used for years on DC. If you were to suddenly change it to :), it would break all of the previous posts.

Gourmet Greg, if you can type 80-100 words a minute, then what exactly is the issue? You should be able to type ": smile :" in 3/4 of a second or less... right?

Last edited:
If you use the orange "post reply" at the bottom, smiley:)s will show at the right side with the option of [more} at the bottom. If you use the "post a quick reply" in grey at the bottom, you don't have that options.

I too am a speed typist, and I have no problem taking my hands off the keyboard to use the mouse. After all, what am I in such a hurry about that I am to fret over taking my hands off the keyboard and using the mouse. When I am typing in Word I use shortucts provided by Windows for many of the commands. I never use the mouse to use the bold, italic, underline, etc. I know all the commands that I learned when computers first came out and I was doing data entry. But that option is not available in this format. No big deal. I reach for the mouse. Sure a drool smiley would be nice. But I am happy with what has been provided to us. But "yum" says the same thing.

I'm a sysadmin on another forum that runs vBulletin (version 4.1.8, a little newer version than DC). FrankZ is absolutely correct about this being a legacy issue. vBulletin only allows only ONE text variation for each smiley. So you can either have ": smile :" (no spaces) or ":)". You can't have both.

I think what Frank is saying is that ": smile :" has been used for years on DC. If you were to suddenly change it to :), it would break all of the previous posts.

Gourmet Greg, if you can type 80-100 words a minute, then what exactly is the issue? You should be able to type ": smile :" in 3/4 of a second or less... right?

I still say you can have two different smiles with two different codes, except they just happen to lead to different .gif images which are identical images.

I never suggested changing the old code to a new code. My suggestion would not affect any existing codes. It would just add three new codes and three new images, except the three new images would be copies of some old smileys. There is no way the forum software would know the images are the same. You just put the copied images in the same directory as the existing images.

I'm sorry I ever started this topic.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I ever started this topic.

I have no idea why this is such an issue...emoticons are mere shorttcuts for REAL words...and IF you're able to expound such a topic as this with with all the words I've seen so far, then can't you express yourself withOUT emoticons...???

How ever did you communicate before the use of emoticons...???

If you really want a certain emoticon, then go to a web site that has a sh*t load of them, right click on the ones you want, Save As...then, when typing in a msg, Insert Image with your icon of choice. But you'll have to stick the icons someplace that uses a URL, such as PhotoBucket...

That's a lot of work just for a emoticon...so try using real words if you're such a good typist...I'm a hunt and peck typer, and I seem to be able to express myself without using graphic crutches...

Happy Happy Joy Joy

I have no idea why this is such an issue...emoticons are mere shorttcuts for REAL words...and IF you're able to expound such a topic as this with with all the words I've seen so far, then can't you express yourself withOUT emoticons...???

If you really want a certain emoticon, then go to a web site that has a sh*t load of them, right click on the ones you want, Save As...then, when typing in a msg, Insert Image with your icon of choice. But you'll have to stick the icons someplace that uses a URL, such as PhotoBucket...

That's a lot of work just for a emoticon...so try using real words if you're such a good typist...I'm a hunt and peck typer, and I seem to be able to express myself without using graphic crutches...

Happy Happy Joy Joy
We don't use emoticons when talking face to face. They are an aid to expressing those things we express with our faces as opposed to with words.

The OP wanted to be able to type a shortcut, not have to use his mouse.

Normal everyday interactions in real life involve not only what is said but also tone of voice, facial expressions, body language and other non-vocal cues. When communicating on the Internet those cues are absent, and that has led to misunderstandings and all too often to flames. Emoticons are one way of providing additional cues with textual communications to add nonverbal cues back.

I appreciate that TL and a few others understand that not everybody wants to go grab a mouse, and the reasons why some folks prefer text entry.

And I'm still sorry I started this topic. It's already caused more hard feelings that any benefit was worth.

Exactly, Alix. I used to fume about having to stop and use the mouse, but that was back when I first started using a computer for personal reasons. I got over it a long time ago. Now it's just second nature, or an extra hand if you want to look at it that way.

It wasn't until I got involved here with DC that I started using smileys. I'm in no rush and I like that they are available to punctuate my meaning or mood. The written word can so easily be misunderstood.

Last edited:
Back Rhodes said:

Happy Happy Joy Joy

I think it was just a suggestion, not that he was making a big deal out of it, or that he wants more emoticons. I understand what he's getting at, and I'm sure he gave the administrators something to consider. Nuff said :)

Next time I'll just feed you folks some darned recipes! :) :D :P

There is one emoticon I like that isn't on the forum. I have my own copy and I use it rarely. I like it better that it isn't on the list because when I use it my post is distinctive. Anybody who wants their own emoticons can add them anytime they like. All they have to do is find a place to host their images.

And no this isn't it:
bugzc5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom